NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

Special Interests - Surfing New York and New Jersey => Shaper's Shack: Surfboard Repair, Restoration and Shaping Tips => Topic started by: frroK on July 05, 2007, 04:46:18 PM

Title: ...bringin back the SHORTBOARD
Post by: frroK on July 05, 2007, 04:46:18 PM
Check out this  Quad that CJ won the surfbout on...lil video up too... siiiickk

http://teqophsurfboards.com/ (http://teqophsurfboards.com/)

(http://teqophsurfboards.com/images/cj-bill-jeepcheck.jpg)
Title: Re: ...bringin back the SHORTBOARD
Post by: frroK on July 08, 2007, 11:09:40 PM
well screw ya fvckin hippies!
Post by: PTSD on July 09, 2007, 08:38:16 AM
dam he was kind of killing it on some knee high waves. Crazy... I really should learn to surf.
Post by: frroK on July 09, 2007, 11:29:03 AM
thats what im saying!!  it is lowers though....that wave looks too easy
Post by: Harry Balzsac on July 09, 2007, 11:38:14 AM
thats what im saying!!  it is lowers though....that wave looks too easy
This is the board we were talking about on Friday night, yeah?  I'd love to hear an explanation of that tail design, both from Hobgood and from the shaper.
Post by: 1s on July 12, 2007, 06:18:05 AM
A little more info: The kids at the NSSA contest at Lowers were not using quads. A lot of them said they tried them and just weren't getting the drive they needed and weren't happy with how the quads were turning and working in general.
Post by: frroK on July 12, 2007, 09:26:33 AM
too each his own I guess...its like anything. groms are super light...  Im guessing quads would work better for guys that have a little more power in there turns...hence Nathan Fletcher...pretty much the dude that brought the quad back from the dead.    I think it would work for me...  I like a wider tail..
Post by: Harry Balzsac on July 12, 2007, 10:17:18 AM
Im guessing quads would work better for guys that have a little more power in there turns...hence Nathan Fletcher...

. . . Or Taylor Knox, who has been throwing buckets for years on various "alternative" fin configurations, including quads and bonzers.  Or Danny Fuller, who got one of the barrels of the year at Pipe this winter on a quad. 
Post by: frroK on July 12, 2007, 11:41:32 AM
bingo...
Post by: 1s on July 12, 2007, 02:07:35 PM
Yeah, Nathan Fletcher was raving about them but I think he gets boards from Stretch. He was surfing Lowers on one and ripping, really was talking up the board and seemed genuinely to like it.
Post by: MulletHopper on July 12, 2007, 03:18:56 PM
That board looks sick for small waves.  I want one.  Here is a video of Cormican surfing on a quad in Florida going mental.

http://surfermag.com/av/

Look for Flight Training School about half way down the page.
Post by: surfnli on July 13, 2007, 02:39:00 PM
i think it's the opposite...less power=better on quads...the center fin makes it harder to turn than the two rail fins...but maybe that's just me
Post by: Harry Balzsac on July 13, 2007, 02:48:42 PM
i think it's the opposite...less power=better on quads...the center fin makes it harder to turn than the two rail fins...but maybe that's just me
I dunno.  MM is a pretty powerful surfer and is sick on the quad. 
Post by: skSURF on July 13, 2007, 03:11:32 PM
Just like everything else to say quad is only one dimension now. There are so many other variables to consider when talking about quads. Its like if you said all thrusters are the same. There are also quite a few different fin configurations for the quad.
Post by: HydroGlide on July 13, 2007, 03:16:21 PM
Only quad I know is the speedialer and although I have literally heard it sizzle with speed on small days, I often don't catch the wave right and I fizzle out - it really craves and comes alive with bigger waves (so it has been very deprived around here lately).
Post by: surfnli on July 13, 2007, 05:06:23 PM

i'm not saying that you can't surf powerfully on a quad.  you can, and i'm quite sure he does.  what i'm saying is i think it's easier to surf powerfully on a quad vis-a-vis a thruster because of the lack of that central anchor.  it takes alot less to turn a quad than a thruster.
Post by: JayI on July 13, 2007, 06:31:09 PM
I agree with you.  Way easier to surf powerfully on the quad. The rail to rail transitions are easier and quicker without the center anchor with the end result being less speed loss and harder gouges. Never could really slow that Speedialer down.
Post by: three_fins_out on July 13, 2007, 08:20:12 PM
dude EVERYONE is riding a quad now...i feel so 90s on my thruster  ;D
Post by: frroK on July 13, 2007, 08:38:04 PM
That board looks sick for small waves.  I want one.  Here is a video of Cormican surfing on a quad in Florida going mental.

http://surfermag.com/av/

Look for Flight Training School about half way down the page.

thats the one I want....the lost shark quad...its a litt meatier...wider tail...sick.. 

good for small waves...but if you have a bard shaped for btter days and not meater and quad fins and that thing flys. its def not just for small waves.

btw, its about time you hippies turned this thread around...