Author Topic: NY Assembly overwhelmingly passess moratorium on Fracking  (Read 4042 times)

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 49
  • Soft hated: 2
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
Re: NY Assembly overwhelmingly passess moratorium on Fracking
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • To summarize, you guys know all of the anti's propaganda but didn't even know what an actual gas well looks like.  OK.  Got it.

Offline Looseness

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 86
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • To summarize, you guys know all of the anti's propaganda but didn't even know what an actual gas well looks like.  OK.  Got it.

Thanks. You're either sheep or smart eh? I thought I and others posed some legitimate questions to you based in actual informed research of your and other sources. You choose not to question that website with an agenda that made infographic that left out the actual toxic components. I don't fault them for having the agenda, I fault them for leaving out information and manipulating it. You don't consider ANY of the arguments {against} made even possibly valid? I consider some of your arguments valid though I fail to see how having seen a well or not makes us all sheep or is particularly relevant on a scientific level, and since you showed us photos of a well we have now seen one. I'm trying to weigh {ALL} the facts and you are so damn sure this is safe, good and seem to make this a team sport and talking to folks like they are idiots if they draw different conclusions from information. Yes, both sides may manipulating info to their ends, which you would probably disagree with, since the gas industry would never do that...so it is our responsibility to sift through the info.
     I'm reading wiki pages on this and info from multiple sources. I'm asking questions and attempting to draw conclusions. If asking legitimate questions about the data/information you supplied is "knowing all the propaganda" I guess we're done with the exchange here, since you deem anything contrary to your conclusion/s drawn to be following the flock.
    It's no better to be safe than sorry....

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
    • Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mac OS X 10.9.3
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• That's exactly what I was thinking from the first post.  Not worth arguing.  Keep believing everything you hear and read.  Question nothing.  Environmentalists never exaggerate anything.  Their motives are always pure.  Just ask Al Gore.

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • One final request in this thread:  If you are in favor of the ban referenced in the first post please have the gas and electric disconnected from your home or risk being a hypocrite.  We wouldn't want you to benefit from something so destructive to the planet now would we.  ;D

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:18:32 AM by seb »
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 43
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 09:01:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• That's exactly what I was thinking from the first post.  Not worth arguing.  Keep believing everything you hear and read.  Question nothing.  Environmentalists never exaggerate anything.  Their motives are always pure.  Just ask Al Gore.

Cop out.

Offline OldSoul

• Regular (Silver)
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You deny climate change, but are gun-ho for natural gas- an argument being it is "cleaner" than oil.  If climate change isn't real, and the numbers are "fudged", then why do you care if you burn oil or nat-gas?

Is it all about the money? You think natural gas is going to keep your pockets fatter? Those companies will just mark the price up as when they wish.. look how expensive the E80 gas is for the flex fuel cars. It's a joke.  Look how expensive the electric cars are- again, it's a joke.  Fracking and nat-gas is not going to save us. And I'd rather pay extra for oil and work on real CLEAN alternatives then destroy the planet even further as a temporary fix for our insatiable energy consumption.

Calling us names because we disagree with your views. Sounds a little familiar. Hey wasn't Arne Longboarder, or whatever his name is, calling you a bunch of names while you tried to explain your perspective on a topic? I don't think we are the ones at the risk of being a hypocrite here..

Offline Patches O'houlihan

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Simple question:  Do you think the anti-fracking lobby ever exaggerates its claims of the risks?
    You got that shitty farking diagram from a fracking company. Do you think they ever expose the truths to how horrible and bad for the environment that brown trout is? That argument works both ways and it seems to be a staple in your insanity.

And the next step has to be ban fracking nationwide, don't let other states put their water sources and environments at risk either.

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 07:41:10 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Simple question:  Do you think the anti-fracking lobby ever exaggerates its claims of the risks?
    You got that shitty farking diagram from a fracking company. Do you think they ever expose the truths to how horrible and bad for the environment that brown trout is? That argument works both ways and it seems to be a staple in your insanity.

And the next step has to be ban fracking nationwide, don't let other states put their water sources and environments at risk either.

You didn't answer the question.  Do they exaggerate the risk?  How is it that with a gas well 300 yards from our water well, another 500 yards and another a few hundred yards more that our water is just fine?  Are we just that lucky?  I think you know they over-state the risk to scare people but can't say it cause it defeats your argument. 
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:58:34 AM by CJsurf »

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You deny climate change, but are gun-ho for natural gas- an argument being it is "cleaner" than oil.  If climate change isn't real, and the numbers are "fudged", then why do you care if you burn oil or nat-gas?

Is it all about the money? You think natural gas is going to keep your pockets fatter? Those companies will just mark the price up as when they wish.. look how expensive the E80 gas is for the flex fuel cars. It's a joke.  Look how expensive the electric cars are- again, it's a joke.  Fracking and nat-gas is not going to save us. And I'd rather pay extra for oil and work on real CLEAN alternatives then destroy the planet even further as a temporary fix for our insatiable energy consumption.

Wanting to do things cleaner and being good stewards of the land has nothing to do with my opinion on global warming. 

If two people have the same end goal but one tries to convince others by telling tall tales, using scare tactics and outright lies while the other tries to convince people with common sense and logic......I would suggest that the first person is harming his cause.
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:17:33 AM by CJsurf »

Offline CJsurf

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: June 28, 2014, 08:09:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Given that in New York there are already 1 gas well for every 7 square miles, In PA there is more than 1 per square mile and in West Virginia there are more than 2 per square mile, how is it possible that there is any safe water in any of these states if the scare tactics of the anti-fracking crusaders are true?  Could it be they are making brown trout up or taking the rare instance of a problem and making it sound like that is the norm?
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:16:04 AM by CJsurf »

Offline nydubstar

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 44
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0.3 Safari 7.0.3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • [size=78%](major formatting issue going on with the message board; this is the best I can do after multiple editing attempts)

Then there’s the Pilliga State Forest in northwest NSW’s Liverpool Plains: a million square acres of wilderness on a mix of state forest and conservation reserve zones, where Santos is the proponent. The environmental values are critical: Pilliga is the southern recharge of the Great Artesian Basin. And, according to Hutton, “they want to put 850 wells into the forest.” A recent EPA report confirmed an incident had occurred at the Pilliga site already, whereby saline wastewater leached a number of contaminants, including uranium, into two aquifers.

Hutton seems constantly amazed by the duplicity he encounters in government and business. “The state government tried to suggest the public were not allowed onto the land to protest – it’s a public space! But the farmers have been magnificent there, even though it’s further from urbanised areas than this is.”

A bystander directs us to a quiet man who’s watching Hutton speak. He’s John Jenkins, a small-block farmer from thirty-five kilometres south of Chinchilla, in the Tara field. He says the ground there smells. “There’s a hundred wells, just across the road from us. We’re getting sicker – nausea, vomiting, loss of smell and taste – that’s the big one.” He isn’t jubilant like everyone around him. He seems purposeful, solemn, a harbinger of lost battles elsewhere.

But why, you might ask, is any of this inlanders’ brawling the business of Surfing World?

The answer to that clicks into place the next morning, as I watch Dave Rastovich slicing through the crystal-clear waters of Broken Head. He’s been stuffing his face with local fruit for the twenty-four hours I’ve been with him. He is, in short, feasting on the very things that this project had put at risk. It’s often the case that the purveyors of something destructive will argue for its limited effect, try to isolate it from any suggestion of chain reactions elsewhere. The topic is a Rasta favourite, one he keeps hammering in the car on the way back down to Byron: all natural systems are interrelated. You can’t punch a hole in one without seeing the consequence in another. The things that were going on in the hills, the good things and the bad things, they were always going to flow downstream.

http://www.coastalwatch.com/environment/13223/can-t-touch-this-jock-serong-s-visit-to-the-bentley-blockade

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/us/drilling-down-documents-7.html?_r=1&

[/size]
    [/size][size=78%]
    http://www.wfaa.com/news/investigates/Scientists-say-state-tests-prove-fracking-to-blame-for-Parker-Co-flaming-wells-262056131.html
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:03:59 AM by nydubstar »

Offline OldSoul

• Regular (Silver)
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Given that in New York there are already 1 gas well for every 7 square miles, In PA there is more than 1 per square mile and in West Virginia there are more than 2 per square mile, how is it possible that there is any safe water in any of these states if the scare tactics of the anti-fracking crusaders are true?  Could it be they are making brown trout up or taking the rare instance of a problem and making it sound like that is the norm?

I do not think the majority of the people would want this risks near them. Their homes, places maybe where generations have been- livelyhoods, now at risk for water contamination and earthquakes- for what?..cheaper bills? Not everyone gets to pack up and move back to LI or some other area if $h!t hits the fan- and just because everything is smooth now doesn't mean those concrete wells cant fail in the future. Lets suppose it is a rare instance, if you draw unlucky... what are you supposed to do? Does the whole town have to get up and move? Start tanking in clean water? (waste of energy)

Could it be that the fracking companies have people tied into contracts not to speak about what might be going on.. settling out of court? Or is that unheard of?

Just curious what your take on GMO foods are CJ? Are they going to solve world hunger or are they a hazard?

Offline damian

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 56
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0.4 Safari 7.0.4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • One final request in this thread:  If you are in favor of the ban referenced in the first post please have the gas and electric disconnected from your home or risk being a hypocrite.  We wouldn't want you to benefit from something so destructive to the planet now would we.  ;D

And if you are perfectly comfortable with fracking, drink nothing but that supposedly safe, 90% water concoction for a week or two and let us know how you feel.