NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

Special Interests - Surfing New York and New Jersey => Tips, Technique, and Style - The Definitive NY NJ Guide to Surfing => Topic started by: SeaCliff on June 15, 2015, 05:20:20 PM

Title: Anyone try a "nubster" aka "guitar pick" keel fin in their 5 fin setup?
Post by: SeaCliff on June 15, 2015, 05:20:20 PM
I now have 2 boards with 5 fin box setups - and I've been thinking about trying the full five fin setup, but going with a nubster for the trailer fin. Anyone out there try this setup yet?

Nubster Fin aka The Guitar Pick on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/31007305)
Title: Anyone try a "nubster" aka "guitar pick" keel fin in their 5 fin setup?
Post by: Kyle on June 15, 2015, 09:15:14 PM
Yes. Helps backside. Esp with size. Try it out! Surprising how such a small thing has such an effect.
Title: Re: Anyone try a "nubster" aka "guitar pick" keel fin in their 5 fin setup?
Post by: fulltilt720 on June 16, 2015, 11:48:32 AM
Got my first 5-fin this week (Faktion conman). Need to a lot of research on all the different combos like this available.
Title: Re: Anyone try a "nubster" aka "guitar pick" keel fin in their 5 fin setup?
Post by: Kdropin on June 16, 2015, 01:49:33 PM
Tried them on a couple boards... It's pretty good... Changes the feel a bit adds a Lil something more to push off of.... Sometimes I feel like it tightened the board up too much...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post by: Kyle on June 16, 2015, 05:37:29 PM
🏽 what he said
Post by: The Lone Surfer on June 16, 2015, 06:20:44 PM
Tried them in a couple of boards, but didn't feel like it added anything except for the one board that was made for it. Otherwise, I actually like the feel of the quad better.
Post by: SeaCliff on June 16, 2015, 06:42:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone - I ordered one, going to give it a try, we'll see!

@fulltilt720 - post up some pics of the new stick!
Post by: jonnyslasher on June 16, 2015, 10:03:53 PM
Slightly off topic, but I haven't really found the love for quads until riding Kyle's Stilleto quads for a minute. Holy moly, those are sick. Wish they came in Futures!!

Moral of the story, Sean Mattinson knows a thing or two about fins .... need to try a nubster myself.
Post by: fulltilt720 on June 17, 2015, 10:11:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone - I ordered one, going to give it a try, we'll see!

@fulltilt720 - post up some pics of the new stick!

5'10" x 19 3/4" x 2 5/8. Thinking it's in the 30L range. Pretty psyched about it.

Post by: Kyle on June 19, 2015, 09:18:57 PM

Slightly off topic, but I haven't really found the love for quads until riding Kyle's Stilleto quads for a minute. Holy moly, those are sick. Wish they came in Futures!!

Moral of the story, Sean Mattinson knows a thing or two about fins .... need to try a nubster myself.

Historians would say those stilettos were designed by John Belik.

They work great in fish as well.
Post by: Dorado on July 06, 2015, 04:37:25 PM
Those futures nubs are hard to get out of the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: 75Jbass on October 16, 2015, 12:02:08 PM
These work great in tri fins too. I knew a guy in San Diego years back who was making this trailer fins, a little bigger than the nub and they really gave a thruster/fish a nice little kick in medium to smaller surf. Could never find a similar fin in shops but now you see them all over.
Post by: frontsidecrotchgrab on October 18, 2015, 01:31:08 AM
I love the nubster in the right board. I love Sean's designs-boards AND fins. His quads often surf like a thruster off the top but have the speed of quads. His boards and complimenting fins lend themselves to the nubster a lot of the time. I think you might want to play with surface area of all of the fins so you find the right balance with the nub.
  I've had the pleasure of getting to know the mad genius himself over the course of the last year doing work in O'side. Every time we talk fin and board design, Sean ends up melting my brain!
Post by: trevbray89 on November 24, 2015, 01:32:37 AM
Yes. Helps backside (http://www.ngssoccer.com/).