Author Topic: "removeable" fins?  (Read 860 times)

Offline B94

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
"removeable" fins?
« on: August 19, 2005, 10:51:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • One of my FCS "removeable" fins broke off (pretty cleanly at the base of the fin). I got the screws out of the round base but have been unable to get the stump out using a pick, a screwdriver, a drill, pretty much every damn thing you can think of except a blowtorch.

I gave up, figured screw it, I will just remove the other side fin, at least the board will be stable.

But I can't get the intact fin out either...I took the screws out but the fin is stuck in place. I've had the board a couple of years and there's been a lot of expanding and contracting of the plastic. The fin is not going anywhere.

Any ideas for getting it, or the other one, out? Other than just deliberately cracking the brown trout out of the fiberglass around it in order to dig them out (doesn't seem worth it)? Why do they call them "removeable" fins anyway? Might as well be glassed on.

Offline lisurfer16

• View Profile
    Re: "removeable" fins?
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 11:03:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • drive a zip screw(sheet metal short screw large head) into the base of the fin(stuck in the box). squirt dish soap through the screw holes. odds are the fin base is encrusted in.with a pair of pliers or a vice grip wrapped on the screw head wiggle the thing out. Next idea would be to make many small holes int he base of the fin and try and get it to crumble.

Offline B94

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Tried the first one pretty much except for the dish soap...didn't think of that. Worth a try.

jscottk

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:10:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If you are going to do the crumble method, wich is going to be pretty hard to do, make sure you tape off your drill bit or use a short  bit so that you do not drill to far.

Offline Homeslice

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 01:09:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • What about WD-40?

Not sure what it would do to the glass though if you got some on it...