NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

Special Interests - Surfing New York and New Jersey => The Health and Fitness Center - Surf Crosstraining, Fitness, Food and Injury Rehab Guide for the NY NJ Surfer! => Topic started by: nose_manual on November 26, 2013, 08:58:53 AM

Title: Achilles tendon tightness and surfing
Post by: nose_manual on November 26, 2013, 08:58:53 AM
After years of abuse from skating and two broken ankles, my achilles' are in need of some attention.  It's hard to surf when you're bending deeply at the knees and your back heel doesn't touch the board... it's one point of contact and you're effectively balancing on the ball of your foot.   Need a good laugh?  Watch me do this cheater five!

Anybody else in this predicament?  Suggestions?  I have been doing some achilles-specific stretches that should help, but it seems like this is a problem area for me and might take some long-term nurturing to improve.
Title: Re: Achilles tendon tightness and surfing
Post by: Kdropin on November 26, 2013, 11:18:26 AM
Get a "the stick" massage it into calf/Achilles area
Post by: Looseness on November 26, 2013, 11:50:15 AM
I have other problem, tight areas but here's what I've learned:

Post by: thanks_table on November 27, 2013, 11:11:30 PM
Stretching prior to a workout seems to be the standard practice, but I've found that stretching immediately AFTER is much more beneficial. Obviously, both is best; and whenever you can during is also helpful.
Post by: Looseness on November 28, 2013, 11:33:31 PM
Stretching prior to a workout seems to be the standard practice, but I've found that stretching immediately AFTER is much more beneficial. Obviously, both is best; and whenever you can during is also helpful.

While people may be doing that, the current/popular theory is to NOT stretch before workout, but to actively warm up the muscles you will be using. So yeah, after workout stretching, but also just stretching in general on other occasions {I get up from my desk before lunch and do 10-20 minutes of yoga before lunch} if one is trying to elongate too short tendons/muscles/fascia .