Author Topic: Let's talk single fins  (Read 6019 times)

Offline krut

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 4
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
Let's talk single fins
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I remember chiz making a post about how "Single fins are the best kept secret in surfing." or something along those lines.

I'm thinking about a new board. I was thinking about a classic BP fish. But then I started thinking about a single fin.

I ride both my longboards as singles and I like the feel of them that way - I like the differences in riding style i get by just sliding the fin up or back.

But I've never ridden a shorter board that has a single fin. What's it all about? Why do people like it? How would you describe the difference between that and a thruster, or a fish?

Has anyone ridden the channel islands single fin? The MSF or the MSFG2?

I'm looking for a board with a lot of speed which I cans till use in smaller surf...

jscottk

Re: Let's talk single fins
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:28:15 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Smaller surf, forget single fins.

THe Dono Surf Rx I had hated smaller surf.  I was fine in chest to shoulder, but to small for larger.
    Just my 2 cents.

If your going after a board for smaller surf, think 4 fin quad.
    Personally I have seen your inprovment in large surf, but I think that you would even get better with a better board for large surf.
    Thus back to a single fin gun.

Ok now were up to 4 cents.

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 09:36:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • did your don surf RX have a lot of rocker?

because I would assume that if you had a wider single with not a lot of rocker it would be ok in the small stuff.

could be wrong.

and why a quad as opposed to a traditional fish. quad owners - you out there?

I'd like to spend money on a big wave board, but it just so rarely gets that big here, I can't really justify it. And the WRV you sold me (I have money for you!! LOL) is treating me fine for the bigger days right now.

So I think I'm thinking more of a board I can use in a variety of conditions...
    +k

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:53:01 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I remember chiz making a post about how "Single fins are the best kept secret in surfing." or something along those lines.

I'm thinking about a new board. I was thinking about a classic BP fish. But then I started thinking about a single fin.

I ride both my longboards as singles and I like the feel of them that way - I like the differences in riding style i get by just sliding the fin up or back.

But I've never ridden a shorter board that has a single fin. What's it all about? Why do people like it? How would you describe the difference between that and a thruster, or a fish?

Has anyone ridden the channel islands single fin? The MSF or the MSFG2?

I'm looking for a board with a lot of speed which I cans till use in smaller surf...

what's it all about?  long, draw out, smooth carves.  high lines.  the tube.  speed.
    why do people like it?  shortboard manueverability without the frantic need to generate speed.
    differences?  i haven't ridden my twin keel enough to truly answer this, but what i've noticed in the little time i've put in on it, the twin keel feels faster but with much less control.  switching from a thruster to a single, you'll feel like you lost an anchor.  forget about flicky turns though--it's all about rail control.  it'll teach you how to commit and put it on an edge, swing it all the way through the arc.  if you get a modern single you can really have the best of both worlds, as highlighted in several moonshine conspiracy films.

the merrick single fins are far too thick and blocky for my taste.  they border on 3 inches thick with full rails.  my single is a 6'4 birch with widepoint forward...really overall i find birches to be hit and miss, but more often than not his singles are hits--especially this one.  goes almost as vert as my thruster.  really a delight to ride...although they're really a pointbreak board.  ophelia+my single+two righthand points off their nutter=one of the best days of riding i've ever had.

after surfing thrusters basically my entire life i switched to my single for basically all of the spring, summer, and fall...would highly recommend the experience.  mine is out right now for repairs but you're welcome to ride should our paths ever cross.  ln's got me thinking maybe i should try the rock sometime, but i do like my car, haha.
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:45:04 AM by surfnli »

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Kurt,

Let me know when you're around, and I'll throw one of my twins your way so you can see if you like it or not.

My Challenger (70s Cali) will be ready in a few weeks (begin work once the cold snap passes), and my Tpatterson & Happy's G&S both work great as twinnys.

If you are going to BP for a twin, I suggest you copy this board verbatim:
    http://www.markrichardssurfboards.com/boards_show.php3?id=9

(excpet maybe put Chengwin in the middle of the Superman emblem)

Single fins? That seems like something you should pick up at an April garage sale for $30 bucks.
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:09:41 AM by RubberDucky »
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 10:14:55 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • surfnli - great. that's what I was thinking. I think my style on my thruster is already leaning more towards pretty drawn out carves. primarily because I'm so used to my longboard. but I'm never getting the continued drive off the end of my turns that I would like. Part of that is what part of the wave I'm on, but another part I think is the thruster. I don't do much flicky turns - so I won't miss those. And I like riding it high and the speed is important.

and I've ridden BB's twin fin once or twice and the squirreliness of it was strange to me. I didn't spend much time on it though.

And when you say going from a thurster to a single will feel like I've "dropped an anchor" you don't mean it will feel slower - you mean the opposite right? like I've gotten rid of anchor, as opposed to dropped it and it's holding me back...

and RD - I will definetly take you up on that offer. I want to try a whole bnunch of stuff before making this next board choice....

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • and RD - I like that MR shape and was thinking about it when BP shaped my RNF last year. It looks hella fast and super fun. I'm also interested in the full-on old school fish experience, too. something that will still be fun in knee high stuff.

and do you think a single fin isn't something worth dropping some cash on?

jscottk

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 11:03:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I will bring my BP fish out to the Bungalow to leave it there for awhile
    ((along with the 2 DVDs I borrowed Dogtown and Broadway bombers)

Feel free to try it out. It is a big fish as in volume.
    I agree that the CI single fins are way way to thick and clunky.
    The Dono was a bit to narrow in the tail and sort of narrow over all.
    Not a lot of rocker, very front foot flat orientation.

For smaller waves quads or twins are the way to go.
    Here is what I would do:

Take out a small loan
    Go to the Greenroom in San Diego
    Shake Tobys foam covered hand
    Buy a bigger Quad
    Surf
    Never come back

Why is your Thick BP fish not working for smaller waves?
    It seems as though that is a good small wave board?

Like I said its what I would do..if I was not stuck in the freezing hell hole...
    When are your improv classes?

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 11:13:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • BB's Merrick Twin is more a true fish. My Challenger is closer to the Beatty Rocket Fish with the MR smaller swallow tail.

Offline krut

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 11:59:15 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • thanks jscott and rd for the board loan offers. I'll take both of you up on that.

So where's the single fin adovocates?!?! 2 out of three people are recommending the twin fin over a single! SurfnLI did an admirable job, but he needs some suport? anyone? chizler?

and jscott - my BP RNF is awesome, even in small waves - but it is a thruster. Want to try out some different fin configs.

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 01:26:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Aside from a longboard, the only single fin that I would suggest for these parts would be an egg/mini mal (ie: Scott Anderson Bojorquez Malibu Special: aka Red Rocket).

If we had access to a reef/point break, I'd have been all over Jakes or JScott's Dono boards like a cheap suit, but they probably wouldn't have been sold if we had one.
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:29:14 PM by RubberDucky »

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I agree with the above.  I have played around in various local conditions in recent years with a short (5'11") Proctor SingleTwin that can be set up with a single (tried 7.5", 8" and 9" singles), twin (FCS MRX), twin w. small trailer, thruster, or widowmaker (smallest possible FCS sidebites and 6" or 7" rear center) and although the singlefin definately looks the best (w. 8" red Greenough), and the twin is fun, I prefer the widowmaker for conditions around here - it provides the feel of a center drive singlefin but with the assistance of the rail bite training wheels.

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If you DO decide to have BP make you a single, talk to Cologero about the piece of surf history that hit Frrok upside the head.

boogiedownjohnholmes

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 04:18:33 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • check your PM

Offline surfnli

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • surfnli - great. that's what I was thinking. I think my style on my thruster is already leaning more towards pretty drawn out carves. primarily because I'm so used to my longboard. but I'm never getting the continued drive off the end of my turns that I would like. Part of that is what part of the wave I'm on, but another part I think is the thruster. I don't do much flicky turns - so I won't miss those. And I like riding it high and the speed is important.

and I've ridden BB's twin fin once or twice and the squirreliness of it was strange to me. I didn't spend much time on it though.

And when you say going from a thurster to a single will feel like I've "dropped an anchor" you don't mean it will feel slower - you mean the opposite right? like I've gotten rid of anchor, as opposed to dropped it and it's holding me back...

and RD - I will definetly take you up on that offer. I want to try a whole bnunch of stuff before making this next board choice....

feel you on the squirreliness, you won't get that at all on a single.  i did mean pulled up anchor, you're right.  you will feel much, much faster than a thruster.

re:
    Aside from a longboard, the only single fin that I would suggest for these parts would be an egg/mini mal (ie: Scott Anderson Bojorquez Malibu Special: aka Red Rocket).

If we had access to a reef/point break, I'd have been all over Jakes or JScott's Dono boards like a cheap suit, but they probably wouldn't have been sold if we had one.

i see your point, but don't agree.  sure--singles work better at pointbreaks; what boards don't?  modern singlefin shortboards work just fine in beachbreak, especially when it's lined up, clean, and hollow.  isn't the main break at rock a pointbreaky left off the jetty?  sounds perfect to me.  why would you rather surf an eggy single fin?

again can't speak for the dono boards, but they looked pretty sweet to me.

feel you on the 8 in. Hydro--I dig the Yater Classic, but the Greenough 4a also works.  7, 7.5, 8 inchers are what work in my 6'4.  no shorter, no longer.  9 inches is too much fin imo in a sub 6'6 board.  want max versatility?  go with the widow, like hydro mentioned.  get a nice full volume outline that isn't fin pod specific, and you'll have a great time. 

cologero, surf history, you talking about that lightning bolt lopez?  think he was the one who found that...that is NOT what you want; li is many things, but it's not the north shore.

chiz why not share your wisdom here for all?