NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

In the Wake of Sandy => The Recovery Room => Topic started by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 07:56:06 AM

Title: D!ck dome?
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 07:56:06 AM
What exactly is the point of that eyesore prefab wigwam in the parking lot? I understand it's affiliated with MOMA, but why? What is it for?
Title: Re: D!ck dome?
Post by: Årne Longbörgenssen on April 26, 2013, 08:38:10 AM
Its going to be the world largest jello mold.

This August its gonna be poured, then the jello will be donated to local charities. Only expected to cost 33 million for the refrigeration units and trucks.
Post by: Northstreet on April 26, 2013, 08:42:07 AM
It's BioDome IV, and Pauly Shore lives there....
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 09:11:35 AM
It's just ugly as sin. I'm trying to convince the local kids to spray paint "D!CK DOME" all over it. Then they'll have to take it down.
Post by: braden on April 26, 2013, 09:47:17 AM
What exactly is the point of that eyesore prefab wigwam in the parking lot? I understand it's affiliated with MOMA, but why? What is it for?

really dude?

I haven't been inside, and I aint exactly in love with Patty Smith or the MOMA PS1 art crowd, but really? You dont think  that perhaps something, nay, anything going on in Rockaway (be it a community garden, or a chance for RWA to use it as another reason to generate funding for doing something with kids) is at least a positive thing?

or, perhaps Im just missing the sarcasm dripping off the bacon
Post by: Kyle on April 26, 2013, 10:16:09 AM
I like the Bone Dome. Buckminster Fuller might not be impressed, it's purpose might be opaque but if it, in conjunction with other things draws people and $$ out to the peninsula, great. Is it a strange usage of $$ amidst a beaten up environment? Yes.
Post by: Badfish on April 26, 2013, 10:31:28 AM
A hipster by any other name would still be hated by Bacon.   ;D

I've been by a few times - I think the goal was just to serve as an open community space.  One of the problems of it is that it seems most of the promulgation of this has been word of mouth making it look more exclusive than the intent. They should have done a better job getting the word out there to locals not running in their circle but, on the flipside, even if they did would anyone actually become untrenched and utilize it?
Post by: SeaCliff on April 26, 2013, 10:41:06 AM

really dude?

I haven't been inside, and I aint exactly in love with Patty Smith or the MOMA PS1 art crowd, but really? You dont think  that perhaps something, nay, anything going on in Rockaway (be it a community garden, or a chance for RWA to use it as another reason to generate funding for doing something with kids) is at least a positive thing?

or, perhaps Im just missing the sarcasm dripping off the bacon

I'm with you. I'm for anyone investing time and effort in the community, in any way they feel they can contribute.
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 10:47:59 AM
I agree that (almost) any money coming in to the community is a good thing. That dome is just uggers. It's so sterile and just doesn't blend in. It looks like a triage area for a catastrophe.
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 11:20:56 AM
The community garden is a transparent and clear positive to Rock or any community. Some people eat the fruit and veggies grown there. Some people pee in other people's tomatoes. It's all good.

The white bubble of cultural enlightenment..... less clear. What is it there for? Seriously. I'm asking because I don't know anything about it other than some MOMA affiliation.
Post by: Årne Longbörgenssen on April 26, 2013, 11:49:29 AM
Giant sweat hut ?
Post by: frroK on April 26, 2013, 11:51:35 AM
It won't be there forever.
Post by: jscottk on April 26, 2013, 11:55:02 AM
It's put up and used by both ps1 and the local community.
It's also put up by the same people who helped in a big way both me personally and many homes in Rockaway.

Bacon as a dear old friend I have to say
( and say it in Klaus's German accent, the person who brought the dome.)

Go [email protected] yerself
( now add micheal stipe singing back up)
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 12:10:03 PM
It's put up and used by both ps1 and the local community.
It's also put up by the same people who helped in a big way both me personally and many homes in Rockaway.

Bacon as a dear old friend I have to say
( and say it in Klaus's German accent, the person who brought the dome.)

Go [email protected] yerself
( now add micheal stipe singing back up)

Like.

I love the helpsters who swept in like heavenly saints in the aftermath of Sandy. They are awesome. But what is the dome? Is it just a community space?

Post by: jscottk on April 26, 2013, 12:16:52 PM
Klaus is the curator of ps1
The dome is his
It's an existention of his help rock program
He owns a home on 86 ( motivation)

The dome events are booked by a local woman
Nina and are open to all both too attend and to book art related events

Some people like art
I like some art
Just like I like some people
Post by: surfplusart on April 26, 2013, 01:26:32 PM
I hope it gets an extension.
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 01:28:50 PM
Potluck?

Free?

I must sample this dome.
Post by: surfplusart on April 26, 2013, 01:33:24 PM
Post by: Kyle on April 26, 2013, 01:34:50 PM
This is good to know. Not that Bacon wants a free meal, but what's going on in there. Very cool.
Post by: Looseness on April 26, 2013, 01:40:58 PM
They've had a couple open mic nights too, I know EE {guy on this message board who lives in Rock} played at one last week. I just have had something happening when an event I wanted to hit was going on...
They have free WIFI, some tables outside, always seems to be some folks doing stuff there when I went by.
Doesn't look that ugly to me. Seems like anything that is free and possibly fun in Rock is a good thing.
http://momaps1.org/calendar/ (http://momaps1.org/calendar/)
Post by: Looseness on April 26, 2013, 01:43:57 PM
Oh and Bacon, really, the dome is ugly but this thing you ride is pretty?  :o

(http://www.cleanlinesurf.com/product_images/w/767/FRWFVAN__50383_zoom.jpg)
Post by: Crackie Onassis on April 26, 2013, 01:49:47 PM
Between boardwalk destruction, closure of all of the beachfront parks and glassy dirty sand, the dome is the only clean and open space in the neighborhood. It has proven to be an excellent place to bring the young'un on cold and windy days. Long live Crackie the Dome.
Post by: HydroGlide on April 26, 2013, 02:15:08 PM
That American Clittoral Society should think about planting some bushes around the D!ck Dome.
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 02:43:26 PM
That American Clittoral Society should think about planting some bushes around the D!ck Dome.

Flatbush? Brazilian? Landing strip? Seventies style?
Post by: Bacon on April 26, 2013, 02:45:18 PM
Oh and Bacon, really, the dome is ugly but this thing you ride is pretty?  :o

(http://www.cleanlinesurf.com/product_images/w/767/FRWFVAN__50383_zoom.jpg)

Never, ever insult a parent's child in front of them.

You're beautiful, baby. Don't listen to that creepy old guy. 
Post by: HydroGlide on April 26, 2013, 02:47:08 PM

Flatbush? Brazilian? Landing strip? Seventies style?
doesn't matter as long as the pot luck serves up some fresh clams, artisan pickles, and tacos
Post by: braden on April 26, 2013, 05:17:15 PM

low hanging fruit... ;D
Post by: Shacky on April 26, 2013, 06:48:45 PM
How do I say this?  Not a chance in hell!  As my conversation went with a person closely involved...  "Could you imagine the scene come Memorial Day?  What would happen to the porta potties alone?" 
Post by: frroK on April 26, 2013, 06:58:25 PM
How do I say this?  Not a chance in hell!  As my conversation went with a person closely involved...  "Could you imagine the scene come Memorial Day?  What would happen to the porta potties alone?"

I wish it was. I like it. It's a positive vibe for a neighborhood filled with so much negativity. I see people's posts on Facebook already saying they will not spend any money in the concession this as a form of protests. Whatever! Grumpy mcgrumpsters.
Post by: Gregg A. on April 26, 2013, 07:24:16 PM

I wish it was. I like it. It's a positive vibe for a neighborhood filled with so much negativity. I see people's posts on Facebook already saying they will not spend any money in the concession this as a form of protests. Whatever! Grumpy mcgrumpsters.

Protesting the dome by not spending money at the super fun concessions? The concessions that have beer, delicious food, free entertainment, free classes and hires Rock locals? Ok, makes sense. Where do I sign up to be a miserable person?  >:(
Post by: Shacky on April 26, 2013, 10:00:10 PM

They must be joking...
Post by: Northstreet on April 27, 2013, 06:58:27 AM
I'm so sick of stupid people complaining....
Post by: Bru on April 27, 2013, 10:51:53 AM
I live over there and have popped in on occasion.  Aside from what's been mentioned, it's also being used to try and involve local voices in the big decisions being made that affect Rockaway's future.  Whenever I've wandered in I've felt welcome. 

The only downside is it has some peculiar acoustics inside, and it can be hard to hear people speak unless everyone else is being quiet.  And it isn't always clear from the outside what's going on, but a pretty active calendar of events can be found here (http://momaps1.org/calendar/) (look for events labeled "VW Dome 2").

Post by: frroK on April 27, 2013, 09:29:14 PM

Protesting the dome by not spending money at the super fun concessions? The concessions that have beer, delicious food, free entertainment, free classes and hires Rock locals? Ok, makes sense. Where do I sign up to be a miserable person?  >:(
Exactly!!!
Post by: UNCLE!! on April 28, 2013, 09:22:12 AM
So let the Grumpsters stay away.. More Beer and bitchin french fries for Me!! And less Grumpsters. They can go get their food from the delis and hang out with the bums.
Post by: jammy on May 02, 2013, 11:41:17 AM
dome is extended to june 30, as per article from gothamist posted by arne in another thread.
i have enjoyed the dome. i think grousing about it or anything fun that goes on is so silly and doesn't give you old school local cred. it just makes you look like a miserable fuckwad.
Post by: jammy on May 02, 2013, 11:41:40 AM
wow that made it through the censor.
whoops.
sorry bb.
Post by: HydroGlide on May 02, 2013, 02:06:17 PM
you usually don't need to take grumpy people too seriously - grumpy is its own art form
Post by: jscottk on May 02, 2013, 09:28:59 PM
Grumpsters, the new hipster?
This summer is all about hate'in on grumpsters...

Post by: Badfish on May 03, 2013, 07:34:50 AM
I was angry about things BEFORE it was cool.   :D
Post by: Harry Balzsac on May 03, 2013, 08:10:12 AM
fuckwad \m/
Post by: Bacon on May 03, 2013, 08:15:58 AM
Fuckwad FTW!
Post by: HydroGlide on May 03, 2013, 10:45:37 AM
rag grumpsters while you can - they are a dying breed of artists being rapidly replaced by the civilly appropriate on the outside (mid west/disney hybrids) and the inappropriately outraged on the inside (see angry boston guy's target) .
Post by: Årne Longbörgenssen on May 03, 2013, 11:39:14 AM
the dome is a yarmulke that fell off the head of a giant jewish robot sent by the world zionist conspiracy to steer hurricane sandy toward the coast of new jersey, to tip the election to obama and get east coast liberals (read:jews) more money.

just ask dan:

(http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/opposingviews.com/files/imagecache/300x250/featured_image/DanBidondi.png)
Post by: Bacon on May 03, 2013, 11:58:29 AM
I love jewbots!!!
Post by: ChopChaser on May 03, 2013, 07:48:32 PM
Come inside the D Dome this Sunday at 1p, wifey and I will be talking about some stuff.

Post by: N.F. Ee on May 04, 2013, 02:13:20 PM
I love jewbots!!!

Hot damn! Please tell me there's a fembot model!  ;D
Post by: seb on May 16, 2013, 05:23:29 PM
(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599345_10151427913141451_345594971_n.jpg)