Author Topic: Using carbon fiber?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 206
  • Soft hated: 13
  • Are you down with the people?
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.101 Chrome 45.0.2454.101
    • View Profile
Using carbon fiber?
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:54:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Anyone have experience using carbon fiber for ding repair?

I'm thinking it would be an excellent way to fix a snapped board without adding too much weight.

Simply glue the blank back together with gorilla glue, fill in the gaps with goop (less than normal)and then reinforce the broken stringer with carbon fiber cloth instead of dowels.

Also what kind of sander do you need when working with carbon fiber.

Offline damian

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 56
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.10.3 Mac OS X 10.10.3
    • Browser:
    • Safari 8.0.6 Safari 8.0.6
      • View Profile
    Re: Using carbon fiber?
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:36:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i've glassed one board with a carbon deck, solely a result of a friend of mine giving me a few yards of 8oz.

What I've found is that because the fabric is much stiffer than fiberglass, it tends to stay lofted when you wet it out, as a result it absorbs a lot more resin. I would have had a much lighter board if I invested in vacuum bagging and was able to compress the resin out of the weave. 

I think if you were to use plain weave carbon, you'll end up with a stress riser at either side of your repair given that the repaired area will be considerably stiffer than the rest of your board. This is similar to what happens when you score a piece of glass to cut it. 

What might work is a band of open carbon fiber- much like what a lot of shapers are using along the stinger on the bottom of their hpsbs.  Than a light layer of regular fiberglass over that to seal it.  Any sander will work- just stay away from any kevlar- carbon hybrid.  Kevlar doesn't cut or sand well.