NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => The Rockaway to Long Beach Surf Connection => Topic started by: 2serene on July 06, 2007, 12:25:10 AM

Title: bodyboarders
Post by: 2serene on July 06, 2007, 12:25:10 AM
dont get me wrong, good people. but why the fk does the lifeguards/parks dept. allow this in the surfing area? yet surfers at rkwy are forced to jump (or dodge) through all sorts off hoops to just simply surf what is rightfully ours. i just think its dangerous & irresponsible - not to metion hypocritical that they screw around out there. im just sayin, as far as i knew, that this was something allowed/accepted in the swimming areas. surfing at rkwy with whats gotta to be dealt with is enough, is this something thats been going on awhile or is it another part of the parks apathy?
Title: Re: bodyboarders
Post by: box on July 06, 2007, 01:01:47 AM
WHAT?
Post by: the Kook on July 06, 2007, 06:29:26 AM
WHAT?

I think he is referring to the "bodyboarders" on $15 CVS "bodyboards".
Post by: PSYCHO on July 06, 2007, 09:17:20 AM
1rst off nothing is rightfully ours. Its a public park, they make the rules, we have to follow. 2nd Theres no difference between a Kook on the most expensive board known to man & one on a cheap foam top. Boogers rip. If theyre seasoned like some surfers. The problem isnt Boogieboarders, its the surf beach. Its limited to have all 3 catagories pushed into a 1 or 2 block radius. Even if you remove bodyboarding from this discussion, shortboarders & longboarders get on each others nerves in the same way. Longboarders it way out, shorty's inside more. 2 different types of surfing & sitting in 2 areas that conflict with each other. In a perfect world we'd have a spot for everyone. A beginner Beach, a More advanced beach, long boards & shortboards could ahve some toher peaks that work best for them but its not a perfect world. We have no choice but to deal with all being scrunched into a tiny place in a popular era of surfingIt was crowded this morning from the Jetty to my house.

I wish someone had a picture of that to show the city. People were dropping in all up & down the whole beach. Not to mention kooks pullign up with 8 dudes paddling out right in front of the take of zone. Now add a Bodyboarder into the mix, poor peeps cant get a wave unless they drop in, they have no choice & if theyre kooks on 12.99 CVs special boogs then hey, they dont know like most of yas dont. Its not about the toy you bought, its how you play with it.
Post by: RayG on July 06, 2007, 09:25:48 AM
The odds of expanding the surf surf zone are probably nil. The City would feel it is not justified for the relatively small number. IF they did a study(hardly likely) they would probably do it in January and find 12 people happily taking up the whole area. "Why should we expand the surf zone?" Request denied. What is far more likely is some Pre-Law DFD getting in someones way, taking a fin to the noggin and suing the city for gabillions. Surf zone? Gone. Back to Guerilla tactics and counting on the lazy approach by the authorities we counted on 5 years ago.
Post by: PTSD on July 06, 2007, 09:30:29 AM
(http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/nucleus/media/13/20061111-Sponge%20Bong.jpg)
Post by: PlainYogurt on July 06, 2007, 09:32:18 AM
its just bullshit....everything
Post by: PSYCHO on July 06, 2007, 09:41:28 AM
The odds of expanding the surf surf zone are probably nil. The City would feel it is not justified for the relatively small number. IF they did a study(hardly likely) they would probably do it in January and find 12 people happily taking up the whole area. "Why should we expand the surf zone?" Request denied.

Ha! 12 people in January is even a thing of the past, its more like 30 to 60. ;D Even winters getting more crowded.
Post by: pefa on July 06, 2007, 09:51:30 AM
1rst off nothing is rightfully ours. Its a public park, they make the rules, we have to follow. 2nd Theres no difference between a Kook on the most expensive board known to man & one on a cheap foam top. Boogers rip. If theyre seasoned like some surfers. The problem isnt Boogieboarders, its the surf beach. Its limited to have all 3 catagories pushed into a 1 or 2 block radius. Even if you remove bodyboarding from this discussion, shortboarders & longboarders get on each others nerves in the same way. Longboarders it way out, shorty's inside more. 2 different types of surfing & sitting in 2 areas that conflict with each other. In a perfect world we'd have a spot for everyone. A beginner Beach, a More advanced beach, long boards & shortboards could ahve some toher peaks that work best for them but its not a perfect world. We have no choice but to deal with all being scrunched into a tiny place in a popular era of surfingIt was crowded this morning from the Jetty to my house.

I wish someone had a picture of that to show the city. People were dropping in all up & down the whole beach. Not to mention kooks pullign up with 8 dudes paddling out right in front of the take of zone. Now add a Bodyboarder into the mix, poor peeps cant get a wave unless they drop in, they have no choice & if theyre kooks on 12.99 CVs special boogs then hey, they dont know like most of yas dont. Its not about the toy you bought, its how you play with it.

can i get a halleluya ;D

mike stewart, for example, was/is probably agreed upon as the best SURFER, and having the most wave knowledge....... what is he usually riding? what kind of looks and prejudgements would people have of him walking down to the break.......
or psychosponger for that matter, used to rip circles around us
Post by: the Kook on July 06, 2007, 11:56:28 AM

I can see it now.  You come to the surf beach and see this.  Just insert surf everywhere it says ski.  ::)

(http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-44455167825110_1957_143487)
Post by: PTSD on July 06, 2007, 01:48:44 PM
what no bunny trails, this is bullsh1t!
Post by: little_nasty on July 06, 2007, 02:09:59 PM
surfing is surfing regardless of your method.  Bodyboarders deserve equal rights - i would argue moreso since their board does not present a hazard to other bathers in swimming areas.
Post by: the Kook on July 06, 2007, 02:14:01 PM
what no bunny trails, this is bullsh1t!

See the green circle?  That's the bunny trail.
Post by: the Kook on July 06, 2007, 02:19:11 PM
surfing is surfing regardless of your method.  Bodyboarders deserve equal rights - i would argue moreso since their board does not present a hazard to other bathers in swimming areas.

Agreed, but I think there should be some regulation of styrofoam bodyboarders at the designated beach.  I personally have no problem with a bodyboarder at the surf beach IF they know and obey the rules and etiquette of surfing.  I have a serious problem with the type that popped up in front of me a couple weeks ago.  He broke the surface about 10 feet in front of me and when I mentioned that he didn't belong in the water at the designated beach, he replied, "I here with my surfboard".  I jumped off and grabbed my board and asked him where his board was.  He pointed to his 6-7 year old son with a $15 boogyboard from Duane Reade.  It was then that I lost it.
Post by: little_nasty on July 06, 2007, 03:05:00 PM
personally, and i believe i've heard others mention this, a discerning factor/criteria could be swim fins.
Post by: box on July 06, 2007, 03:19:30 PM

dakook everyone should know and obey the rules of etiquette whatever type of board they are on. i see a whole lot of people in the surf beach on surfboards who know the rules of etiquette and ignore them completely.

nasty YESYESYES fins should not be in surf zone, no fins in swim zone. 99% of the time the difference is super obvious. i'm shooting myself in the foot saying this but i'm stepping back and considering what is safe for all people, surferswimmerspongers alike

pefa mike stewart YES and don't ever forget dropknee king KAINOA MCGEE who crossed into competitive surfing (first comp from what i understand was him placing semifinals at a pipe event after a year standing...holla!!!) with much success and cheers from both communities. this board vs that board is stupid. its all surfing.

i don't know how to post video here but this link is to a classic steward mcgee clip at pipe (but turn your speakers off)

the 2nd wave is RIDICULOUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rdml50bDw
Post by: RayG on July 06, 2007, 03:28:51 PM

nasty YESYESYES fins should not be in surf zone, no fins in swim zone. 99% of the time the difference is super obvious. i'm shooting myself in the foot saying this but i'm stepping back and considering what is safe for all people, surferswimmerspongers alike

I think you mean Fins IN the zone, no fins- outside the zone?
Post by: box on July 06, 2007, 03:33:55 PM
oh yeah...that's me typing too fast. fins in surf, no fins out.
Post by: PSYCHO on July 06, 2007, 04:03:20 PM

pefa mike stewart YES and don't ever forget dropknee king KAINOA MCGEE who crossed into competitive surfing (first comp from what i understand was him placing semifinals at a pipe event after a year standing...holla!!!) with much success and cheers from both communities. this board vs that board is stupid. its all surfing.

Yo & Jack the Rippa Lindholm, the OG of the DK. ;)
Post by: skSURF on July 06, 2007, 04:04:00 PM
personally, and i believe I've heard others mention this, a discerning factor/criteria could be swim fins.

That's been the qualification atSmith RM and Jones for being allowed to go out to the sand bars fir years.
Post by: UNCLE!! on July 06, 2007, 06:28:33 PM
There was a shortboarder guy with his girl who was on some form of sponge just asking to catch a board in the back of the head ... about 15 feet off the sticks.... She almost died at my hands like every time I tried to pull out f the stick's shorepound. I guess her boyfriend was trying to kill her.
Post by: 2serene on July 06, 2007, 07:33:54 PM

dakook everyone should know and obey the rules of etiquette whatever type of board they are on. i see a whole lot of people in the surf beach on surfboards who know the rules of etiquette and ignore them completely.

absolutely agree. for the record, im all for bodyboarders in the surf area (grew up riding one in pt. pleasant before i started to surf) & if you think about it, they have the best of both worlds - surf & swim beaches. i knew some beaches in nj that would have lifeguards on you in a second for bodyboarding in a surfing area.
i mean the parks dept & lifeguards wil get anyone fast even if they are ankle deep on the shore. the difference i guess lies in how anyone conducts themselves in the water, people who are sharp to others riding around/near them, & those who dont give a fk one way or the other - even if it means THEM getting hurt.
Post by: Luke_Nosewalker on July 06, 2007, 10:54:54 PM

i don't know how to post video here but this link is to a classic steward mcgee clip at pipe (but turn your speakers off)

Drop knee is sick but at around 2:42 the bber just dropped in on someone about to get shacked... so it's okay to drop in?  Not a very good precedent for what is trying to be established at the surf beach, eh?
Post by: Wavy Gravy on July 07, 2007, 09:30:13 AM
Here is a really bad, bad evil bad thought....and I bet the City would love this approach.  You have to have a "permit" to go surf...like you need a permit to go play tennis and pay $100 for the priveledge.  Then will get the permit taken away for "breaking the rules." 

Or you can have a surf permit like a drivers permit...and have to pass a written and surfing test in order surf at the surf beach.

That will keep the kooks out of the water for sure.

PS: I hate waking up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes.
Post by: box on July 07, 2007, 06:43:44 PM

Drop knee is sick but at around 2:42 the bber just dropped in on someone about to get shacked... so it's okay to drop in?  Not a very good precedent for what is trying to be established at the surf beach, eh?

oh yeah kainoa dropping in on someone - sick barrel he got out of it. i mean that's totally not cool. equally not cool is the surfer dropping in on  stewart in the next clip immediately after. actually its twice as worse cuz stew is prone (going face first down a 56868 foot wave) and that guy coulda decapitated him.

dropping in is bad. so is fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qn2tdkmNr0

^ legendary kainoa fight