Author Topic: What really is the best board?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline VenturaLocal

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Some day, I'll surf every day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Stigbk
    • View Profile
    • Email
What really is the best board?
« on: July 22, 2005, 05:53:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You know-you here of a lot of talk-all these boards-these unbelievable quivers people have---so this may be ignorant. At max, I will have two board-maybe three, to my name. That's because it took me so long just to wire those boards. The way it shifts-thrusts-and floats. Sure, I'll ride a long board-then a short board-but I don't have a bunch of shortboards, ie. Fish's etc. So is it better to have an arsenal? My boards are like a relationship-they take a lot of TLC and understanding before they start delivering. When I switch boards-it takes a while to really feel it...

Jake

Re: What really is the best board?
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 05:59:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • once u have every board u own wired it takes 2 waves to get used to it again...,

jscottk

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 06:32:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • longboard
    fish
    shortboard
    beat up funboard for you friends to borrow

Offline dynamite

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • longboard
    fish
    shortbaord
    longer shortboard for those big windy winter days
    howdy

Offline rockawaybum

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 05:19:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 5'8 quiet flight i have for sale.
    my 5'8 plus 1 comes in a close second
    double concave to a single to a triple back to a double to single to a vee out. 41 fins ,721 channels, 2107 pinlines, 88oz glass on top and 68 oz  glass on the bottom. blue, yellow,orange,green resin tint.

Offline frroK

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
      • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 06:02:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You know-you here of a lot of talk-all these boards-these unbelievable quivers people have---so this may be ignorant. At max, I will have two board-maybe three, to my name. That's because it took me so long just to wire those boards. The way it shifts-thrusts-and floats. Sure, I'll ride a long board-then a short board-but I don't have a bunch of shortboards, ie. Fish's etc. So is it better to have an arsenal? My boards are like a relationship-they take a lot of TLC and understanding before they start delivering. When I switch boards-it takes a while to really feel it...

I used to just have 1 baord, dont ask me how I wound up with 5!!!!  yes i tottally understand where you coming from ...so that's why I want to wind up with three boards.  My all around shortbaord
    A fishy/shortboard thing(like a 5'5 stubby) for wen its gutless
    and a 6'3 maybe 6'4 round tail for when its like 2 foot overhead or something bigger like that...

I have way to many boards and I think its hurting my surfing...although some people think riding different bards actuallt help your surfing out.  who knows!

ya_bloody_wanka

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 11:20:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 2 performance shorties-6'2 HIC, 5'10 jchawaii- for waves up to 1ft overhead
    1 semi gun-6'5 dalberg- for when its pumping
    1 old school twinny- 5'8 chris birch-gutless waves to overhead beachbreak to long point breaks
    1 modern fish-6'0 jchawaii- gutless- double overhead
    beater funboard- 7'6 seasoned-yeah
    2 longboards- 8'6 epoxy channin, 9'6 dewey weber performer circa 66- performance and classic for small clean waves waist high and down

i know what you mean by relationship with your boards. i gotta sleep with my board, wax it 5 times, look at the rails rocker and fins, feel it under my feet and carry it everywhere before i ride a new board. and the day i take it out i gotta asses the board all over and plan on where on hte wave to surf it first and so on. and even after ive ridden the board i repeat the entire process with all my boards over and over.
    « Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 05:02:36 PM by ya_bloody_wanka »

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 775
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 08:42:18 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • We've got 13 boards hanging around these days, but more often than not I find myself on one of the two Ezera's...
    A 5'11 "rocket fish" model which holds well to a little overhead (at least for me, others could prob get much more out of it), and
    A big ole 6'2 "Slump Buster" Round Nose Fish for the weaker days, which has gotten wayyyy too much use lately!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Random Guy

• Local Access
    • Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 11:21:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • the best board is the one having the most fun

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 01:28:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • None of my surfboards (except the Coop) will fetch more than $75 in a resale and I don't believe in throwing boards away so I fix em and keep em. Like Neil Young when asked about his stash of cheap guitars: "Man, every guitar has at least one good song in it."

1. 6'6" Spectrum from the late 80s that is missing two fins. Good travel board, once I get the fins back on it. It has been the MVP of more than one surf trip. I paid $250 for it about 3 years ago. Total basement eBay find. It has been the unfortunate victim of an ill-timed jump from the NS3 Jetty, an utter pounding on the Playa Avellanes lava rocks and blown off the roof of a car, and still remained surfable. It took baggage handlers at American Airlines to finally break the (already comprimised from the car incident) fins.
    Status: In the Bodega, this used to be my A-Team board. Maybe it will be so again?

2. 5'10' Schroff. Tail delam from hell. I found it in my sister's garage about a year ago, and decided to give it a try. It was fun for a while but has taken alot of water on, and now is very sluggish. When rideable, it is good on those hollow days when you need something that will stick onto the wave. I'm gonna give it a go to make it water tight one more time. If it doesn't work, I'll leave it at my nephew's house as my NJ-board.
    Status: On my wall. Will re laminate the deck, and glass in the fin to make it surf-able in coming weeks.

3. Ashton 7'2" Big Guy Tri. Bought it after I wrecked the Challenger for the nth time. I bought it because I listened to what everyone else had to say about what kind of board I should ride. These days it doesn't see the water unless it is head high plus. It used to be my NJ board, as opposed to the Spectrum as my NY board.

4. 6'0" Challenger Twin fin. Everyone on the east coast who surfs a short board should own a twin or a fish. Mine is an MR clone that was probably bought sometime in the early eighties. Orgin is unknown, as it had belonged to my brother's friend's uncle. He bought it for $100 in 1984 and it was a beater back then. I found it in the garage and made it water tight and took it out at Deadmans in NJ during a Sept hurricane swell in 2002 and trashed it. Just fixed it last year, and even though the cant of the fins is a bit wide, it has been a friggin superstar in any conditions.
    Status: The fins could use some more sanding and maybe another coat of glass, and it is ugly as sin, but whatever. It's water tight and fun. Right now, it is my A-Team shortboard.

5. Cooperfish Nose Devil w/ Rootbeer Swirl: An unbelievable ride. Thank you NYHC. W/8oz of Volan cloth on its rail, the Coop survived an encounter with the jetty and took away only minimal scrapes, so what do you think it would do to your Challenger or Spoiler? It is 10ft long, about 50lbs and has no leash plug. Drop in on the NoseDevil at your peril.
    Status: Out of the Bodega and back at the NS3 hogging waves and running over Bennys.

6. Fox Wave Weapon: 6'1" Thruster from the late 80s. Probably 88- 89, very much like my Spectrum, but more agile. Occupies a space somewhere between the Spectrum and the Schroff. A ripper's board to be sure. I have a feeling that it will work particularly well on sandbars.
    Status: Waiting the call, (or for Happy to decide that she needs something she can duck dive).

If I had to choose one, I would choose the twin fin as it is, in my opinion, the most versitile shape ever created.
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline frroK

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
      • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • THE SHROFFF!!!!!  NOOOOOOOOOOOOO>>>>!!! :'(  and I never got to try it?  can i try the twinny?  the nose devl was sick by th way...it really is the nose devil, i walked right up t o that brown trout with ease.

happy

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 08:29:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 6. Fox Wave Weapon: 6'1" Thruster from the late 80s. Probably 88- 89, very much like my Spectrum, but more agile. Occupies a space somewhere between the Spectrum and the Schroff. A ripper's board to be sure. I have a feeling that it will work particularly well on sandbars.
    Status: Waiting the call, (or for Happy to decide that she needs something she can duck dive).
    i'm ready! i was ready this morning! but the waves were not co-operating

okay, here's my list

1. BLUE, 8'2" funboard, i learned on this. very stable, sluggish, and hard to turn. i now take it out strictly for ankles slappers or if i'm being kind and letting RD use RED ROCKET

2. RED ROCKET (thx jake for that freakin' disgusting name >:() 7'2" single fin shaped by scott anderson, has some funky 50/50 rails that are super responsive. once you get used to that, this board "is nothing but fun" as RD would put it.

3. LADY, 6'8" custom shaped tri-fin with a ladies room symbol painted on the nose. LADY is my first "short" board (i know, i know, its still a funshape, but whatever, kiss my happy behind). thanks bob pitagno, she is awesome. it took me all freaking winter to get this board wired, but now LADY and i are one and i have learned so much on her...sadly she is too big for me to duck dive, maybe its me not her, but its causing some friction in our relationship...i've been eyeing this rather tacky little gal from the 80's, we call her FOXY, but shhhhhhh! don't let LADY know.

Jake

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 09:35:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• 2. RED ROCKET (thx jake for that freakin' disgusting name >

hey u loved that name till i told u what it meant...

Offline lisurfer16

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 09:47:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • My primary boards are a 6'1 bunger single fin which works good in anything steep. My 5'8 wrv rnf for whenever. Every once in a while ill mix in a 5'9 and a 6'0 but only wen shits getitng repaired or whatever. Anything more than 2-3 boards and it gets stupid.

Offline sir_schadenfreude

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Have you seen him?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I agree about the relationship thing.  There may be a point to sleeping around a little, though.  I was out in Cali recently sans board due to obscene airline fees.  I got desperate and picked up a used Becker in HB.  It seemed like it was in decent condition, and the price was right.  I hate having to learn a new board on a trip, though. 

This thing looks roughly like my usual 6'2", but it paddles way easier and catches anything.  It didn't take 1 wave for me to have it dialed.  It feels like some custom shape I've spent thousands of dollars to get to.  It's a lucky stroke, I know, but I never would have found it if I hadn't been sampling the wares, as it were.  My next new board will probably be a copy or variation of this one.

I think trying out some different boards wherever you can can tell you a lot about what you like and what you hate.