NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

Special Interests - Surfing New York and New Jersey => The Health and Fitness Center - Surf Crosstraining, Fitness, Food and Injury Rehab Guide for the NY NJ Surfer! => Topic started by: obfuscations on May 17, 2011, 03:46:04 PM

Title: skin biopsy / water time
Post by: obfuscations on May 17, 2011, 03:46:04 PM
 anyone have experience with small-area biopsy for possible skin cancer?  having a mole checked out later this week, if dr. wants to cut it i'm wondering what that means for water time.  thx
Title: Re: skin biopsy / water time
Post by: nicolecamp425 on May 17, 2011, 04:19:33 PM
I was able to get in the next day!
Post by: ankleslapper on May 17, 2011, 04:42:51 PM
speaking from experience, it'll likely be a 'shave' first (which means neosporin + band-aid=in water next day)...and if they need to examine further, you might need stitches -- but that's usually a follow-up appt.  With stitches, depending on whether you listen to docs or not, might keep you out.  I was out last Spring for the better part of two weeks -- just because I wanted a span of stitches on my shoulder blade to heal well.  You know what - it was over Memorial Day...time to make an appointment for yearly check.  Hope all goes well.
Post by: obfuscations on May 17, 2011, 04:57:26 PM
 exactly my scenario - thursday afternoon appointment and hoping to surf fri/sat, so this is good to hear.  thx!   dreading the results though, its right on top of my head so won't be pleasant or pretty if it has to come off
Post by: Kmf on May 18, 2011, 08:40:37 AM
If its anything serious and on top of your head not pretty, hade one last summer and was out of the water all of July and part of August.
Post by: obfuscations on May 18, 2011, 09:14:30 AM
 fingers crossed its benign, will know soon enough .   kmf was that no pool too, or just ocean?  if i can at least keep swimming laps i won't go totally insane ...
Post by: Kmf on May 18, 2011, 09:28:57 AM
Might be able to do the pool. My case was pretty bad, 43 staples so after they were out was still a little nervous about being in the water
Post by: obfuscations on May 18, 2011, 09:50:33 AM
 wow, glad yr OK !  this thing is pretty small so even if it goes i hope less carnage than you faced .   
Post by: obfuscations on May 19, 2011, 02:09:33 PM
doc says almost surely benign, will take it off next week anyway (no stiches) ... phew!   and i'll surf tomorrow ! 
Post by: seb on May 19, 2011, 04:20:40 PM
Wear a swimcap if biopsy not totally healed, lots of runoff these past few days...don't risk an infection.
Post by: obfuscations on June 09, 2011, 09:03:15 AM
 got my results back - benign - and the biop spot healed clean - and i surfed - all good and a relief !!
Post by: ankleslapper on June 10, 2011, 08:56:13 PM
congrats.  I just had a 'clear' annual check last week -- nothing off.  phew.  Just something I feel like we all need to say on top of ...not skipping/putting off those appts.