NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

Back on Dry Land => Team DeskRider Headquarters - for the working NY and NJ Surfer! => Topic started by: Badfish on May 12, 2006, 05:03:38 PM

Title: Help Wanted Wanted
Post by: Badfish on May 12, 2006, 05:03:38 PM
hey so im back from Ireland, poor, sober (finally), bored, and ohh yea poor. I'm entering my senior year at Stonehill College (despite its lack of a name its actually a good school) and am a philosophy major with a 3.4 gpa. Is anyone/does anyone know of anywhere thats hiring or would anyone like to simply hire me as their personal assistant/slave/court jester/ect.?   If so please let me know.

Thanks,

Badfish (not my real name)
Title: Re: Help Wanted Wanted
Post by: Tom! on May 12, 2006, 06:29:41 PM
Let me jump in too.  any team desk rider members need a book keeper or accounting clerk?
entering sr year,3.8 gpa
Post by: Badfish on May 12, 2006, 06:39:53 PM
um....i said stonehill? i meant harvard with a 4.0 gpa???? maybe....
Post by: Mims on May 12, 2006, 07:48:31 PM
philosophy major? now you can have deep thoughts about being unemployed.

Post by: surfnli on May 12, 2006, 08:05:14 PM
ho you fellas are in for it!  i just updated my resume today, time to make some moves!
Post by: TropicalCreations on May 12, 2006, 08:55:35 PM
dont bother with corporate america ot blows if your a true surfer type. for me its either coast guard as an officer or grad school for shipping either way im out of the office and back on the ocean where i belong
Post by: Tom! on May 12, 2006, 08:58:23 PM
I did the military thing and it put food onthe table, thats about it.  Everyone struggles with their family and money, forget that.
Post by: TropicalCreations on May 12, 2006, 09:14:07 PM
I did the military thing and it put food onthe table, thats about it.  Everyone struggles with their family and money, forget that.

were you an officer? im 24 and have no plans of having kids to after thirty, if i do it its to teach myself dicipline and be out on the ocean and out of misarable for me office jobs, and it will set me up in the shipping industry
Post by: Tom! on May 12, 2006, 09:17:25 PM

were you an officer? im 24 and have no plans of having kids to after thirty, if i do it its to teach myself dicipline and be out on the ocean and out of misarable for me office jobs, and it will set me up in the shipping industry
NO, I was an NCO.  I might commission in the reserves through OCS but the mil and my future arent exactly compatible.
Post by: surfnli on May 12, 2006, 09:21:55 PM
dont bother with corporate america ot blows if your a true surfer type. for me its either coast guard as an officer or grad school for shipping either way im out of the office and back on the ocean where i belong

::) ::) ::)

yeah, you really hit the nail on the head with that one.  don't hate cause you can't hack it.
Post by: WickedQuiver on May 12, 2006, 10:18:00 PM
Buy a tent and load up the car...

Head down to the outer banks for the summer. Pitch a tent at a campground that will let you stay for the summer.  Work at one of the many summer jobs down there. you'll be glad you did.

Post by: I dont surf at rock on May 13, 2006, 03:17:26 PM
dont kid yourself TC, in the shipping industry, unless you ship out, your gonna be at a desk

Im hoping to get into the same program as you at SUNY Maritime
Post by: sir_schadenfreude on May 13, 2006, 06:48:07 PM
dont kid yourself TC, in the shipping industry, unless you ship out, your gonna be at a desk

Or stuck on a ship.  I suggest going to law school and becoming a maritime lawyer--which will allow you to practive anywhere in the world--then using the money to start a charter business.
Post by: surfnli on May 13, 2006, 09:40:53 PM

Or stuck on a ship.  I suggest going to law school and becoming a maritime lawyer--which will allow you to practive anywhere in the world--then using the money to start a charter business.

now that is a dope idea...thanks for that s_g...you have any personal experience doing the same?
Post by: PTSD on May 14, 2006, 09:40:26 AM
I'm digging this thread, I wish I would have found it 14 years ago.
Post by: I dont surf at rock on May 14, 2006, 08:31:01 PM
Im actually thinking about going to law school, just I dont want the stigma of actually being a lawyer, hofstra has a pretty good program that allows you to get an MBA and a JD in 4 years

and why do you need to be a lawyer to start a charter company? I started one last month, all you need is a boat, a license, and some start up cash
Post by: Northstreet on May 15, 2006, 08:38:10 AM
cool thread! 

My only regrets about my current job and the years I spent in grad school is that I racked up alot of debt along the way....be careful about that......I don't regret having time to travel and not be seriously tied down to a 9-5 job until now....

...even if you go to law school, you don't have to end up as stereotypical asshole lawyer...there are other career paths for lawyers at agencies and government....and it's worthwhile even if you don't practice.....

Now, a philosophy major might not seem like a ticket to a real job, but you would be surprised....I've done pretty well with a degree in anthropology.....
Post by: Tom! on May 15, 2006, 11:30:13 AM
Im actually thinking about going to law school, just I dont want the stigma of actually being a lawyer, hofstra has a pretty good program that allows you to get an MBA and a JD in 4 years

and why do you need to be a lawyer to start a charter company? I started one last month, all you need is a boat, a license, and some start up cash
I looked into these joint MBAs.  What side are you leaning towards?  Practicing law with a business backgorund or the other way around?  Hofstra wouldnt make my list for joint programs, much better ones out there in the NYC area.
Post by: I dont surf at rock on May 15, 2006, 01:32:44 PM
the whole plan is to go into the family business and be a businessman with a law degree, Ill probably be focusing on mergers and aquisitions
Post by: Cheap Floozy on May 18, 2006, 09:24:03 PM
...I find it easier to be a corporate whore.  But that's just me.  And I like easy.