Author Topic: Let's talk single fins  (Read 6090 times)

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 17
  • Soft hated: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk single fins
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 06:02:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • mine:

boogiedownjohnholmes

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 07:44:11 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • weather or not a single fin works in a specific type of wave has less to do with the fin configuration then the actual outline

singlefins you will feel a blinding speed if your used to a thruster, on a nice long lined up wave ( for isntance a left from the jetty to the spikes, hard and swooping long turns as opposed to flicking it around like a 5'10 potato chip

see the PM I sent you for more information

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 08:33:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Kurt I tired to respond to this thread yesterday but I guess I didn't press enter.

Anyway, I have to take a kind of opposite position on some of the post above.
    I love my single fin above all boards n waist and down stuff. I have had it out on a headhigh day and it performed great but it's a CI macahdo board and it's super thick 3" and very long 6'9" duck diving it is a prego dog. Headhigh at Rock often means multi duck diving to get out so I often go with something else. That said at Maria's and Jobos PR that single fin was a charmer. I feels it makes me a better surfer then I am because its so much more of a graceful ride. I just can't travel with longboards so that boards hits the spot like no other.

Also, I had my quad out on waist high stuff and its boring. As far as I am concerned I only take my quad out in chest high and better. I feel that the quad really comes to life in Juice. My quad needs uice. My CI twin if fine or waist high tho.

happy

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 08:52:11 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i defer to boogiedown and surnli, as far as single fin expertise and experience go. i will just say i enjoy my 7'2" single fin very much. i ride it in knee to head high (rolling, mushy, not hollow, tried that, scary). we never bring it on trips, which is dumb, b/c both RD and i inevitably say, "gee, this would be even more fun on red rocket!" we just can't let go of the idea that when you travel it will be good enough to always ride something short. then we get skunked, LOL! and of course its easier to take something shorter and i would also be devastated if red rocket got damaged by the airline.

compared to a thruster i did find it very squirrely at first, but that may also be b/c of the design of the board, which is a displacement hull (kinda convex) and 50/50 rails. as for speed, a fish with a twin fin setup or RD's spectrum (80s thruster with glassed on fins), are also very fast, particularly on the takeoff.

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 09:37:20 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • BB - you have the channel islands MSF - Gen 1? and the only thing you dislike about it is that it's too difficult to duckdive?

so a lot of people think that CI single fin is too thick and clunky - has anyone ridden the CI MSF - Gen 2? I know it's supposed to be a little narrower than the original - but I'm unsure what the thickness is like.

And chiz/surfnli - both of you mentioned the singel fin working really well in lined up clean waves. I'd love to be surfing those all the time, but admittedly that's not always the case. And I feel like ALL boards work better in thsoe conditions - but what about the more common light onshore days, little crumbly?

and cologero!!!!! where are you!?!? you ride single fins almost excusively yes?

and LN! you've got a few - thoughts?

and hydro - looks interesting, thanks for the idea...

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 09:45:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have to say I've been very curious about these single fins......they sure do look cool.......

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 10:32:45 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Aw brown trout.

now i'm starting to think about a McCoy Nugget single fin. Have you seen the fins he's made? crazy looking:
    http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/
    click on design and scroll down to the fins - weird looking fins.

anybody ridden a McCoy Nugget single? I know EZED has one - you out there ed?

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 10:34:49 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Happy I can't wait to see you surf again, you sound like you have really improved. I bet it's the RD influence. 'You surf better if you surf with better surfers'. I look forward to seeing your skills.

Kurt, I have the modern CI single with a concave bottom yadda yadda flex deck, rounded pointy hinkydido by-fold nose and 95.767/4x rails. ;-)

I think its to long for a short single but perfect for a short-long board. Cheater 5's no problem.  I rode the very same board in knee to waist Marias but it was a 5'8" maybe   5'6" (Carolinas red board). I could get into the wave no problem but I sank the board on any flat spot. It was small but on a heavy it could have been dreamy. Anyway I think for both kurt and north a CI 6'4" would be the bomb. You actually both surf really well and the extra float might help. Oh the CI single is the perfect wetsuit board.

Offline obfuscations

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 15
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 10:37:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • now i'm starting to think about a McCoy Nugget single fin.

nuggets are really hard to get here, aren't they?  when i started shopping for my first shortboard in the fall i was really interested in one of these , but i think i figured out it would take like 6 months to get it so i went with a local shaper instead. 

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • BB - I wouldn't say "really well" but thank you dude. and does your CI have a round tail or a rounded pin? sounds like the MSF gen 1 would be better suited for smaller waves. i think I'd be psyched on it. and i like a floaty board.

and obfuscations - is that the case? well, my bro lives in australia, so I'm thinking he could get it shipped there and then I might just pick it up when i visit him - or have him ship it through the US state department whom he works for...

happy

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 10:56:09 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Happy I can't wait to see you surf again, you sound like you have really improved. I bet it's the RD influence. 'You surf better if you surf with better surfers'. I look forward to seeing your skills.
    thanks! RD has helped, he is very encouraging, he gets very stoked off my good waves. i just get jealous over his. :-\
    what has also helped is RD's jersey roots, thanks to him i get to surf fun friendly waves that are an hour from home.  jersey waves make surfing well very easy. (as do hawaiian and puerto rican waves) we have actually been thinking about eventually moving to jerz.

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 10:57:12 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It has a romantic round tail. I know that sounds funny but that was the first thing that came to mind the first time I rode it.

I have to thanks Joyce261 for that board. I traded it for my old twin.

Offline obfuscations

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 15
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 11:07:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • and obfuscations - is that the case? well, my bro lives in australia, so I'm thinking he could get it shipped there and then I might just pick it up when i visit him - or have him ship it through the US state department whom he works for...

this guy :  http://solosurfer.com/solo/
    claims he's the only US dealer for nuggets,  don't know if thats really true.  at the time ( 6 months ago) i didn't pursue it much beyond his website, which showed no models in stock and a long wait.   might be worth looking into it further.  but maybe yr aussie connection is the way to go. 

Offline boyeee

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • ...feelin' great since '78
      • AOL Instant Messenger - gleib99
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 11:11:29 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It has a romantic round tail. I know that sounds funny but that was the first thing that came to mind the first time I rode it.

I have to thanks Joyce261 for that board. I traded it for my old twin.

that was the trade of the century!!

carolinas is a 5'9 single fin i believe.... dying to try it - she didnt have it out in marias when i saw them out otherwise i would have definately grabbed it for a few waves..

kurt let me know what you find out about the mccoy nuggets... those things look sick (and maybe i can help you knock off a few bucks on shipping if you knwo what i mean)

team freeloader!

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 11:30:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah I'm gonna find out how much it would be to ship just to sydney and then have my bro ship it from there...