Author Topic: Futures Vector Rastovich keels review  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 284
  • Soft hated: 24
    • View Profile
Futures Vector Rastovich keels review
« on: February 04, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I know some people have issues with the grub screws in FCS and Futures as I have had the same problems as well but if you are ordering a fish anytime soon I highly recomend these after todays sesh. Good hold off the bottom , great drive and that loose yet contrallable slide off the top thatmakes twin fins so good . I have ridden more than my fair share of fish in all varieties from quad speed dialers  , double foiled wooden keeled  retro fish , Round nose fish thrusters , to a five fin griffin modfish . When it is all said and done for slopey down the line beachbreak a fish is almost an essential IMO for average Joes looking to make a lot of waves and sections .
        Double foiled woden keels are really cool looking in fact down right  beautiful but stiff and drivey . They are excellent in big facey burgery point breaks or light wind sunset cliffs reef type surf but in beach break I dont think they are as versatile . The Rast keels have a break in the back that givs the fins a little twang out of you turns . They are made of honey comb procore glass which is composite but not plasticky like crappy stock fins and has a great stiff yet opttimal flex to them . On top of that supposedly money is going to sea shepherd as Rasta is a dolphin freak.

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=173

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    Re: Futures Vector Rastovich keels review
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You gotta do the best with what you have. It sounds like the fins have breathed new life into an old board. That's kinda cool.

I have a set of FCS MRX fins that are going unused at the moment. Need a board to put em in.
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline Clams

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 2
    • Soft hated: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - JWF718
      • View Profile
      • Through the Eyes of a Ghost
    « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I just ordered a Mick Mackie twin pin flex tail with rasta keels. I'm glad to hear your stoked on them. I'm beyond ready to fully assess them in some good surf. I've also got another set on the way that I'm going to modify with some horizontal cuts I'm going to put in them with a hacksaw. Making it more like a "swimming" fin. Definitely more lively. I'll be sure to report back.
    Throughtheeyesofaghost.blogspot.com

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • and eh...can i try them?  ;D  can't wait til you get that board!
    I just ordered a Mick Mackie twin pin flex tail with rasta keels. I'm glad to hear your stoked on them. I'm beyond ready to fully assess them in some good surf. I've also got another set on the way that I'm going to modify with some horizontal cuts I'm going to put in them with a hacksaw. Making it more like a "swimming" fin. Definitely more lively. I'll be sure to report back.
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline Clams

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm going to post photos of it when I get it for all who probably won't get too close of a look of it. I'm going to post the modified rasta keel I make too so we can fully examine the pros and cons. Although I'm doubting there will be many cons

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i have renewed interst in the twin fin fish and will be lookig to push my limits in surf I would  normally ride a htruster or HP quad or canrd quad type board. I think the key lies in the fins and the rail towards the tail . I have a Bushman fish waiting for me in Hawaii and I am going to try out the rastas and a set of K1's in the surf there as long as it is not DOH and heaving . I was more thinking head high to OH backyards , rocky lefts or Jockos . My griffin really got neglected the other day as I really connected with my Linden NU B fish , which has a slightly rounder nose very flat entry rocker and a flat bottom to vee with a hard down rail 18" off the tail and soft 50/50 rails up front . It has a curvy outline however and not a parallel outline like a frye fish and I don't thnk the pins in rear are 12" but probably 10.5-11 .

I want to get another long fish in anticipation of more slopey longer period groundswell to come and will go with the glass keels both the rastas and K1's which are closer to traditional keels  . . My long fish form the past was a quad but would like to try a twin this time I like the wood if they were single foiled and a little mre on the thin side to give them a little twang .
    Is the Mackie one of those "winter fish" deals? 

Offline surfcitynj

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 6
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I rode a friends fish with the rasta keels in it. Don't recall what the board was exactly, less retro though, think it was a 5'10. I really liked the extra release I felt like I was getting with the rasta keels and the cutaway base. I really want to try some 101 Bamboo Keels, think that pop from them would be really fun.
    Peace,
    Kyle

Offline Clams

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4zG_umDEcTk/SZRt1RmwnNI/AAAAAAAAGpU/SXKYS6W9DIo/s1600-h/P1100674.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4zG_umDEcTk/SZNTZw0FbjI/AAAAAAAAGok/KjAdtjsjn2Q/s1600-h/P1100677.JPG

So here is my latest purchase. I have to say its probably the most innovative and impressive flex characteristics I've ever seen. Obviously well crafted. It has the unmodified rasta keels. I'm going to purchase another set and modify them with band saw cuts starting from the trailing edge of the fin to near center. This will make little rudders that will act on their own to compliment the flex.
    I also had a set of K1 keels from future fins that I've already begun to modify into two boomerang style fins with relief cuts out the back for individual flexing properties. I will move to foil the fins out further giving them new life. I'll report back with what I discover....
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:38:41 PM by Supreme »

Offline seb

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 99
    • Soft hated: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:38:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  :P  droooooollllllll.....
    it's 6AM, have you seen a donkey?

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • go ahead, go shred
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    « Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • :P  droooooollllllll.....

I concur...

"Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci

Offline Clams

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Meeeeeeeeee 2........Look at the way that carbon fiber just glistens in the sun

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Windows Vista Windows Vista
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.6 Firefox 3.0.6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I sw MAckies web sight , see that he is into the futures keels . I got a 6'9 long fish on order but going with a keel this time to try the futures sets I have K1 and te rastas and I think I will modify those K1's would like to get a set of wood keels in futures base with a cutaway if possible