Author Topic: Dimensions Rule of Thumb  (Read 13498 times)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 22
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
Dimensions Rule of Thumb
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:41:57 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So i'm looking for a new board, and for a little fun i decided to dig and look back at all the boards i've owned for which i have dimensions - thinking about which ones i liked most and how they rode/paddled/etc.  I have a nerdy little sheet with all these boards on it.  Anyway, turns out my favorite boards of all different lengths seem to have similar volumes.  So in the interest of sharing and maybe hearing a little bit about y'all's experiences, here's a little rule of thumb that i think works for me.

Take the length in inches x width (in.) x thickness (in.) divided by your weight in lbs (at the time you rode that board).  My favorite shortboards all seem to gravitate towards the number 20.

(Big wave guns of course a bit higher.  Funboards and 70's kinda shapes up around 30.  And longboards around 40.)

I think the 20 at my current weight corresponds to up near 2000 cu.in. (no, surfboards are not box-shaped) which is about 72lbs of buoyancy.  Anyway, just a thought i came across as i was considering new boards and maybe useful for figuring out dims for alternative shapes and whatnot.  I'd sure be curious to hear where other people's numbers come out.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 774
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Dimensions Rule of Thumb
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:02:47 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have to sharpen the pencil and give this a shot...curious how it'll come out!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Clams

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 2
    • Soft hated: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - JWF718
      • View Profile
      • Through the Eyes of a Ghost
    « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:36:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Whats your height and weight?
    Throughtheeyesofaghost.blogspot.com

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously,

Little Nasty, check out my twinzer. Of everyone I know, I think that you are the person who can pull the sword from the stone with this board.

It is the ideal Box-Rocket. Round tail keeps you barrelled, yet it is fast enough to outrun closeouts. The size (do the math: 6'2"L-19"W-11.5"N-14.5"T 2.38"R). So, if your biorhythms check out, you should really come by and give this board a look (maybe ride it on Thursday)?

So heavy you can't even pick it up.

Offline Harry Balzsac

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 169
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm so fat, when I do that calculation, I end up with a fraction.

Offline Jake

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 28
    • Soft hated: 4
      • AOL Instant Messenger - NYsur4dude
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i cant do math....
    Jake is back bitchesssssss

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously,

Little Nasty, check out my twinzer. Of everyone I know, I think that you are the person who can pull the sword from the stone with this board.

It is the ideal Box-Rocket. Round tail keeps you barrelled, yet it is fast enough to outrun closeouts. The size (do the math: 6'2"L-19"W-11.5"N-14.5"T 2.38"R). So, if your biorhythms check out, you should really come by and give this board a look (maybe ride it on Thursday)?

you know crackie i was seriously considering it.  In fact, that was part of the reason i went to my dimensions sheet.  Thing is that i think it's a little too thin for me, and i could probably use another inch or two.  The volume/buoyancy works out to around 67# which is actually less than my 6'1" sharpeye.  Don't get me wrong, i think i'd love love love that board on a 3-4ft ocnl 5ft day with 8-12kt offshores.  I just need a little more volume for my fat ass for the more typical NYNJ days - and i'm looking for an everyday all-rounder kinda board.

Plus, i really liked loose's firewire - i'd like to try a board that really keeps its spring for a long time (if in fact they do).

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I'm so fat, when I do that calculation, I end up with a fraction.

oh god that was funny.

You guys are nerdz ;)
    Foamies are the new black

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 92
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i came up with 19.34 for my firewire... love how it rides

don't know what that number means though   :-\
    "get your f**cking facts straight and quit being an idiot"

christian fletcher

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my 2 boards come in around 22. i did make some adjustments for added wetsuit weight and poly vs. epoxy. this # makes sense to me since i like a bit more volume.

another consideration is WHERE the board carries its volume. crackie's twinzer feels rather corky to me b/c its volume seems to be too far forward for my taste. its a "23" for me w/a wetsuit on so it shouldn't feel so so different but yet it does!
    NLITB

Offline slow_ride

• Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seriously,

you know crackie i was seriously considering it.  In fact, that was part of the reason i went to my dimensions sheet.  Thing is that i think it's a little too thin for me, and i could probably use another inch or two.  The volume/buoyancy works out to around 67# which is actually less than my 6'1" sharpeye.  Don't get me wrong, i think i'd love love love that board on a 3-4ft ocnl 5ft day with 8-12kt offshores.  I just need a little more volume for my fat ass for the more typical NYNJ days - and i'm looking for an everyday all-rounder kinda board.

Plus, i really liked loose's firewire - i'd like to try a board that really keeps its spring for a long time (if in fact they do).

you ever consider a custom shape to whatever dims your little heart desires (or whatever calculations you brain comes up with) glassed with resin X??

go down to natures shapes or shoot mike an e-mail from his web site and he'll give ya the whole run down.  the flex and durability is amazing on those boards.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • that's a good suggestion.  i've been very indecisive about this new board.  i'll probably just do like i usually do and end up in a shop and get seduced by anything fast and loose.

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • whee
    NLITB

jscottk

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 26.52 retro egg
    21.61 retro fish
    and 46.73 for the hansen 50/50 hahahah

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think its a little to much of an over simplification but could definitely be useful. I got an 18.7 for my favorite board which I think is a little to buoyant and a 19.2 for my second favorite which I wish had a little more float.I did some calculations somewhere for my first two boards that were insane If I can find them I'll share them. Next to doing a displacement test it's as crazy as any person with a hope of behaving normally would want to get.

Does the dead sea ever have waves. maybe then I could ride something under 6
    Trust in the board.