Author Topic: getting into yoga?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Bacon

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 263
  • Soft hated: 27
  • 5'2" or nothin' bru
    • View Profile
getting into yoga?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I lift things up and put them down.
    I need the sea because it teaches me.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
    • Mac OS X 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.3 Safari 5.0.3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    Re: getting into yoga?
    « Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I took a Hot yoga class for the first time last Sunday with Mrs. Shacky and OMFG, that class kicked my A$$. I felt faint, I felt sick, I felt broken and euphoric, then sunburnt and then drained. It was farking great, hard as hell but great. I shall return. I'm training for the Paris marathon and I think this Hot Yoga Stuff will help me with that. 

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The endorphin kick after is a wonder to behold.

Probably going again on Sunday to the 6 pm class.

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.6.6 Firefox 3.6.6
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 09:12:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ...ahhh yoga!! does a body good

after a 2 year hiatus of not doing yoga i made 2010's resolution to do yoga at least twice a week - its now 2011 and not only did i stick to that resolution but i can honestly say i cant imagine NOT doing yoga at least twice a week.  i started out doing yoga in nyc a while back thanks to the advice of our resident chiro/top notch surfer/friend dr nick (mullet hopper) - my neck was jacked and he recommended that i start doing anusara yoga at this place called VIRA Yoga in soho on broadway (between houston and prince).  that style of yoga is great - its about flow, alignment and balance - more of that meditative hippy crap ha

nowadays I alternate between Hatha and Ashtanga styles of yoga (which arent much different especially given who's teaching the class i go to)... its a good mix of your standard vinyasa's with some difficult poses thrown in as well as arm balances, hand stands etc...

...my thoughts on hot yoga:
    (for the past 4 years ive been living in encinitas california - arguably the yoga capital of the western world and there is a yoga studio on every corner with some "style" yoga ive never heard of that claims its the next best thing but in reality its just your basic vinyasa flow with some weird brown trout thrown in)

...ok now onto hot yoga.  I sweat like a pig in my normal yoga class so i couldnt imagine a heated class but wanted to see what all the hype was about so I paid $10 for an unlimited week at this place called "yoga tropics" (its in downtown encinitas on the 101 and i have never seen so many hot girls practically naked in my life)... so the first time i went i go to what they call their "yoga 1" which is their basic hot yoga... the heat is turned up to 103 so right off the bat i am dripping sweat - i am crammed in a steamy room next to gorgeous women with my shirt off (life was good)... the poses were pretty basic, almost too basic but i had a really hard time keeping with my breathe and found my mind wandering constantly... by the time we got to the end of the 50 min class (thats too short) there was very little oxygen left in the room and i had the most restless panicky shavasanna (sp?) - thats a resting pose and all i wanted to do was get the hell out of there... i felt pretty good after the class though... i tried that class one more time another day and still got the restless "get me the hell out of here" feeling... I did try one of their heated vinyasa classes they offered - the heat was turned down to 97 and much less crowded because it was an advanced class - that was a great class!

anyway - i am not a big fan of the heated yoga sensation...

I say try a bunch of different styles of yoga (vinyasa, hatha & ashtanga are all really good), get your breathing down and stick with it.  I consider myself a pretty advanced yogi and still find myself getting humbled constantly by the poses - so remember, its a practice!
    definitely introduce yourself to the teacher before the class, tell them of your ailments so they can make sure you dont do something that will hurt you and have fun - i am the most high strung impatient person but love this brown trout haha

namaste bitches!!!
    team freeloader!

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Mac OS X 10.4.11 Mac OS X 10.4.11
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.1.2 Safari 4.1.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ha i finally joined a yoga studio a few weeks back out of desperation. My body thanks me. 8)
    Darian would go

Emma6Ward

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 02:01:47 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yoga  is a form of fitness and has been practices over the years.....it is uses to give relaxation therapy to mind and body by practicing long poses...you can fit yoga into your life...

Offline frroK

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Mac OS X 10.6.6 Mac OS X 10.6.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.3 Safari 5.0.3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • im a newbie also..after about 6 classes i feel great..and i cant beleive how much better I am now at doing some of the poses.  And I think bikram will help me with my shoulder and rib issues. I think it already has.  i have roator cuff impingement so i just modify some of the poses in the beginning. but now I can do them without discomfort.  bikram is supposed to help in healing due to the compression.

Offline surfplusart

• Wahine
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Mac OS X 10.5.6 Mac OS X 10.5.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 3.2.1 Safari 3.2.1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • In my newbie opinion, I think bikram and ashtanga are the challenging classes at the newbie level because a lot of it is impossible to do, so you have to work up to it, or do modified versions. I took the easiest level ashtanga class last week (my background is I have a book, so I've gone through most of the basic stuff) -- geez surprise, pretty much everyone else had some significant background (headstands) even at the easiest level. (I think it really depends on the instructor and his/her following.) It was somewhat intimidating and demanding, but felt really worthwhile, and my body was crushed for 2 days. The instructor at the end says, everyone, you must practice! AHHHHH!!!! Nowhere to hide in this class.
    Darian would go

Offline boyeee

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.6.6 Firefox 3.6.6
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • a good instructor will walk around the room and help you with your technique and make you feel really comfortable...

dont ever be intimidated, there are people of all different levels in every class and no one is even looking at you anyway... just stick with it and focus on your breath, getting deeper into a pose will come with time.

I say take a few classes until you find one with an instructor you like... introduce yourself and let them know you are new - they will come around and adjust you and make your experience better

yoga definitely improves your surfing too!!
    team freeloader!

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 7.0 MS Internet Explorer 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • just thought i would mention to anyone in LB, i've been enjoying the new yoga studio: http://www.yogalongbeach.com/

it's right across from the train station. i've taken 4-5 classes with Kat, so far. i used to dabble in bikram. i think it works for injuries, but i find myself just really annoyed most of the class. maybe it's my liver screaming at me.

Kat's class is heated, but not quite like bikram hot. i find it a nice combination of soothing and challenging - lots of arm stands and inversion-type stuff (sorry, i don't have my yoga lingo down, but stuff like crow, and side-crow and some other arm stands) and lots of sun saluations and twists to open up the hips and stretch. it's a good core workout and stretch, and the place has a good vibe. i'm always happier after a class.

anyway, just thought i would throw that out there for anyone who was curious about the new place...

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my wifey teaches there periodically.  i'll let you know the next time she's on the schedule.
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 05:31:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my wifey teaches there periodically.  i'll let you know the next time she's on the schedule.
    Awesome!

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah, she has a pretty challenging Vinyasa series she developed that I'd bet you'd love. 
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline DukeStorm

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 9
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 07:20:41 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I did a couple basic classes with my wife and do enjoy it as well. As I write, my shoulder is stiff as hell and I just feel generally stiff-looking forward to a couple more classes soon. The place near me not only has hot Bikram, but also hot vinyasa as well..... I haven't done a hot class yet, but would like to try.

Offline shawn36pratt

• Liked: 0
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.6.15 Firefox 3.6.15
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 03:41:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yoga one of the best way to keep yourself healthy and fit. It should be done regularly so as to keep yourself healthy. From childhood only we should have a habit of it so as not to suffer in the future from various diseases.