NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

Back on Dry Land => Team DeskRider Headquarters - for the working NY and NJ Surfer! => Topic started by: Dan S on December 24, 2011, 12:02:05 PM

Title: Best Career Path for Surfer
Post by: Dan S on December 24, 2011, 12:02:05 PM
To become a suit and work the 9-5 grind you have to give up a lot in terms of your ability to be flexible and surf.  What do you think the best career choices for a surfer would be that gives them financial security and time flexibilty to allow us free spirits to be free and surf when we want.

I for one did the 9-5 grind and went back to serving tables 20 hours a week for cash and health benefits, and I am a freelance programmer / web designer / database admin.  Although I wish I made slightly more money, I am able to hit the surf almost whenever it is good and drop anything on a whim.  And I can take as many vacation days as I want because I have no real set hours.

Lets see some suggestions for other surf-friendly careers.
Title: Re: Best Career Path for Surfer
Post by: waveslider on December 25, 2011, 11:33:47 PM
cop or fireman
Post by: Crackie Onassis on December 26, 2011, 11:04:36 AM
Clean energy:
Hawaii has an 80% renewable portfolio mandate set for 2030, which means 20% fossil fuels with the balance of power generated by wind, solar, geo and wave power. Then there is smart grid (scaling power demand & supply via software) and fuel cells (collecting wind/wave power and delivering it into the grid). This industry is where the jobs are going to be for the balance of this century.

Investment Banking:
Think there will be a solution to the unemployment problem without the investment banks? Investment banking is the most misunderstood job out there right now. If I lead a team that can $400m of growth capital for a company with $50m in sales and that company can use that capital to hire a new sales team, then the banks have earned their fees. IB is a tough job but pay your dues and you will be well compensated and afford annual big ticket surf trips. Travel with companies that have a banking relationship with you and the expense is minimal.

Post by: money4coffeeman on December 27, 2011, 01:26:24 AM
trust fund kid seems to be a good gig... seem to be plenty of them in surfy locales these days. Grow white boy dreads, eat organic, bag hippy chicks, and cash those monthly checks and you can be a trustafarian too  ;D
(still waiting to hear back on my application...)
Post by: Waves be Good on December 27, 2011, 06:02:41 AM
self-employment in development work with a mixed bag of specialities of particular relevance to uncrowded coastal regions with solid surf
Post by: theusername on December 27, 2011, 10:22:03 AM
Being a university professor (in an area near enough to decent waves) is a pretty good situation. Flexible schedule during the week, winter break free and summer recess for travel to better waves and working with creative, engaged, and talented people. I scored a ton of water time until I had a baby!
Post by: Shacky on December 27, 2011, 10:50:42 AM

Investment Banking:
Think there will be a solution to the unemployment problem without the investment banks? Investment banking is the most misunderstood job out there right now. If I lead a team that can $400m of growth capital for a company with $50m in sales and that company can use that capital to hire a new sales team, then the banks have earned their fees. IB is a tough job but pay your dues and you will be well compensated and afford annual big ticket surf trips. Travel with companies that have a banking relationship with you and the expense is minimal.

Until you get staffed on a deal the day before the trip. 
Post by: Årne Longbörgenssen on December 27, 2011, 12:06:14 PM
trust fund kid seems to be a good gig... seem to be plenty of them in surfy locales these days. Grow white boy dreads, eat organic, bag hippy chicks, and cash those monthly checks and you can be a trustafarian too  ;D
(still waiting to hear back on my application...)

1) is there an age requirement for this ?
2) where can i get an application ?
3) (and i guess this is related to my first question, but...) are the dreds mandatory ?
Post by: The Lone Surfer on December 27, 2011, 03:56:38 PM
Being a university professor (in an area near enough to decent waves) is a pretty good situation. Flexible schedule during the week, winter break free and summer recess for travel to better waves and working with creative, engaged, and talented people. I scored a ton of water time until I had a baby!

Being a tenured faculty member. Completely different story trying to patch together classes from various universities to make ends meet.
Post by: Dan S on December 27, 2011, 09:06:59 PM
Interesting suggestions.  I personally like the Cop or Fireman.  Good pay /  pension and the hours after you get setup can be great for surfing.  Night Shifts for cops or Firemen can do the 24 hour shift, 3 days off, 24 hours 2 days off routine.  Good for having other jobs or businesses or just for some surf time.  Both have over 28 paid vacation each year and *unlimited sick (not to be over used).

Restaurant Management also have some respectful salaries.  Flexible hours, (self scheduling if you make the schedule).  GM's can come and go as they please and at most decent places make 100,000 grand with their bonuses.
Post by: three_fins_out on December 28, 2011, 03:36:28 PM
Isn't "career path" and "surfer" an oxymoron? Just sayin...
Post by: Ghost of WQ on December 28, 2011, 11:02:52 PM
if your job/career comes 2nd to surfing as adult, and you live on the east coast... you're nuts.
Post by: The Lone Surfer on December 29, 2011, 09:58:56 AM
if your job/career comes 2nd to surfing as adult, and you live on the east coast... you're nuts.

Haha. I could say the opposite. Even with the best laid plans, intentions, and work, some careers just end up being jobs. Fortunate for those that find joy and fulfillment in their careers but don't hold it against those who don't.

Coming from someone who's been on both sides, it's really hard to see the other perspective in either case.
Post by: money4coffeeman on December 29, 2011, 12:13:38 PM
A lot of jobs/careers work...where theres a will theres a way.
Some of the best surf careers I know of are things I never would've thought of (ex: I know a CPA who logs an insane amout of water/travel time, and a high tension electrical powerline equipment salesman who surfs lots and makes bank..etc). These surfers just went out and through trial and error found a niche or took a standard gig and customized it to fit their needs over time(with a lot of hard work and some luck). As with a good surf adventure, such is life. And like a surf trip where you find a sick set-up, you may not be keen on broadcasting it to the general public once you have it. At the end of the day career happiness comes from not what you do, but how you do it and if you learn to get good at somthing and work with people you like, you will have a good work life. Real surfers are a creative bunch and will find a way to make it work, sometimes with amazing results.
BE STOKED...the rest is details :)
Post by: The Lone Surfer on December 29, 2011, 12:27:22 PM
Some of the best surf careers I know of are things I never would've thought of (ex: I know a CPA who logs an insane amout of water/travel time, and a high tension electrical powerline equipment salesman who surfs lots and makes bank..etc). These surfers just went out and through trial and error found a niche or took a standard gig and customized it to fit their needs over time(with a lot of hard work and some luck). As with a good surf adventure, such is life. And like a surf trip where you find a sick set-up, you may not be keen on broadcasting it to the general public once you have it. At the end of the day career happiness comes from not what you do, but how you do it and if you learn to get good at somthing and work with people you like, you will have a good work life. Real surfers are a creative bunch and will find a way to make it work, sometimes with amazing results.

Great post.
Post by: three_fins_out on December 29, 2011, 02:17:50 PM

My experience has been that balancing the family stuff is way harder then the career stuff. If you can pick a career you really like and become good at it and you'll be in demand ie call your hours and salary. But once you have the whole
house/kids going it seems your time and dollar priories shift unless you were already in a v good position, which most surfers are not lol

Even the guys I know who have the ideal setup (live in LB/rock) good jobs with home and kids still don't surf all the time because of the other demands...
Post by: three_fins_out on December 29, 2011, 02:23:04 PM
That being said I think some great jobs are:

Anything related to surfing or water related issues where the bosses will support water time (these jobs often don't pay)

Teaching - lots of summer water time, great benefits, decent salary

Self employed - ideal for water time and salary, benefits suck

Service industry - got my most water time during years on evening dinner shifts, not too family friendly though and pay is not too good

Anyone in real estate sales? Wonder what those hours are like... Maybe mornings free?
Post by: Dan S on December 29, 2011, 11:58:54 PM

Many likes to this one!
Post by: money4coffeeman on December 30, 2011, 12:42:15 AM

My experience has been that balancing the family stuff is way harder then the career stuff. If you can pick a career you really like and become good at it and you'll be in demand ie call your hours and salary. But once you have the whole
house/kids going it seems your time and dollar priories shift unless you were already in a v good position, which most surfers are not lol

Even the guys I know who have the ideal setup (live in LB/rock) good jobs with home and kids still don't surf all the time because of the other demands...

True- Hope to start having kids in the next few years but honestly if I lose water time because of that, I wont care at all. Thats a great trade off. Anyway, Im finding that as I get older, surf quality is more important to me than quantity. A real good session can last me for weeks before I feel a jones again, sometimes longer. Ive never had to make this decision, but Ive often wondered if I could or would take a higher paying gig in a totally landlocked, lower cost of living location if I could take 3-4 quality surf trips a year... I think I might do it if the opportunity came up to bank some serious $..potentially retire early to a surfy place, etc.. Its an interesting question to ponder and one that in light of current economic conditions a lot of surfers probably are.
Three fins out's post highlights the fact that if the goal is lifestyle, you better remember that even more important than choice of career is choice of spouse. If momma aint happy... aint nobody happy. Im lucky to have a wife that surfs and although not as passionate about it as I am, she respects my need to not let my gills dry out, and encourages me to enjoy what makes me "me". In turn, I dont abuse that like a selfish f---.
Anyday of the week, in the surf/happiness equation, choice of spouse> choice of career
Unless maybe youre a trust fund kid ;)
Post by: three_fins_out on December 30, 2011, 01:56:46 PM

True- Hope to start having kids in the next few years but honestly if I lose water time because of that, I wont care at all. Thats a great trade off. Anyway, Im finding that as I get older, surf quality is more important to me than quantity. A real good session can last me for weeks before I feel a jones again, sometimes longer. Ive never had to make this decision, but Ive often wondered if I could or would take a higher paying gig in a totally landlocked, lower cost of living location if I could take 3-4 quality surf trips a year... I think I might do it if the opportunity came up to bank some serious $..potentially retire early to a surfy place, etc.. Its an interesting question to ponder and one that in light of current economic conditions a lot of surfers probably are.
Three fins out's post highlights the fact that if the goal is lifestyle, you better remember that even more important than choice of career is choice of spouse. If momma aint happy... aint nobody happy. Im lucky to have a wife that surfs and although not as passionate about it as I am, she respects my need to not let my gills dry out, and encourages me to enjoy what makes me "me". In turn, I dont abuse that like a selfish f---.
Anyday of the week, in the surf/happiness equation, choice of spouse> choice of career
Unless maybe youre a trust fund kid ;)

Totally agree with the quality vs quantity comment. Probably surf half of what I did ten years ago but the quality has gone way up. My surfing is in between somewhere so I think I need little nasty to crunch a total surfn satisfaction formula
Post by: Kdropin on December 30, 2011, 03:09:05 PM

Being a tenured faculty member. Completely different story trying to patch together classes from various universities to make ends meet.
can't complain  8)
Post by: uncutproducts on January 02, 2012, 06:18:37 AM
I used to surf as much as I wanted prekids. Work in advertising but they were cool with me rolling in at 11-12 if there were waves. I haven't dp'd on a weekday since my daughter started pre-k.

I'd say ideal job for surfing (with no kids) would be travel writer/blogger, fashion/stock photographer or freelance web developer. You'd just have to live really accessible to a major air hub. You'd have no health insurance or security but that wasn't the point of this.
Post by: HydroGlide on January 03, 2012, 04:44:52 PM
prostitution (just avoid the Gilgo area)
Post by: Harry Balzsac on January 04, 2012, 09:40:21 AM

Who you kidding? We're all whores in one way or another. Just because you don't suck dick, doesn't mean you're not a prostitute. Still, avoid the Gilgo area is good advice.
Post by: Crackie Onassis on January 04, 2012, 09:56:25 AM
I still say investment banker.
Work hard, make a ton of dough, retire young.
Post by: The Lone Surfer on January 04, 2012, 09:57:16 AM

except how many do that?
Post by: NJ Longboarder on January 04, 2012, 10:13:29 AM
have super rich parents, marry rich, or win the lotto.  i'm 0 for 3. 
Post by: N.F. Ee on January 04, 2012, 03:11:58 PM

Who you kidding? We're all whores in one way or another. Just because you don't suck dick, doesn't mean you're not a prostitute. Still, avoid the Gilgo area is good advice.

Na, man. You eitha a pimp, o you a ho.
Post by: snaggletooth on January 04, 2012, 07:24:20 PM

not anymore. banker pay is less than half what it was a few years ago. and then most of it is in stock that has lost, oh, close to 50% in the last year, but you can't touch it anyway because it doesn't vest for 5 years, but your career won't last that much longer anyway, and then you don't get to keep the stock when you 1) are either squeezed out or 2) decide the stress isn't for you. but you still have to payback the $150k you spent on your stupid Wharton MBA where you really don't learn anything anyway. my vote is for fireman.
Post by: Dorado on January 04, 2012, 08:27:35 PM
FDNY pretty good deal if you don't get hurt , killed burnt etc ..... Pluses great schedule , enabling adequate surf and family time with good flexibility . Minuses potential to get hurt , burned or killed , exposure to tons of toxins def taking years off your life . Pretty much a fixed income if you don't apply your self as promotion is solely based upon Civil Service promotional exam given only every 3-5 years .
I can't complain get to surf , get to travel , spend a lot of time with the family , generally work in a fun/ exciting at times environment .....but as plenty of people I know your only as good or as safe as your last fire , generally things go well but when they go bad they go bad .
Also the new pension tier is going to suck compared to what the old tie guys get ...... STILL THE GREATEST JOB IN TH WORLD .... but the powers that be are trying to change that .   
Post by: snaggletooth on January 04, 2012, 09:37:46 PM
FDNY pretty good deal if you don't get hurt , killed burnt etc ..... Pluses great schedule , enabling adequate surf and family time with good flexibility . Minuses potential to get hurt , burned or killed , exposure to tons of toxins def taking years off your life . Pretty much a fixed income if you don't apply your self as promotion is solely based upon Civil Service promotional exam given only every 3-5 years .
I can't complain get to surf , get to travel , spend a lot of time with the family , generally work in a fun/ exciting at times environment .....but as plenty of people I know your only as good or as safe as your last fire , generally things go well but when they go bad they go bad .
Also the new pension tier is going to suck compared to what the old tie guys get ...... STILL THE GREATEST JOB IN TH WORLD .... but the powers that be are trying to change that .

I wasn't thinking about the toxins part - that is pretty scary. Still, otherwise a great gig for all the reasons you listed. You do put your life on the line, but for good reason. I reaffirm my vote for fireman
Post by: suspectdevice on January 04, 2012, 10:57:14 PM
i know a few NY firemen, and i agree...not to downplay the risks they take, but from a standpoint of free time, etc.  it seems to be great.  wish i had considered it!  i actually went to college on oahu and took a lifesaving course that was was pretty rigorous...it included getting certified in first aid, cpr, lifeguarding.  our instructor was captain of the oahu FD.  he talked to me one day outside of class and explained that honolulu had one of the most difficult physical tests in the country to pass in order to become a firefighter.  he thought i could pass it and that i should consider taking it.  i was young and dumb, and to be honest, at the time, thought that it was corny as hell to be a fire man.  i thanked him but never even considered it.  i try not to have any regrets, but i definitely look back at that and wonder what i would have done if i had known anything about pensions, benefits, the real world, etc..........luckily i'm happy in my life, but that was definitely a fork in the road that could have been a big difference.
Post by: HydroGlide on January 05, 2012, 09:39:29 AM
harry has a point - your responsibilities or expectations usually drive how often you hit the street. Surfer's need free or unstructured time - many jobs provide that but you have to ask if that free time job will provide enough income - the answer depends on too many variables to make a blanket statement.  for instance, all the NYC firemen I knew growing up (including my uncle and a guy I worked for in college) needed second jobs/side businesses to support their families at the level they desired. but back then the mom's often stayed home to raise the kids so maybe today's fireman has plenty surfy surfy time because mom works in place of the fireman's side business (variables) and lone surfer has a point too - the spawn of a fireman may make a relative fortune on Wall St compared to dad and he/she may start out thinking early retirement but the economic ratchet almost always shows up to have jr. thinking work longer for that beach house instead of retirement - which circles back to NJLongboarder's point - it is probably best to be the child, spouse, or grandchild of the golden handcuffed Wall Ster if you want it all with free time to boot (but then that WallSter is your pimp daddy and you have to suck up to stay in the cash flow) - someone somewhere has to hit the street, it used to be daddy hitting the street to take care of the rest of the family bit now who knows (we haven't even gotten into the whole divorce/child care payment check cash flow thing yet) as a surfer looking to maximize free time, your job is to make sure its not you
Post by: Dorado on January 05, 2012, 01:59:54 PM
My wife has t worked full time in years , I have been promoted once and am going to study for te next exam for Captain . This and my children go to public school right now and we live within our means . We only have 1 car , one HDTV , rent out parting our modest house etc . The first 6 years as a fireman is pretty lean as you don't reach top pay for that long . Same as a LT . 4 full years for top pay LT with te big raise at the end . A lot k guys work 2 nd jobs . I make myself available for OT during the holidays and summer when people are in vacation in lieu of working a 2 nd job . This however can not always be relied on as consistent income as the economy has
Post by: The Lone Surfer on January 05, 2012, 02:58:35 PM
Even the best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry. On the one hand you really often do have to put a lot of planning, schooling, due paying into most careers, and this could take years. So, you could pick a career that seems to offer a lot of surf time, pay your dues and then find yourself not even surfing down the road. Or, you could hate your chosen career. Or, the career could not exist in ten years.

A better question might be, how can I live my life simply, in a way that gives me the freedom to make decisions based on pleasure, family, etc.
Post by: f_leghorn on January 05, 2012, 06:11:45 PM
i never wanted to be a fireman as a kid, but then i caught the bug for it in my 20's thinking how it might sync up with a life at the beach and afford some time for other things that city 9 to 5's (or is that 6's,7's,8's or 9's) put the squeeze on.  but i turned too old by the time the fdny opened up the applications this past summer.  i was bummed for a bit, but find myself thinking now more along the lines like lonesurfer suggested, trying to make a bit more freedom for myself
Post by: Harry Balzsac on January 06, 2012, 09:14:02 AM
Life is a sh!t sandwich, eat it or starve. All rest is just a search for a little extra mustard. At least, that's what Dad told me.
Post by: Dan S on January 07, 2012, 01:51:57 PM
i never wanted to be a fireman as a kid, but then i caught the bug for it in my 20's thinking how it might sync up with a life at the beach and afford some time for other things that city 9 to 5's (or is that 6's,7's,8's or 9's) put the squeeze on.  but i turned too old by the time the fdny opened up the applications this past summer.  i was bummed for a bit, but find myself thinking now more along the lines like lonesurfer suggested, trying to make a bit more freedom for myself

I think what bugs me about the 9 to 5's the most is that they are never 9 to 5.  Most office jobs come with salary which is a great way for companies to exploit their workers.  They say you work 9 to 5 but expect you to put in extra if you don't exceed their ridiculously high-set goals.  So you find yourself coming in at 8 and staying to 6, on Friday you dash to get as much as you can to get out for the weekend and then they slap you with a... "this needs to be done before Monday" stunt so you either stay late on Friday or take home work for the weekend.

Not every white collared job is like this but many are.  At least with blue collared you get overtime when doing extra.  Overtime is a great way to show your employer that your free-time is worth more money than normal working time.
Post by: surfnli on January 07, 2012, 06:57:22 PM
two cents: (a) not sure 9 to 5s even exist anymore, to me the concept/term/etc. is a relic of a different era and (b) banking is most definitely NOT a good career for a surfer, for all the reasons snuggle mentioned and more!
Post by: seacow on January 09, 2012, 02:02:51 PM
I feel like 9-5 doesnt exist in NYC but I have friends in different parts of the country and it seems like 9-5 is way more standard / average. 
Post by: The Lone Surfer on January 09, 2012, 03:41:10 PM
I feel like 9-5 doesnt exist in NYC but I have friends in different parts of the country and it seems like 9-5 is way more standard / average.

I've seen/heard this too. I work less on most days now than when I worked for an investment bank, so not all employers/careers are equal in that respect. Some of the most overworked people I know are self employeed/Small business owners. A vacation for my brother is a 3 day weekend twice a year, and he works at least 6 full days a week just about every week.
Post by: nose_manual on January 09, 2012, 06:20:20 PM
I'm a teacher in a public school in Brooklyn, and it's pretty good surf-wise.  Good, not great.  Summers off are fun if there are waves, and even if there aren't.  I get out of work at 3 and when it's daylight savings time, I can get to the beach and surf for at least two hours if there are waves.  Dawn patrols during the week are not an option, though.  The other big downside is that when we have vacations, every kid has vacations, so flights are expensive.  Of course, we can also take leaves of absence and do sabbaticals, which could be nice if you worked it out the right way. 

The best part is the pay--teachers are way overpaid (just ask the Republican party).  Ha.  Ok, not all of the Republican party, to be fair.

Post by: NJ Longboarder on January 13, 2012, 08:29:55 AM
Some of the most overworked people I know are self employeed/Small business owners. A vacation for my brother is a 3 day weekend twice a year, and he works at least 6 full days a week just about every week.

Too true.  I got caught up in this mentality when the economy tanked, but got the bidness back on its feet and stronger than ever.  Just made a new hire and comitted to another for the spring and I am going on vacation.   

edit: another thing to keep in mind is fitness level.  if you find an active career, you will be in better shape for surfing.  a desk job requires extra time to excercise when it's flat. 
Post by: Smiley's people on January 27, 2012, 12:09:45 AM
The thing about owning a small business is that I can surf whenever I want, to the extent that I can ruin my business as much as I want.  One of the funny upsides of the wrecked economy of the last few years has been that while really slow I was able to clock a lot of water time. Things have been picking up for me since last spring and I am grateful to be busy ...but I have not surfed in 2012 yet. This is the first month in a long time that I have missed all of the swell events...bah!
Post by: Wavy Gravy on February 14, 2012, 04:16:38 PM
Clean energy:
Hawaii has an 80% renewable portfolio mandate set for 2030, which means 20% fossil fuels with the balance of power generated by wind, solar, geo and wave power. Then there is smart grid (scaling power demand & supply via software) and fuel cells (collecting wind/wave power and delivering it into the grid). This industry is where the jobs are going to be for the balance of this century.

Sorry, but a mandate does not create policy...just because there is a goal doesn't mean there is the means to reach that goal (especially in Hawaii).  Also, after having worked as an engineer in Hawaii: Hawaiian bosses are very stern about when you show up to work and letting you go out and about.  Most of the people who can surf as they cando some sort of freelance or evening work; definitely not engineering.
Post by: Kyle on February 14, 2012, 09:59:12 PM
Money's post is, well, Money.

I came to NYC after graduating art school in Philly and immediately started waiting tables. Didn't surf but made a lot of art. Then found my wife. Had first child. Started doing design again. Sold some art. Taught myself web design. Still waited tables. Started skating again. Had our second child. Waited tables. Worked at ad agencies. Wife started doing real estate. Hated advertising. Started real estate. Owned my own web design co. Taught at college level (not tenured). Started surfing. Closed design co. Still taught. Still real estate. Stopped teaching. Still doing real estate. Works pretty well. I can catch most swell events via DP but don't even try to think I surf as much as Dorado.

Winding road that I would have never planned on going down but I'm thankful for it.
Post by: ArchySwashbuckle on February 15, 2012, 12:38:37 AM
Nice reading over here.  I have been in the process of starting my own LLC, as more freelance work becomes availible to me- and other part time commitments seem to get in the way- this seems to be a good option.  I am focused enough to make it happen- but I also know that the more I surf- the more other parts of my "professional" life seem to suffer.  I am still trying to teach myself I won't be able to surf every good swell, or at least not for a four hour session multiple times a week- hope I surpass that goal, but I just want to make a living first!
Post by: ez_ed on February 26, 2012, 12:38:05 PM
My 7 yr. old son tells me he wants to be a major league pitcher so he can surf every day before games and enter pro surf contests in the off-season.
Either that or drive a garbage truck.
Ya gotta have dreams.
Post by: skSURF on February 27, 2012, 03:51:22 PM
My 7 yr. old son tells me he wants to be a major league pitcher so he can surf every day before games and enter pro surf contests in the off-season.
Ya gotta have dreams.
Think that would be a contract issue.
Post by: ez_ed on March 01, 2012, 04:16:23 PM
Ya gotta have dreams.
Bet you a good agent could figure it out. haha. From what I understand George Brett did some surfing in the off-season and I'm sure plenty of the Southern California/Florida players must surf. Trevor Hoffman, the great closer for San Diego, surfed on game days.
What a great life that would be....
Post by: surfdog on March 01, 2012, 07:42:49 PM
Ya gotta have dreams.

I'm pretty sure Jered Weaver of the Angels surfs.  Don't know if there's anything in his contract about it though, but I know he gave the Angels a pretty big discount because he wanted to stay there.  He could have easily signed for over $100M/5 yrs and he signed for $85M.  Still huge money, obviously.  His quote was pretty awesome too...something along the lines of: "If $85M isn't enough to take care of my family and the generations to come, then I must be pretty stupid."
Post by: waveslider on March 01, 2012, 08:39:10 PM
Ya gotta have dreams.

I'm pretty sure Jered Weaver of the Angels surfs.  Don't know if there's anything in his contract about it though, but I know he gave the Angels a pretty big discount because he wanted to stay there.  He could have easily signed for over $100M/5 yrs and he signed for $85M.  Still huge money, obviously.  His quote was pretty awesome too...something along the lines of: "If $85M isn't enough to take care of my family and the generations to come, then I must be pretty stupid."
Not baseball but:
Basketball
Blake Griffin on the Clippers- ive seen him in the water
Hockey
Bobby Ryan on the Ducks
Rob Blake retired from the Kings and Sharks
Paul Kariya surfed during his tenure on the Ducks

All those guys surf, and im sure there are a lot of other ones too.

Post by: Kdropin on March 10, 2012, 03:59:34 PM
Ya gotta have dreams.

Cole Hamels as well.. surfing is great for baseball... strengthens the rotator cuff up..  used to surf b4 games when i was younger b4 college.. had nothing left come game time.. coach used to get pissed at me and one of my friends.. esp. him bc he was the starting pitcher
Post by: Ghost of WQ on April 13, 2012, 09:06:11 PM

Here's a few surf friendly companies

http://news.yahoo.com/netflixs-unlimited-employee-vacation-policy-why-works-143308255.html (http://news.yahoo.com/netflixs-unlimited-employee-vacation-policy-why-works-143308255.html)