Author Topic: 2009 Chip Miller Surffest set for July 29th!  (Read 774 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 774
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.10 Firefox 3.0.10
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
2009 Chip Miller Surffest set for July 29th!
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Nick Bricker & Co are at it again on behalf of the Chip Miller Charitable Foundation for the 6th annual event - I made it down to 7th St in Ocean City for last year's, and although the waves didnt exactly cooperate, it was still an amazing event with a GREAT turnout! This year's promises to be even bigger and better....!

Mark your calendars and be there! Click here for more information:

http://chipmiller.org/events.php
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:34:10 AM by SeaCliff »
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.10 Firefox 3.0.10
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: 2009 Chip Miller Surffest set for July 29th!
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Note the date change! It's now set for Wednesday, July 29th!

Slots are limited, register  online by clicking the link above!
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:34:26 AM by SeaCliff »
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.11 Firefox 3.0.11
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:33:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Bump! It's on for tomorrow - Bricker and Co opened up a few more slots, still time to register - email Nick if you're interested at [email protected]

For more info about the event and afterparty, Chip Miller and Amiloidosis research, click here:

http://www.nynjsurf.com/Surf-Contests/6th-Annual-Chip-Miller-Charitable-Foundation-Surf-Fest-July-29th-2009-Ocean-City.htm

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.5.7 Mac OS X 10.5.7
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.0.1 Safari 4.0.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The whole day was outstanding - congrats to everyone involved - and great to see so many familiar faces and meet so many new ones, not the least of which was Dean Randazzo's mom, who besides being a tremendously nice and very funny person, also very quickly donned a "Hurricane Surf for Dean!" rashguard and wore it the whole day! Much thanks also to all the local groms who helped us load and unload out gear and get the NYNJSurf.com tent set up - you guys are the best!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.5.7 Mac OS X 10.5.7
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.0.1 Safari 4.0.1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Really great Jon Coen article on the event in The Press of Atlantic City today...

Record crowd attends Chip Miller Surf Fest in Ocean City
    By JON COEN, For The Press | Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 |

OCEAN CITY - The Chip Miller Surf Fest was expected to draw a record number of people Wednesday. But no one could have predicted that the crowd of surfers and spectators on Ocean City's 7th Street Beach would swell to an estimated 1,000 people.

The event honors Chip Miller of Ocean City, who suffered from amyloidosis and died in 2004. The general public knows little about this disease, which degenerates the body's organs and tissues. The Chip Miller Surf Fest began as a way to celebrate Miller's life, raise money for amyloidosis research and build awareness.

"The support has been tremendous," said Chip's son, Lance Miller, as he returned from the water after surfing a heat. "My dad was looking down on us today and blessed us with some waves."

In a summer that has been better than average for waves, Wednesday's were 2 to 3 feet from start to finish. The onshore winds made for mostly choppy conditions, but the surf was more than contestable at all tides. It was a far cry from the near-flat conditions of last year's event.

The massive turnout was largely due to a pair of special guests - Somers Point pro Dean Randazzo and 19-year-old shark-attack survivor Bethany Hamilton. Hamilton lost her arm in the encounter but taught herself to surf again and now competes among the best female surfers in the world.

An hour before Hamilton and Randazzo sat down to sign autographs, fans lined up from the tent to the boardwalk.

Hamilton's father grew up in Somers Point and was part of the original "Polar Bear Club" that surfed through the winter. At age 18, he moved to California and then Hawaii, where he started a family. Bethany

Hamilton has been to New Jersey six times.

"It's such a cool place," she said. "I know the surf here actually gets very good. I'm always stoked to come here and see my relatives.

"I know this event has made me aware of amyloidosis. It's cool to see how everyone here works together and raises awareness."

Wednesday's women's division winner, 14-year-old Caroline Duerr of Manasquan, was a fan of Hamilton after reading her book, "Soul Surfer."

"I'm just so impressed with her," Duerr said. "It's great to be around her. She's just so courageous."

In the middle of the day, a majority of the people involved with the event carried out the annual tradition of paddling out for Chip Miller. They formed a giant circle just outside the break, and Lance Miller said a few words about his father.

In addition to the seven competitive divisions, which included 176 surfers, the day also featured a Red Bull Tow-At demo, where surfers used personal watercrafts for enhanced speed to tackle the waves and thrill the crowd. The choppy conditions, however, were not conducive to tow-at surfing.

Later, New Jersey's top pros paddled out for a pro "Expression Session," lighting up the water with airs and spray. They included Rob Kelly, Matt Keenan and Jamie Moran of Ocean City; Sam Hammer of Lavallette; Zach Humphreys of Margate; and Randazzo.

The most impressive surfing of the day came from 15-year-old Michael Ciaramella of Stone Harbor. Ciaramella, the 2007 boys division winner and 2008 junior men's winner, aced not only the junior men's, but also the men's division Wednesday.

In the junior men's final, Ciaramella caught a right with some clean face, found blistering speed and unloaded a pair of frontside off-the-lips. In the men's final, he paddled into a bowling right, turned hard off the bottom to hit the oncoming section, added a smaller turn and got one more on the closeout section.

Eleven-year-old Anthony Rooney of Brielle won the groms division. Pat Schmidt, 14, of Manasquan won the boys. Josh Wilson, 29, of Ocean City took the masters. The longboard title went to 16-year-old Teddy Lions of Ocean City.

The final event, the parent/child division, where a parent and their son or daughter surf as a team, has become one of the most anticipated of the day. The surfers paddle out at the same time, and their scores are added together to see which family comes out on top. Michael Vanaman Jr. and Sr. edged out Rob and Jim Kelly.

Sofia Lebeleva, 12, of Ocean City got a ride to the contest after a late-running saxophone lesson. When she arrived at 9 a.m., all the divisions were full except for the parent/child. Wanting everyone to get a chance to surf, Lance Miller volunteered to surf with her in the last remaining slot.

"I just really wanted to surf today," Lebeleva said. "It was so great of him to get me in. He's really nice and he definitely surfs good."

Miller felt it was something his father would have done. That was what the day was all about.

Offline Masochist

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 11
    • Soft hated: 0
    • "Thats no Hodad Squid Lips thats Matt Johnson"
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Internet Explorer 7.0 Internet Explorer 7.0
      • MSN Messenger - tjforkin@comcast.net
      • View Profile
      • AC SURF SCHOOL
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:35:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • AC Surf Club & AC SURF SCHOOL
    acsurfschool.com

Offline Thermodude

• Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 02:58:05 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It was honestly one of the best events of the summer! Thoroughly enjoyed and great attendance for a great cause.

...see you all next year!