NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

Special Interests - Surfing New York and New Jersey => Tips, Technique, and Style - The Definitive NY NJ Guide to Surfing => Topic started by: SurfCoach Brent on January 17, 2014, 12:50:22 PM

Title: The Shortboard Pop-up explained
Post by: SurfCoach Brent on January 17, 2014, 12:50:22 PM
http://youtu.be/ka-eHdV3M7o (http://youtu.be/ka-eHdV3M7o)
Title: Re: The Shortboard Pop-up explained
Post by: snaggletooth on January 17, 2014, 01:36:13 PM
am i completely retarded? i've never seen nor done the sort of climbing up onto the board thing in the video. both of my feet land virtually at the same time. do people seriously do this?
Post by: OldSoul on January 17, 2014, 01:42:56 PM
Ditto..never seen or done this..  ???
Post by: SurfCoach Brent on January 17, 2014, 01:46:49 PM
I can say up until a few years ago, I never realized I got up this way either, but try this...lie on your board with your feet off the back, and try to pop up without pushing off your toes (because they will be in the water) and without using your knees

just wanted to share, because as an instructor with 12 years experience, I've found this has helped numerous people transition to shorter boards

if your pop up works, dont change it!
Post by: snaggletooth on January 17, 2014, 01:50:40 PM
well, most of my favorite boards are a good 4-5 inches shorter than i am, so i'm definitely not pushing up off my toes. but i've honestly never seen this before. actually, i take that back. i see little, little kids do it. is it just me?
Post by: SeaCliff on January 17, 2014, 03:26:15 PM
As someone who holds the undisputed world title for poor popup technique, I'm not going to dismiss anything. I will look, read, and try anything that gets my back foot in the proper place on the tailpad. It's worth a shot, what do I have to lose?

Honestly, though, I really only see a potential use of this in my own surfing on smaller days. On larger, more critical waves my popup has a habit of taking care of itself.

And then there's the waves where this isn't appropriate because being more centered on the board and being in front of the tailpad is desirable, like in this wave of mine the other day (in my dreams, where I surf like Shaun Tomson  ::) )

(http://www.aspworldtour.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Shaun_Tomson_action_4_l.jpg)
Post by: Kdropin on January 17, 2014, 03:33:34 PM
am i completely retarded? i've never seen nor done the sort of climbing up onto the board thing in the video. both of my feet land virtually at the same time. do people seriously do this?
No
Post by: NJ Longboarder on January 23, 2014, 11:33:25 AM
I don't get it but that might work for others.

Just my opinion, but on a longboard you actually pop up because you can catch the wave earlier and the board is staying in the same plane while you lift your body up and get your feet under you. 

On a shortboard, you get in later/steeper and get to your feet as the board drops down and away from you.  Not really lifting up, just keep your body in the same place and getting your feet under you and on top of the board. 

Maybe that made some sense but do whatever works for you.  Once you've been doing it for a while, it just happens and you don't know how to explain it.  When I shortboard I pay attention to my foot placement (especially back foot) when I pop up.  Longboarding, who cares.  You move around enough once your up the starting point doesn't matter.   
Post by: Looseness on January 24, 2014, 12:57:59 PM
This is one more instance of teaching that it's ok to have a multistage, crawling to your feet pop-up.
I don't see this as being helpful to anyone, since it is inevitable {on a shortboard at least} that one will surf conditions that require a clean, explosive, one move popup, into near perfect foot position. Any hitch in the process just slows things down.   
Post by: Looseness on January 24, 2014, 03:56:36 PM
well, most of my favorite boards are a good 4-5 inches shorter than i am, so i'm definitely not pushing up off my toes. but i've honestly never seen this before. actually, i take that back. i see little, little kids do it. is it just me?

I've definitely seen plenty of this. Usually from folks who went to surf schools. I had an argument with a friend about the the Longboard pop-up versus the shortboard pop-up. She was taught the "longboard  pop-up" and my assertion is that isn't even a good "pop-up" for a longboard, since if you don't get the long roll in, and have to drop late on an angle, you're screwed.
Post by: HydroGlide on January 24, 2014, 04:10:26 PM
that's not coaching - coaching (to me) implies the player already knows the game.  that's selling how to get a novice to their feet by the end of the lesson bell.  The pop-up should be fluid with the front knee sliding through like Brent's but without the back foot on the shortboard.  and Brent probably knows that already but the average non-surfing spaz can't accomplish that move by the end of the paid lesson so he teaches that move to ensure no one asks for their money back.  A better way to teach it to a novice is to hang the tail end of the shortboard (and legs behind) unsupported off the end of the bed - but even that takes more time than your average surf school sells and also requires ocean time (on an actual wave) to get right. Its probably best just to tell a novice that surfing sucks don't try it - if they really want to surf - they will find a way on their own..
Post by: money4coffeeman on January 25, 2014, 01:19:31 AM
I need to place my yoga toes on the kick pad to pop up... who knew? How the heck have I even been getting to my feet all these years without a kick pad?!?!?!?
BTW mega huge congrats to Megan for making her transition to shortboards ::)

Post by: Smiley's people on January 25, 2014, 02:53:44 PM
Deleted because of how god damn embarrassing this thread is
Post by: money4coffeeman on January 27, 2014, 12:41:33 AM
next time i opened up you tube after watching the above, this popped up:

Surfing Lessons - The Cork, aka The Paddle Boost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ToHmlAlv0#ws)

So many layers of weirdness going on here, I need Hydroglide to tell me what I think about this
Post by: seb on January 27, 2014, 08:04:53 AM
Anything on "the turn and burn"?  :)
Post by: SeaCliff on January 27, 2014, 09:37:42 AM
next time i opened up you tube after watching the above, this popped up:

Surfing Lessons - The Cork, aka The Paddle Boost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ToHmlAlv0#ws)

So many layers of weirdness going on here, I need Hydroglide to tell me what I think about this

I have actually seen some pretty competent surfers do this pretty effectively. Like anything else, it's about technique and picking your spots. Hopefully that spot isn't an attempt to "turn and burn", as seb noted!
Post by: snaggletooth on January 27, 2014, 10:21:37 AM
I'm not competent, but i almost always pop my board before paddling into waves. now doing that on a corky funboard, can't say i've ever tried it. nor in a swimming pool. nor do i have yoga toes.
Post by: money4coffeeman on January 27, 2014, 12:57:50 PM

I have actually seen some pretty competent surfers do this pretty effectively. Like anything else, it's about technique and picking your spots. Hopefully that spot isn't an attempt to "turn and burn", as seb noted!

Its a fine technique. Its everything else I find weird.
Post by: HydroGlide on January 27, 2014, 01:52:58 PM

your not alone - there's a Topanga Canyon Manson Family vibe going on there in the beginning
Post by: money4coffeeman on January 27, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

your not alone - there's a Topanga Canyon Manson Family vibe going on there in the beginning

thank you.
Post by: the Kook on January 27, 2014, 09:50:13 PM

Well we don't have to wait for Hydro's take on this any longer.
Post by: onefinookas on January 28, 2014, 11:33:38 AM
(http://wondersofdisney.webs.com/pals/goofy/goofsurf.gif)
Post by: money4coffeeman on January 28, 2014, 12:36:44 PM
sick alaia and yoga pose bro! ;D
Post by: SurfCoach Brent on January 31, 2014, 01:52:36 PM
Haha wow you guys are brutal!  although after watching the cork vid again all the kids sitting in the background is kinda weird i guess!
Post by: SeaCliff on January 31, 2014, 02:43:53 PM
Haha wow you guys are brutal!  although after watching the cork vid again all the kids sitting in the background is kinda weird i guess!

Goodonya for taking it all in stride, Brent.

Please keep posting, there are SO many people new to surfing that read these forums and are looking for guidance, advice, and tips. Letting them also see the banter amongst all of us is good as well, it just reinforces that surfing, like life, is not a "one size fits all" deal and they need to evaluate and find what works best for them.
Post by: SurfCoach Brent on January 31, 2014, 08:34:26 PM
No worries...I enjoy all the feedback, good or bad! 
Post by: UNCLE!! on April 12, 2014, 12:19:04 AM
I had an argument with a friend about the the Longboard pop-up versus the shortboard pop-up. She was taught the "longboard  pop-up" and my assertion is that isn't even a good "pop-up" for a longboard, since if you don't get the long roll in, and have to drop late on an angle, you're screwed.

I have based so much of my long boarding life on the late take off for big and small waves. It's totally possible, though not as easy as on a shortboard. Late, sideways takeoffs on logs are fun as hell. You are only screwed if you're a novice. There is a technique, for sure, but I'm not up for attempting an explanation.

My short boarding takeoff is about not getting my front boot caught on a bump of wax as I drag my lardbut to its feet.
Post by: Looseness on April 14, 2014, 12:20:52 PM
I had an argument with a friend about the the Longboard pop-up versus the shortboard pop-up. She was taught the "longboard  pop-up" and my assertion is that isn't even a good "pop-up" for a longboard, since if you don't get the long roll in, and have to drop late on an angle, you're screwed.

I have based so much of my long boarding life on the late take off for big and small waves. It's totally possible, though not as easy as on a shortboard. Late, sideways takeoffs on logs are fun as hell. You are only screwed if you're a novice. There is a technique, for sure, but I'm not up for attempting an explanation.

My short boarding takeoff is about not getting my front boot caught on a bump of wax as I drag my lardbut to its feet.

I would say having seen your late takeoffs on REAL waves on either Longboards or oddities, that your pop-up happens in one FAST, fluid motion. No hitches or using your toes on the board there or you wouldn't make that brown trout.