Author Topic: Long Pressure Dings  (Read 1267 times)

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 97
  • Soft hated: 8
    • View Profile
    • Email
Long Pressure Dings
« on: September 20, 2005, 03:14:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I rode over some dry reef last winter and have a couple of snaking pressure dings about 1/2 inch wide by 3 feet long. i've been riding and it seems fine, but i was wondering if any of you woud fill them in?

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    Re: Long Pressure Dings
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 04:19:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I fill deep pressure dings in on the bottom if I am already fixing actual bottom dings on the same board.  Since I will be taking all the effort to sand the bottom anyway, I feel it can't hurt to fill in the deep ones.  I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing to do technically but I have never experienced any problems after the fact.

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 05:09:18 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I guess i was questioning the weight vs. hydrodynamics.

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 05:34:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • That part of the question was pretty obvious man.  You could check Swaylocks but I imagine that it is like the how much hydrodynamic drag do fin boxes or unused FCS sidebites create question - answer: almost no one will ever feel the diifference between open fin box and no fin box.  But don't listen to me, I never sweat those details and never really try to notice the difference between my glassons and removable fins (and I don't notice the difference).  I figure if asymetrical tails don't screw up your ride too much then a little extra weight in a pressure ding won't screw it up too much either.  But I'm no pro.
    I'm just saying that from personal experience, I never fillled a deep pressure ding then rode the board later and said "damn that extra weight on the upper left bottom of my board just threw off my bottom turn" ;D  But I have repaired the bottom of a gloss coat board then sanded the entire thing only to 600 grit then felt that the board was faster and handled better.  My theory is that the rougher bottom provides more turbulence - but then again I really don't know the science of it. Good luck.

Offline moses_is_crowded

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • not only was it not obvious to me....but it ttook me a sec just to realize what the Fuck you were talking about....now that i know i don't think it makes a difference

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 08:46:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • it's a boarderline rediculous question but i've been lookinng at these long, ugly dings for so long i'm about ready to fix them purely for aesthetic reasonsn.