Author Topic: fixing holes and dings  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Tjs618

• Liked: 1
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.1.1 Safari 9.1.1
    • View Profile
fixing holes and dings
« on: July 30, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Whats up, I just started fixing my own boards and need a little help. I have down the filling and glass work but i been struggling with the hot coat. When I try to blend it into the board I feel I'm going to deep into the glass next to the ding. any advice? thanks.

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 20
      • View Profile
    fixing holes and dings
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 05:18:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If you're using a sander set it to low power, and don't use anything over 200 grit to blend. Finding the right angle is key also. You want a shallow enough angle to blend but steep enough to hit only the spot you want. Keep it moving and take your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tjs618

• Liked: 1
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.1.1 Safari 9.1.1
      • View Profile
    Re: fixing holes and dings
    « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • helped a lot thanks!

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • You bet! What I should have made more clear is, don't use any grit more aggressive than 200. But maybe you knew that.

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 4
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey, I need to repair a small ding in my favorite board. It's going to need some fill as well. Is there a small 'kit" available with the necessary supplies?

Offline Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 115
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Hey, I need to repair a small ding in my favorite board. It's going to need some fill as well. Is there a small 'kit" available with the necessary supplies?
    Most surf shops carry ding repair kits. Usually has resin, fiberglass, some tongue depressors and sandpaper.

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
    Most surf shops carry ding repair kits. Usually has resin, fiberglass, some tongue depressors and sandpaper.

Yeah, and most surf shops are a rip off. I'm looking for something a little more technical then Sun Cure. Like your local shaper/ding repair guy might use. Except I need a whole lot less. In the past I've used this stuff called Micro Balloons for fill and glassed over that...

Not trying to be a dick. But why should I pay more for something at a surf shop, that I could find online a whole lot cheaper?

Offline Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 115
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:42 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Yeah, and most surf shops are a rip off. I'm looking for something a little more technical then Sun Cure. Like your local shaper/ding repair guy might use. Except I need a whole lot less. In the past I've used this stuff called Micro Balloons for fill and glassed over that...

Not trying to be a dick. But why should I pay more for something at a surf shop, that I could find online a whole lot cheaper?
    You asked if there was a "kit" for small repairs. The answer is yes, there is. If you don't like the price then that's your call. I don't mind paying a little more at my local shop because I'm helping support a local business and guys who in turn support my community.
    If you're looking for some small scraps of supplies on the cheap then you might wanna just ask on a forum such as this if anyone has what you need laying around. Like I have some extra hardener, and 4 oz / 6oz scraps.

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

You asked if there was a "kit" for small repairs. The answer is yes, there is. If you don't like the price then that's your call. I don't mind paying a little more at my local shop because I'm helping support a local business and guys who in turn support my community.
    If you're looking for some small scraps of supplies on the cheap then you might wanna just ask on a forum such as this if anyone has what you need laying around. Like I have some extra hardener, and 4 oz / 6oz scraps.

I honestly hadn't even thought of reaching out on here. Sounds like a Nobel approach. So, yeah, I'm cheap but I may have something to trade for the supplies I need. Any takers? I'm in Eastern Suffolk.
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:47:10 AM by Jaxson_Dobbs »

Offline Bru

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:09 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There is more of a markup on the kits they sell in surf shops, but if you only have a little work to do, it may not be a bargain to buy in bulk as you may end up with a quart of resin that goes bad before you finish it. (No expiration on the other ingredients as far as I know). If you hit up somebody on this forum, check the resin viscosity. If it pours smoothly like maple syrup you're good, but if it balls up coming out think twice.

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
    • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.1.2 Safari 9.1.2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 04:56:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • There is more of a markup on the kits they sell in surf shops, but if you only have a little work to do, it may not be a bargain to buy in bulk as you may end up with a quart of resin that goes bad before you finish it. (No expiration on the other ingredients as far as I know). If you hit up somebody on this forum, check the resin viscosity. If it pours smoothly like maple syrup you're good, but if it balls up coming out think twice.

I am not above getting a kit every now and then.. There are good bits in there that are nice on vacation.. The little sanding block with two grits is real nice, and the mixing cups last forever.. The plastic sheet is key for shaping rail dings... Buy all that stuff separately and youll be about even..

I am pretty sure the hardener has a time limit. I never leave it in the sun and I always take the resin and hardeners in the house for the winter. MEKP is a peroxide and that stuff breaks down quickly...So says my brother the wicked scientist.
    Foamies are the new black

Offline frontsidecrotchgrab

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 19
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 52.0.2743.116 Chrome 52.0.2743.116
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 05:24:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've never had a problem with my resin research epoxy going bad. It can thicken up a bit over time but you just throw it in the ol' microwave and shake. Same way I get it hot for the hotcoat.

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Found a kit of Ding-All on-line and pulled the trigger. I originally went to Surf Source, but they wanted like $16 for shipping. Lol I found the same thing thru  Amazon at Joe's Emporium and got FREE shipping. Didn't even bother with a local surf shop. The kit I ended up buying with the Qcell was around $22 at most online retailers. I chose the one with free shipping and received it yesterday. When I get around to doing the job I'll check back here with an update for those interested...