Author Topic: $13.6 Million contract to clear munitions from two LBI beaches  (Read 927 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 774
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
$13.6 Million contract to clear munitions from two LBI beaches
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Crazy...

Weston Solutions to clear old explosives from N.J. beaches
    Philadelphia Business Journal

Weston Solutions Inc. has been awarded a $13.6 million contract to find munitions and explosives on beaches in two Long Beach Island, N.J., municipalities and remove them, the Defense Department said.

The West Chester, Pa., company was awarded the contract by the Philadelphia district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which expects the work to be completed by May 22.

Weston will comb the beaches of Surf City and Ship Bottom looking for the munitions and explosives, which date from the time of World War I and apparently wound up on the beaches because of a 2006-2007 beach replenishment project.

A search of the beaches prior to summer of 2007 turned up 1,100 munitions, according to a report in the Press of Atlantic City.

More munitions and explosives were discovered on the beaches that summer and last year.

:-\
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline NJ Longboarder

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 36
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: $13.6 Million contract to clear munitions from two LBI beaches
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • for that kinda cash, i'd go out there with a plastic shovel and bucket and get em all myself.  maybe build a sand castle or two, catch a few stripers and surf empty waves. 

sorry, beach is closed....it's too dangerous.

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • From a beach replenishment project! what a disgrace.

Offline surfcitynj

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 6
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Truly a disgrace, what gets me is that its ok for them to come onto the beach with all kinds of heavy machinery to sift through and move sand but yet they're worried about a little kid digging in the sand setting them off. I understand in the end its a big liability issue but I've found a couple of these things and they're impossible to break. We were even briefed as lifeguards and they told us you'd basically need a sledge hammer or a metal grinder if not more to get one of these things to go off. So once again, for another spring I won't be allowed to go walk up my street and go to the beach, thanks again ACOE, real geniuses at work there. I can't even begin to talk about the environmental impacts this has had either among many other things.
    Peace,
    Kyle

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • They could just throw one hell of a blow out beach party bingo blanket thing at Surf City for free. Set up some subsonic earth shaking amps and speakers around the bonfire and let all the hodads dance the monkey.  That would be a blast! (ok shoot me now before the bad, really sad, attempt at a joke continues).

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • From a beach replenishment project! what a disgrace.

True, but at least we now we have some voice with ACOE in project design, management and execution...and that's a very, very positive development. I think situations like this opened the door for surfers and surf minded people to be involved in replenishment projects and beach preservation projects going forward.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline surfcitynj

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Surf City beach munitions cleanup is delayed
    by The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
    Thursday January 08, 2009, 5:54 AM

A $17 million cleanup of military munitions pumped ashore during a Surf City beach replenishment project may not be completed until the brink of the tourism season, according to a report in the Press of Atlantic City.

The report said last month the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced that the cleanup would start in early January, but it now is planned to begin at the end of the month. The corps also pushed back the cleanup's expected completion date to Memorial Day from April.

Memorial Day? You gotta be shitting me.

I'm just bitter because they took away my jetty, no more spearfishing or nice rips to take you right out without getting your hair wet. I'll be even more bitter if I'm done school in the spring and can't go on the beach again though.
    Peace,
    Kyle
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:36:39 PM by surfcitynj »

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I understand the bitterness, Kyle...I've been watching ACOE do stuff for years on end that just...well, let's just not even get started because it will be a 20,000 word rant.
    But man, it really is a good sign that there are actually surfers with really good heads on their shoulders involved on current and hopefully future projects.

Here's hoping that the project is well wrapped by memorial day and at least you'll have the beach back.

Offline surfcitynj

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • And so it begins
    http://thesandpaper.net/SandPaper%20Pages/sandpaper_page20.htm

Really kills me to see all that heavy machinery on our  beaches again. Bye bye dune grass that was just finally getting situated, and bye bye nice sand that was finally sifting out all the large rough patches.
    Peace,
    Kyle