Author Topic: Best Career Path for Surfer  (Read 5160 times)

Offline snaggletooth

• Wahine
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 133
  • Soft hated: 7
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
    • View Profile
Re: Best Career Path for Surfer
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • FDNY pretty good deal if you don't get hurt , killed burnt etc ..... Pluses great schedule , enabling adequate surf and family time with good flexibility . Minuses potential to get hurt , burned or killed , exposure to tons of toxins def taking years off your life . Pretty much a fixed income if you don't apply your self as promotion is solely based upon Civil Service promotional exam given only every 3-5 years .
    I can't complain get to surf , get to travel , spend a lot of time with the family , generally work in a fun/ exciting at times environment .....but as plenty of people I know your only as good or as safe as your last fire , generally things go well but when they go bad they go bad .
    Also the new pension tier is going to suck compared to what the old tie guys get ...... STILL THE GREATEST JOB IN TH WORLD .... but the powers that be are trying to change that .

I wasn't thinking about the toxins part - that is pretty scary. Still, otherwise a great gig for all the reasons you listed. You do put your life on the line, but for good reason. I reaffirm my vote for fireman

Offline suspectdevice

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.5.8 Mac OS X 10.5.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.6 Safari 5.0.6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 10:57:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i know a few NY firemen, and i agree...not to downplay the risks they take, but from a standpoint of free time, etc.  it seems to be great.  wish i had considered it!  i actually went to college on oahu and took a lifesaving course that was was pretty rigorous...it included getting certified in first aid, cpr, lifeguarding.  our instructor was captain of the oahu FD.  he talked to me one day outside of class and explained that honolulu had one of the most difficult physical tests in the country to pass in order to become a firefighter.  he thought i could pass it and that i should consider taking it.  i was young and dumb, and to be honest, at the time, thought that it was corny as hell to be a fire man.  i thanked him but never even considered it.  i try not to have any regrets, but i definitely look back at that and wonder what i would have done if i had known anything about pensions, benefits, the real world, etc..........luckily i'm happy in my life, but that was definitely a fork in the road that could have been a big difference.

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 16.0.912.63 Chrome 16.0.912.63
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • harry has a point - your responsibilities or expectations usually drive how often you hit the street. Surfer's need free or unstructured time - many jobs provide that but you have to ask if that free time job will provide enough income - the answer depends on too many variables to make a blanket statement.  for instance, all the NYC firemen I knew growing up (including my uncle and a guy I worked for in college) needed second jobs/side businesses to support their families at the level they desired. but back then the mom's often stayed home to raise the kids so maybe today's fireman has plenty surfy surfy time because mom works in place of the fireman's side business (variables) and lone surfer has a point too - the spawn of a fireman may make a relative fortune on Wall St compared to dad and he/she may start out thinking early retirement but the economic ratchet almost always shows up to have jr. thinking work longer for that beach house instead of retirement - which circles back to NJLongboarder's point - it is probably best to be the child, spouse, or grandchild of the golden handcuffed Wall Ster if you want it all with free time to boot (but then that WallSter is your pimp daddy and you have to suck up to stay in the cash flow) - someone somewhere has to hit the street, it used to be daddy hitting the street to take care of the rest of the family bit now who knows (we haven't even gotten into the whole divorce/child care payment check cash flow thing yet) as a surfer looking to maximize free time, your job is to make sure its not you
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:47:28 AM by HydroGlide »

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 283
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.2 Safari 5.0.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • My wife has t worked full time in years , I have been promoted once and am going to study for te next exam for Captain . This and my children go to public school right now and we live within our means . We only have 1 car , one HDTV , rent out parting our modest house etc . The first 6 years as a fireman is pretty lean as you don't reach top pay for that long . Same as a LT . 4 full years for top pay LT with te big raise at the end . A lot k guys work 2 nd jobs . I make myself available for OT during the holidays and summer when people are in vacation in lieu of working a 2 nd job . This however can not always be relied on as consistent income as the economy has

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 8.0.1 Firefox 8.0.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Even the best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry. On the one hand you really often do have to put a lot of planning, schooling, due paying into most careers, and this could take years. So, you could pick a career that seems to offer a lot of surf time, pay your dues and then find yourself not even surfing down the road. Or, you could hate your chosen career. Or, the career could not exist in ten years.

A better question might be, how can I live my life simply, in a way that gives me the freedom to make decisions based on pleasure, family, etc.

Offline f_leghorn

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 18
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 9.0.1 Firefox 9.0.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i never wanted to be a fireman as a kid, but then i caught the bug for it in my 20's thinking how it might sync up with a life at the beach and afford some time for other things that city 9 to 5's (or is that 6's,7's,8's or 9's) put the squeeze on.  but i turned too old by the time the fdny opened up the applications this past summer.  i was bummed for a bit, but find myself thinking now more along the lines like lonesurfer suggested, trying to make a bit more freedom for myself

Offline Harry Balzsac

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 169
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Life is a sh!t sandwich, eat it or starve. All rest is just a search for a little extra mustard. At least, that's what Dad told me.

Offline Dan S

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 2
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Surf Hunter
      • Email
    « Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i never wanted to be a fireman as a kid, but then i caught the bug for it in my 20's thinking how it might sync up with a life at the beach and afford some time for other things that city 9 to 5's (or is that 6's,7's,8's or 9's) put the squeeze on.  but i turned too old by the time the fdny opened up the applications this past summer.  i was bummed for a bit, but find myself thinking now more along the lines like lonesurfer suggested, trying to make a bit more freedom for myself

I think what bugs me about the 9 to 5's the most is that they are never 9 to 5.  Most office jobs come with salary which is a great way for companies to exploit their workers.  They say you work 9 to 5 but expect you to put in extra if you don't exceed their ridiculously high-set goals.  So you find yourself coming in at 8 and staying to 6, on Friday you dash to get as much as you can to get out for the weekend and then they slap you with a... "this needs to be done before Monday" stunt so you either stay late on Friday or take home work for the weekend.

Not every white collared job is like this but many are.  At least with blue collared you get overtime when doing extra.  Overtime is a great way to show your employer that your free-time is worth more money than normal working time.

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • two cents: (a) not sure 9 to 5s even exist anymore, to me the concept/term/etc. is a relic of a different era and (b) banking is most definitely NOT a good career for a surfer, for all the reasons snuggle mentioned and more!
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:13:49 PM by surfnli »

Offline seacow

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 11
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I feel like 9-5 doesnt exist in NYC but I have friends in different parts of the country and it seems like 9-5 is way more standard / average. 

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I feel like 9-5 doesnt exist in NYC but I have friends in different parts of the country and it seems like 9-5 is way more standard / average.

I've seen/heard this too. I work less on most days now than when I worked for an investment bank, so not all employers/careers are equal in that respect. Some of the most overworked people I know are self employeed/Small business owners. A vacation for my brother is a 3 day weekend twice a year, and he works at least 6 full days a week just about every week.

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 45
    • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • Browser:
    • Safari 5.0.5 Safari 5.0.5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm a teacher in a public school in Brooklyn, and it's pretty good surf-wise.  Good, not great.  Summers off are fun if there are waves, and even if there aren't.  I get out of work at 3 and when it's daylight savings time, I can get to the beach and surf for at least two hours if there are waves.  Dawn patrols during the week are not an option, though.  The other big downside is that when we have vacations, every kid has vacations, so flights are expensive.  Of course, we can also take leaves of absence and do sabbaticals, which could be nice if you worked it out the right way. 

The best part is the pay--teachers are way overpaid (just ask the Republican party).  Ha.  Ok, not all of the Republican party, to be fair.

Offline NJ Longboarder

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 36
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Some of the most overworked people I know are self employeed/Small business owners. A vacation for my brother is a 3 day weekend twice a year, and he works at least 6 full days a week just about every week.

Too true.  I got caught up in this mentality when the economy tanked, but got the bidness back on its feet and stronger than ever.  Just made a new hire and comitted to another for the spring and I am going on vacation.   

edit: another thing to keep in mind is fitness level.  if you find an active career, you will be in better shape for surfing.  a desk job requires extra time to excercise when it's flat. 
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:45:36 AM by NJ Longboarder »

Offline Smiley's people

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 109
    • Soft hated: 9
    • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The thing about owning a small business is that I can surf whenever I want, to the extent that I can ruin my business as much as I want.  One of the funny upsides of the wrecked economy of the last few years has been that while really slow I was able to clock a lot of water time. Things have been picking up for me since last spring and I am grateful to be busy ...but I have not surfed in 2012 yet. This is the first month in a long time that I have missed all of the swell events...bah!
    ‘closed mouth don’t catch any foot.’

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
    • Gravy, first initial W
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Clean energy:
    Hawaii has an 80% renewable portfolio mandate set for 2030, which means 20% fossil fuels with the balance of power generated by wind, solar, geo and wave power. Then there is smart grid (scaling power demand & supply via software) and fuel cells (collecting wind/wave power and delivering it into the grid). This industry is where the jobs are going to be for the balance of this century.

Sorry, but a mandate does not create policy...just because there is a goal doesn't mean there is the means to reach that goal (especially in Hawaii).  Also, after having worked as an engineer in Hawaii: Hawaiian bosses are very stern about when you show up to work and letting you go out and about.  Most of the people who can surf as they cando some sort of freelance or evening work; definitely not engineering.
    "This wise clown of compassion is a genuine mahatma of the Cosmic Giggle."