Author Topic: Check out Jon Coen's weekly columns on LBI post Sandy on TheSandpaper.net - great stuff!  (Read 590 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 26.0.1410.65 Chrome 26.0.1410.65
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
If you haven't seen them or checked them out yet, make a point to click through and read our great friend Jon Coen's weekly series, Liquid Lines, appearing in TheSandpaper.net - as usual, Jon cuts through and gets to the heart of the issues, and does an outstanding job of making us think as he deftly points out what's really happening, what really matters, and why we should care.

Here's links to his two latest columns:

As We Rebuild, What Will We Learn From Our Mistakes?
http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/p/as-we-rebuild-will-we-learn-from-our-mistakes/1001650#.UZqcaCtoRZo

and

Welcome back, Here's What Happened While You Were Gone
http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/p/welcome-back-here-s-what-happened-while-you-were-gone/1004476#.UaCwnitoRZo
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 26.0.1410.65 Chrome 26.0.1410.65
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Here's an excerpt that every surfer should read:

There is one municipality on LBI that is looking to amend some prior mistakes. Throughout the seven-year history of LBI’s beach replenishment, we finally have town leaders who are in agreement that the beachfills we have had to this point have not been ideal.

I had a very good talk with Harvey Cedars Commissioner Michael Garofalo this week, and he agrees with those of us who have been saying this since well before the first grain of sand was put on our beaches – these U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects do not quickly return to the natural beach profile, and burying the offshore sandbar is a loss of an important natural resource.

Now, let’s be very clear. Garofalo is grateful for the project that Harvey Cedars had completed in 2010. We agreed that it helped save the town through Sandy.
“We needed that project. And I would rather have a flawed project than no project,” he said. “I am grateful for getting that project, and I am grateful for the next round. But I would like to see them tweak it and make it better.”

If you think that my writings in Liquid Lines have become repetitive, you are correct. I have beaten, flogged, spanked and kicked this dead horse for years. If our sandbars and very way of life weren’t at risk, I could entertain you with all manner of musings. But if we see the sandbars in Harvey Cedars, Surf City and Brant Beach all wiped away for another three years, there will be very little to write about anyway. And again, it’s much further-reaching than just surfing. Who wants to walk to the end of a steep beach and dive into an abyss?

Harvey Cedars, Surf City and Brant Beach are scheduled for the next round of “repair” projects to start on June 1. Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Co. is doing all three projects in succession. Yes, they will run right through summer and yes, every beach in these towns will be closed at some point this summer. But that is a minor inconvenience when you look at the long-term losses for everyone who enjoys the ocean.

On Friday, May 9, Garofalo and Mayor Jonathan Oldham met with Keith Watson, project manager from the Army Corps of Engineers. They discussed the upcoming project and Garofalo brought up the possibility of alterations to Watson. This may not save our sandbars, but it is a monumental step. This is the first time that elected officials on LBI are asking for this, and for that, they deserve massive amounts of credit. Alterative projects have already worked in Monmouth and Cape May counties. It is the first step to not having this important resource ripped from us.

The Corps’ Philadelphia District has maintained its party line that the beach will return to its natural profile soon after the project. I can find you 1,000 witnesses in an hour who will tell you otherwise.

“It took three years and a hurricane (Irene) before our beach started to look even close to that. We just want to see a natural slope at the shoreline,” said Garofalo, who sees his mission as protecting the safety of swimmers as well as fortifying the shores of his town.

He also noted that Harvey Cedars Beach Patrol Capt. Randy Townsend has been working on the issue too in the name of public safety. Ask lifeguards around the island what kind of conditions we’ve had post-project.

We shouldn’t have to choose between a flawed project and no project at all. We shouldn’t have to worry about our children stepping off the beach into 8 feet of water. We shouldn’t have to see the great culture of surfing destroyed on LBI.

With only 12 easements to go in Ship Bottom until a beach replenishement project could become reality, Mayor Huelsenbeck is already aware of what has happened in other towns. Rises in injuries notwithstanding, there have been families (some folks have called them refugees) who leave the very beach they enjoyed for generations to come to enjoy Ship Bottom’s fine sandbars for playing, fishing and swimming. Can we afford to lose another town’s recreational resource? He’s already reaching out to the DEP, which has a lot of input into the design of these projects. Especially after this round of repairs that is fully funded by the federal government, the town has a right to request what best suits its needs.

Right now our sandbars have shifted farther east than they’ve been in years. It would seem a perfect time to build solid dunes and a healthy beach without eliminating that offshore terrace.

If you love swimming and surfing on LBI, it’s time to talk to your mayor and council or commission. You don’t have to attack them. You can work with them. We are the people who see our beaches every day. This is a journey of a thousand miles, but Harvey Cedars has taken that single step.

Read the full article here: http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/p/as-we-rebuild-will-we-learn-from-our-mistakes/1001650#.UZqcaCtoRZo
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]