Author Topic: NJ.com article on the Manasquan Inlet Pontoon boat capsize and rescue  (Read 1754 times)

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 774
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.11.1 Mac OS X 10.11.1
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0.1 Safari 9.0.1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Online Ryan

• Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NJ.com article on the Manasquan Inlet Pontoon boat capsize and rescue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:37:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Happen to be at the inlet that day, a bunch of guys paddled out to the boat. Didn't  know what was going on I was a 100 yards north but witnessed all the helicopters and coast guard. Crazy thing is it looked like it was handled and wasn't until later in the night I found out people passed away. Sad but crazy that it was so warm and  so many people around, what we consider a waist to chest high day is deadly to the common folk.

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.11.1 Mac OS X 10.11.1
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0.1 Safari 9.0.1
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: NJ.com article on the Manasquan Inlet Pontoon boat capsize and rescue
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Happen to be at the inlet that day, a bunch of guys paddled out to the boat. Didn't  know what was going on I was a 100 yards north but witnessed all the helicopters and coast guard. Crazy thing is it looked like it was handled and wasn't until later in the night I found out people passed away. Sad but crazy that it was so warm and  so many people around, what we consider a waist to chest high day is deadly to the common folk.

Because we all spend so much time in the water, I think it's easy for us to underestimate how easy it is for people to panic, and panic is ultimately what kills. The first thing we do as surfers when we get tossed on a wave is get to your board and on your board - we do it as instinct.Once on our boards, we're safe and can make our way out of the impact zone. Similarly, the first rule of a capsized boat is don't leave the boat - hang on to any piece of it you can. As my father told me countless times,  invariably "they will find the boat, they won't find you." And in this particular instance, unless someone either got trapped under, got injured and went unconscious in the capsizing, or weren't strong enough swimmers to get back to the boat after being tossed in the capsizing, there were enough people around quickly enough to get there before hypothermia set in. Now there's no one saying and I have no way of knowing, but I suspect that it's possible that one or both of the victims saw the jetties on either side of the inlet as "dry land" and instead of staying with the boat, panicked and made the sad decision to go for it.

Regardless, though - my heart aches for the victims and their families and friends - and my admiration, respect, and thanks go out to the first responders who were able to save 5 lives that day.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]