Author Topic: canoes?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline obfuscations

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 15
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
canoes?
« on: August 03, 2005, 11:45:24 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  i'm thinking of giving a canoe as a wedding present to a surf bro and his soon-to-be-wife .   they've got a place on a lake upstate where they invite us to hang & party every year -- so i'll get some use out of it too.  but i don't know brown trout about canoes, thought somebody here might have knowledge of such watercraft. it'll be purely lake-use.   looking around on the web it seems like Old Town are pretty sweet.  any other recommendations?  places to buy?
       thanks

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
      • View Profile
    Re: canoes?
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:20:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • if its just for a lake, anything that floats will probably be fine. something that has a relatively flat bottom and doesnt draw much water will probably be good. you might also want to consider if they're gonna have to carry it very far or haul it onto and off a roofrack (inwhich case the lighter the better). old town makes pretty solid boats. can be a little pricey.
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

jscottk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 02:43:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Some canoe factors to consider

Weight, will they ever have to porte'ge (carry) the thing?

Stability, If it is lake use only as in never shooting the rapids then go long with a small keel or guides on bottom? If they want to fish out of it then you want a real lake based paddle machine long flat bottom.  Casting and tipping over do not mix well

Durability, Fiberglass/Kevlar is nice but $$$ and sort of brittle, Plastics are heavy but indestructible?  Wood, leave that crap to Martha Stewart.

Price Kevlar $4000 and down to $1500 if your lucky, Plastic $600

We have had a few and I have paddle friends various canoes.
    The canoes that we still have and probably always have for generations to come is our Gruman aluminum canoe, 14 foot flat bottom even had a motor mount on it for awhile.  I have wrapped it arounf stumps in white water, dropped it off pick up trucks and gone on 30 mile paddles with it.  It is a little heavy but its still floating.  I do not know if the make thenm anymore.

If there are kids involved, go with the lightest wieght plastic you can get.

Hope that helps, do not forget to include a DVD of the movie Deliverance with it for insperation.

PS Mario is right Old Town has pretty much taken over the industry, but they build a good canoe.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:46:24 PM by jscottk »

Offline obfuscations

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 15
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 03:18:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  thanks, that's helpful .  portage not an issue, i seriously doubt it'll ever go anywhere but the lake they live on, & their house is just off the water and they got a dock to tie to all summer.    might fish from it now & then,  but most likely this is for moonlight wine & spliffs and shootin bottlerockets out of.   if it holds up, the kids may use it one day .  ... so i think i need a sorta beater & i'm looking into a lightly used polyeth 15'7" on craigslist.   
       dare i wonder : 'china canoe' ?

jscottk

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 03:39:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • China Canoe?      I dont know you saw what the locals did to Ned Beatty..sssssssssoooooooowwwweeeeeeee!

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 12:38:28 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • My neighbors used to have this old Fiberglass Canor named Wendy.  Shittt. Took wendy out in the Bays and the rivers.   And you sick bastegez shaddap!. Went out in the pine barrens and bays a million times on that canoe. Nieghbors had a Grumman after awhile. Took that sucker out a bunch too.  Deffinatly holds coolers and three passangers.  I think they tended towards longer canoes..  Bad ass boats.. suffered many'a mission. ( like I did rapids and shizit.)
    Foamies are the new black

Offline R Skorney

• Site Photographer
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • R. Skorney's Home Page
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 07:13:32 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • One thing about the plastic canoe's.
    If their lake has any fetch to it, paddeling a plastic alone in any kind of wind, can be a real problem.