Author Topic: anyone ditched the cubicle for good?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Random Guy

• Local Access
  • Semi-Regular (Bronze)
  • Liked: 1
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
anyone ditched the cubicle for good?
« on: July 31, 2005, 10:13:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have a career in software sales
    it gives me some flexibilty for surf, but it doesn't usually work that i've got  flexibilty when it matters
    i pretty much can't stand the line of work, but it pays the bills
    i've wanted to be a teacher for a long time. 
    I wsa just checking out the city teaching requirements and it looks like they hire not masters/education people
    but i'd be broke
    maybe 10 years form now i could afford a pay cut, but not now

anyone ever dumped the career for something new, with a huge cut?
    anyone switched to teaching?
    just dreaming i guess

happy

Re: anyone ditched the cubicle for good?
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:39:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you can switch into teaching in the city without a license, but you have to complete the masters degree while on the job. it's through a program called New York City Teaching Fellows. http://www.nycteachingfellows.org/what/index.html

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 09:26:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • play lotto.... a dollar and a dream!!!

team freeloader!

Offline lisa

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I will never go back!  But I'm raising a family and I don't have to be the bread winner.  I'm a creative and corporate America makes me want to shoot myself.

Mims

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:53:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • that's comforting, lisa.  :-\

Offline lisa

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 07:40:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey, there are exceptions, Mims.  If you working a job that you love, then it's all good.  And everything is a "corporation" now anyway.  My mistake was taking jobs soley for the $$$ without considering what my talents and strengths were.  I had one job where the boss called me into his office so he could show me how to correctly staple while commenting that they didn't teach anything worthwhile in college anymore.  I walked soon after that. They had a hard time getting employees to stay.

I love working in commercial and feature film production - and have done lots of corporate video.  But I was not glued to a desk.   But work is work - and we got bills to pay and waves to ride!

Psycho

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 01:25:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • you can switch into teaching in the city without a license, but you have to complete the masters degree while on the job. it's through a program called New York City Teaching Fellows. http://www.nycteachingfellows.org/what/index.html

Thats awsome, there ya go!

Offline Random Guy

• Local Access
    • Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 04:06:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thanks.
    thats just the info i needed
    it confirms that i can't do it now, but someday i might be able to pull it off

Psycho

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 06:23:47 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah man sometimes I would think that you have to take an inventory of your life. Sometimes we as people put more thought into buying a car than looking into the happyness in our lives. Ya think, "hey will this car last a long time, will it break down, look good & for how long,  will it be a gas gas guzle & how much stress will this put on me & my family down the road? Can I afford this responsability?" Rather than, " will this car make me as happy as I'd like to be down the road?"

In this case man a pay cut is on you & your family, do you have so much invested in things that it will harm your lifestyle & family? If not then maybe the swtch would make your life a happier one. The bright side of being a teacher is Summers off, more time to spend with the wife & kids & to be honest, I dont know that theres any amount of money that can be put on that. Thats a pretty good trade off if ya ask me, but then ya throw in more time to surf & dang! Good deal.

Whatever you decide mang, Good luck!

Offline Fen

• Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 07:34:07 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Who else thinks its completely reasonable to tell your boss that you're quitting to go learn how to noseride?

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 08:00:37 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • after 5 years of busting my arse as an architect ... sitting behind a computer and sometimes working long hours and making other people lots of money and more or less being pretty miserable doing something that i love i left my job at the beginning of june (actually the job left me) and have never been happier in my life!!

the minute word got out that i was no longer with my company i got lots of phone calls to come work for other architecture or interior design firms for pretty decent money and i turned them all down.  this break from everything has been a much needed mental break and thank god i can afford to do something like this as i have no real obligations other than paying rent once a month.

i am entering my late 20's (27 yrs old), i am serious considering a life/career change which will hopefully allow me to never have to sit behind a desk ever again (at least not every day), the whole teaching thing has always been a consideration because its allows for a great lifestyle with lots of time off ... but its not for everyone and i dont really think its for me - i am considering something more flexible like sales or something..

right now i am just riding the unemployement wave (and the nice little check it sends me once a week) doing some freelance gigs here and there, being a part time plumber here and there AND having a great time.  yesterday i went to the beach, today i am working with my dad and tomorrow i think we are going sailing together (i get to spend a lot of time with my family these days)...

see everyone at TDR friday night!!!

sincerely,
    the happiest boyeee in the world!
    team freeloader!

Offline Sandshark

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 02:57:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • boyeee.
    i'm happy for you but i also hate you.  i got some major golden handcuffs here.  last year, i was seriously considering the left coast with BB but my job pulled me back.  now, i have to think about a pending mortgage.

i'm not complaining.  i'm completely blessed: i have great friends, my health, a gorgeous husband, two feathered friends, and, oh yeah, i live by the beach. 

but once in a while i wonder what it would be like to do something "irresponsible."  i've been such a darn goodie goodie my entire life, i can't even fathom the thought of being a hippie.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 04:42:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I tried to get her to sail around the world with me on a crappy little boat that would have totally made it. I tried, to get her to give up everything we owned and just take the A train to JFK, cred card two tics to HI and just live, but again she said no. For the record folks

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 07:17:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

•  a gorgeous husband

dude BB i think the shark is cheating on you, lol.

never one myself to be this care free but do to circumstances that were not in my control it forced me into this lifestyle... and i'm happy.  its weird, when i made a lot of money i still wouldnt have any...now that i dont have any real form of income i still manage to live the same - if i can maintain these principals of not spending money on stupid crap when i actually start making money again i would have so much money saved.... lol it will never happen.

SS & BB i really think the next step in your lives is to start having little KorRican surfer kids of your own - its what life is about.... making new life!  (right now i am just trying to practice a lot for when i'm ready to let my boyeees swim  ;))
    team freeloader!

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 08:36:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

•  a gorgeous husband

SS & BB i really think the next step in your lives is to start having little KorRican surfer kids of your own - its what life is about....

Talk about golden handcuffs. Thank god my wife is in grad school. We just got a dog and it was almost as annoying as it was fun. I still have to go home to walk it before I can surf. I wouldn't want to image kids at this time. I figure I've got three years then my wife finnishes grad school which is a big goal for her.
    Trust in the board.