NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => Marioville! Sports, Politics, Humor and more... => Topic started by: PTSD on August 21, 2005, 09:48:44 PM

Title: GAS
Post by: PTSD on August 21, 2005, 09:48:44 PM
Can  you believe what gas has been costing these days, what's up with that?

Title: Re: GAS
Post by: SeaCliff on August 21, 2005, 10:00:48 PM
$2.97/gal tonight on the way home. Arrggh.
Post by: Psycho on August 21, 2005, 10:15:37 PM
Mancrappin in the village area is up to $3.07, thats straight up bs!
Post by: little_nasty on August 21, 2005, 10:57:44 PM
not to get too political, but does that surprise you with an oil man in the white house?
Post by: uptown on August 22, 2005, 01:37:28 AM
man
i was hopin this would be about fartin
oh well
Post by: Mims on August 22, 2005, 04:43:19 AM
Oh, now I'm definitely looking forward to filling up my monster tank tomorrow.
Argh, indeed, SC. Argh, indeed.
Post by: Psycho on August 22, 2005, 09:06:11 AM
not to get too political, but does that surprise you with an oil man in the white house?

Good point. ;D
Post by: Sandshark on August 22, 2005, 09:18:48 AM
Mr. Berry had some very stinky GAS last night. That kinda gas don't cost a thang.
Post by: Spindrift on August 22, 2005, 10:03:07 AM
Exactly. And with the new energy bill congress just passed they gave billions in tax breaks to the oil companies at a time when they are making record profits. 

I finally get my first car I've had in 10 years. And wouldn't you know it, with gas and tolls its cheaper for me to take the train to the beach!

Post by: Jake on August 22, 2005, 10:04:30 AM
cant wait to get the bronco on the road... 8 mpg babyyyy
Post by: Some people call me Maurice on August 22, 2005, 10:11:34 AM

every time my parents complain about the gas i tell them they cant complain cause they voted for gw and its their fault  ;)
Post by: boyeee on August 22, 2005, 10:18:59 AM
yeah its a good thing my really fuel efficient 10 year old V8 SUV with a 136,000 miles on really gets me where i have to go without putting a dent in my wallet [insert sarcasm here]

Post by: skSURF on August 22, 2005, 10:23:09 AM
As much as would like to blame GW for the current problem it's not his fault. The current World Wide consumption is at an all time high. With countries like china and India growing economically and consuming more and more oil it's only going to get worse. most of OPEC is at or near maximum production so they can't help to stabilize prices.
On a side note if IRAQ was to become stable and with significant investment they could help. Which is why I think the war really happened in the first place. This trend of higher gas consumption has been going on for a while. last I heard they are producing near the capacity of the prewar limit imposed on them by the oil for food program which is like 10-20%.
Post by: little_nasty on August 22, 2005, 10:44:02 AM
i just want to point out that it's a lot more complicated than just iraq.. i mean, that's not really what i was referring to...† more along AJ's comments about the energy bill and most importantly currency and monetary policy.† I'm not gonna go into it other than to say that GW is never on the wrong side of a policy from the perspective of oil&gas.† Getting him & cheney in the WH was the best investement the industry has made in 30 years.  Do you think it's a coincidence that oil is >$60 a barrel?  Do you think it's mere chance that i bought into oil at $14 and doubled-down when GW was elected?  DO you know how many hedge funds are still long oil futures?

As an aside, I am kinda happy that oil is priced so high.  maybe it will finally make alternative energies cost competitive and force some energy spending habits to change and get some SUV guzzlers off the road..  It's a double-edged sword though, cause now there's more pressure to start exploring and drilling in new environmentally sensitive areas.  ANWR will probably be compromised this year.
Post by: Psycho on August 22, 2005, 10:52:52 AM
Yup its true. Its been discussed for so long now.
Post by: skSURF on August 22, 2005, 11:12:52 AM
I'm not trying to defend Bush just point out that this is a lot bigger then him.While I agree his policies have never been anything but oil friendly they could have hardly effected prices in such a way.
Post by: Spindrift on August 22, 2005, 11:29:54 AM
As we all know, we need to end our dependence on foreign oil. We need to make an effort to have more fuel efficient cars. The new energy bill does neither. I don't get it. OUr enemies are middle eastern terrorists. Yet we just give our enemies billions and billions of $$$ by buying their oil.

Post by: ya_bloody_wanka on August 22, 2005, 07:55:19 PM
montauk its 3$ and higher
Post by: Badfish on August 23, 2005, 12:03:10 AM
1. Compared to Europe our oil is still cheap
2. The higher price the better it is for the environment, hopefully now we'll spend our money on energy efficient cars with alternative energy sources and get away from buying Hummer Limo's and all that crap
Post by: Some people call me Maurice on August 23, 2005, 12:06:23 AM
2. The higher price the better it is for the environment, hopefully now we'll spend our money on energy efficient cars with alternative energy sources and get away from buying Hummer Limo's and all that crap

lets hope  :-\
Post by: little_nasty on August 23, 2005, 12:23:12 AM
I'm not trying to defend Bush just point out that this is a lot bigger then him.While I agree his policies have never been anything but oil friendly they could have hardly effected prices in such a way.
i hafta say that you have no idea how wrong you are.† i can state unequivocally that $20-$24 ppb can be directly attributable to bush's monetary policy/choices.† don't be so naive.
Post by: Psycho on August 23, 2005, 07:35:07 AM
I know its Directly effected by that admin, it has been for years & it will be to come. This country is so over run with policies that will directly expand the pockets of those in power based on what their expertese was and is in the government & the Oil business. Theyve been in that business long before their political careers & they became politicians to protect those companies. Its the same as the insurance & drug companies as well. These companies are corrupt to the hilt & so powerfull that no one on the planet can make it stop. America is so bamboozled that they dont say a word about paying 10 times the amount the rest of the world is for drugs & insurance. They just blindly pay out the arse, not to mention the drugs you cannot get here in America becuase the companies dont have full controll to make the $$ they want on it, so they ban it while other drugs are completely fine thjo its well known the FDA approves bad drugs, while drugs for cancer sit on a shelf for 10 years.

Oil & gas are no different. I have no dounbt that the Admin had every intension on getting a war started becuase the old adage is "war is good for the economy" but the didnt foresee the people of these countries abilities to hold their ground. Its stuck us in a situation we cannot get out of now & Ive never heard "Quagmire" mentioned so much on the radio even by republican supporters. In the end the only people effected are  you & I who do not have money invested in the right energies stocks. People who are directly making money off this war have everything invested in those areas & making bank. people are just now (who supported the war before) saying, well somethings not right but their almost affraid to say it becuase they dont want anyone saying, "I told you so" then made feel Un American by those who still support it.

Its a mess, its not getting better & the fact is, its all about Oil. get that $3.00 gas folks, & everytime your cheap gas efficient honda costs you nearly 40 bucks to fill the tank, leaving a fat wad of lint in your pocket ask youself this, Who is making all this money off me? Trickle down effect is in full effect, we're just at the bottom.
Post by: Badfish on August 23, 2005, 08:29:04 AM
we also took a secular, stable government that had 3 very different ehtnic groups that didnt like each other and turned it into what will almost certainly be a non-free country ruled by islamic law that is completly unstable due to these 3 different groups.....i'm not saying saddam was a good guy, he was and is evil, but you could legally buy a automatic gun in iraq, wear pretty much whatever you want (compared to other countries in the mid east), and alot of other things...just one thing, don't talk bad about the boss. Saddam pretty much let his people be as long as they didnt speak out against him, meanwhile we have Saudi Arabia with strict islamic law with little freedom and the place where more than 80% of the hijackers on 9-11 where from....personally i would have chosen to live in iraq without hesitation if it was between that and saudi arabia, that seems to me to imply in my own mind that iraq was more free (and stable) then other mid east countries. So why would we invade it? Well for one thing we are associates with the Saudi's, and in my mind the biggest reason, finish daddy's war. I also do not believe Saddam was as big as a threat as they made out, they said he would do anything to harm America....simply not true, Saddam had one desire which he would do anything to hold on to: stay in power...i think he realized that in order to do so he couldn't piss off america too much. Sure, he wouldnt let weapon inspectors in and push buttons with the no fly zone, but these were small little events to show the iraqi's his power thus securing his goal to stay in power....now, im not saying this guy was some nice guy you'd wanna hang out with but if it came down to having a leader that is obsessed with american culture and allows you relative freedom as long as you dont speak against him OR a religious leader that will force you to obey strict religious law as governmental policy i'll choose Saddam.
Post by: Psycho on August 23, 2005, 08:36:28 AM
I think we totally got played by the Suadi Gov. We start a war against sadam for them, we look bad, they get their oil& come out lookin like the good guys to the muslim world. I can see it like a cartoon from Disney, " We my prinnce we send suicide bomber to to Ahmereeeca, tell dem eet was dis a stupiddaa Sadam and alqueda, dey blow up 2 countries for us, dey share stolen oil everybody happy, yeeeeees. Abule, make it so!" Clap Clap!

2005 still a nightmare.
Post by: skSURF on August 23, 2005, 10:36:30 AM
If your referring to his policies towards Venezuela and worries over destabilization of the middle east. I don't think your accurate.  I would be a little more conservative with my guestimate like 10-15 ppb(which is still considerable). Rregardless of the finer points Iím not defending him or his policies. I just want people to be aware that the problem is not just with the current administration but also with global trends.

No matter what its going to get worse and the current estimates of oil reserves are completely off because, demand and production are increasing faster then predicted.
Post by: Psycho on August 23, 2005, 11:00:05 AM
That & "Globalization" is a rouge for, "get cheaper Labor, make more money." Its a global trend & countries that may not always support the USA are making a killing & building their countries economies up beyond ours & when they descide they dont want to agree with us anymore, thats when the USA will see the problems. They sold Globalization ike its the best thing to happen to the USA but it left us out in the cold. factories are closing left & right & hae been for 20 years now. It cannot stay this way or America will become the 3rd world nations we see on TV. people dont understand the future consiquences of this wheel in motion. The only People at the end of the line when things come apart that will be safe are the people who made their money off it. Its the selling out of America to make money of cheap labor.

Its remeniscent of the gangster in the movies holding the gun to one of his collegues head & says, "Nothing personal old friend, Just business." as he pulls the trigger. Thats totally Globalization.
Post by: ya_bloody_wanka on August 23, 2005, 11:04:56 AM
i heard gas company's are acting as a monopoly and buys out all the other new energy sources before they can become reconized well enough for people to buy the stuff and hte government allows it cause gas is such an important recource for them to get money.
Post by: Psycho on August 23, 2005, 12:53:54 PM
See, everything is on the up & up, theres no conspiracies, (Insert Sarcastic breathe huff & eye roll here) ::)
Post by: Psycho on August 25, 2005, 05:49:55 AM
$68.00 a barrel folks, record high. LN I hope you make a wad on GWB's tarded politricks. Good on ya bro, I wish i knew how that worked about 5 years ago. Even Pat roberts next statement after he mentioning Chavez being assasinated was something about oil being safe, seems like everyones in it but me. ;D
Post by: Mims on August 25, 2005, 06:35:07 AM
it cost me 46 bucks to fill my tank yesterday. i'm beyond answers i just want to hurt someone.
Post by: Psycho on August 25, 2005, 07:00:19 AM
I know, I have been avoiding filling mine becuase I know its gonna be round 40 beans. RRRRRRRRR!
Post by: little_nasty on August 28, 2005, 04:40:55 PM
If your referring to his policies towards Venezuela and worries over destabilization of the middle east. I don't think your accurate.† I would be a little more conservative with my guestimate like 10-15 ppb(which is still considerable). Rregardless of the finer points Iím not defending him or his policies. I just want people to be aware that the problem is not just with the current administration but also with global trends.

No matter what its going to get worse and the current estimates of oil reserves are completely off because, demand and production are increasing faster then predicted.
i'm not.. but that's okay.. we'll talk about it some other time.  but yea, the global s&d picture is what it is.

psycho - the problem with globalization is that it's completely inevitable.  Failure to respond to it (though sometimes painful) is detrimental to our economy as a whole (and i don't mean just big business).  Countries in the past that have resisted with isolationist/protectionist policies have suffered mightily in the long run.  It's just the wrong thing to do.  The big problem is that the economic cycle of globalization has been compressed well short of generational job careers making for very difficult transitions.  There are remedies and mitigating policies, but it's a tough complicated problem.
Post by: three_fins_out on August 28, 2005, 07:03:47 PM
As an aside, I am kinda happy that oil is priced so high.† maybe it will finally make alternative energies cost competitive and force some energy spending habits to change and get some SUV guzzlers off the road.

this is a great point and one that i believe to be 100% true. feel kinda sorry for those folks in the big suvs but not really. at some point the good ol U of S of A is gona have to change its priorities a bit. hopefully we'll start to see more investment in public transit and smart growth/urban renewal in addition to a push on alternative energies. 
Post by: dynamite on August 28, 2005, 09:07:04 PM
I'm glad I gave up the SUV for a V-4, 140 hp, Honda Accord...fill it up once every 7-9 days or so....still want the SUV with 4WD back though...I miss it.