NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => Main Room - General New York Surf and New Jersey Surf Discussions => Topic started by: surfdoc on October 10, 2018, 11:18:58 PM

Title: Wetsuits.
Post by: surfdoc on October 10, 2018, 11:18:58 PM
What's your thought on a Hyperflex suit? I'm looking for a 4/3. Hood or no hood?  Vyril or voodoo?. I do have a full on winter set up. Just looking for that in between suit.
Title: Re: Wetsuits.
Post by: sman on October 11, 2018, 05:43:44 AM
Canít speak about hyperflex since i've never owned one. Iíve got OíNeill mutant 4:3 and the ability to switch between hood/no hood makes it incredibly versatile.  If I was getting a suit without that option Iíd get a hooded one. I use it about 70% of the time on my mutant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: elagstein on October 11, 2018, 06:41:16 AM
I have the mutant too and love it, it's my favorite wetsuit I have.  FYI, I compare to xcel drylock, which is xcel top of the line.
Post by: nkh422 on October 11, 2018, 07:39:13 AM
I grabbed a 5/4 voodoo from a shop when I was in a pinch last year... far from home when a zipper popped off my usual 5/4.

Expectation wasnít high bc of some hyper flex boots and gloves that I had years ago, but the suit is awesome. I fixed the zipper on the other one, a much, much more expensive suit, but kept going to the voodoo as a first choice instead. Great suit, great price.

Post by: zbay03 on October 11, 2018, 12:16:32 PM
Does anyone have any other wetsuit suggestions for winter?
I am originally from SD, so I haven't quite learned the winter wetsuits..
Last year I bought a used POS 5/4 and it was impossible to paddle in.. I spoke to some guys in the water and they mentioned that they use a high end 4/3 year round and they are fine.
Any suggestions would be a huge help!
Thanks
Post by: Mayday on October 11, 2018, 01:18:46 PM
Iíve been pretty happy with my Vissla 5/4 but only one season in.

Post by: surfdoc on October 11, 2018, 01:59:53 PM
Thanks guys.
Post by: zbay03 on October 11, 2018, 02:15:09 PM
Mayday, which Vissla suit do you have? I think they have 7 Seas and North Seas..
Post by: Dave T on October 11, 2018, 02:47:05 PM
Zbay - A good 5/4 is more useful than a 4/3 IMO. Our best swells are often during/immediately after brutal storms. Xcel 5/4 infiniti is a great all around suit that is flexy, warm and not too $$. I like them better than drylocks (seem stretchier/lighter to me).
Post by: navara on October 11, 2018, 06:38:45 PM
Does anyone have any other wetsuit suggestions for winter?
I am originally from SD, so I haven't quite learned the winter wetsuits..
Last year I bought a used POS 5/4 and it was impossible to paddle in.. I spoke to some guys in the water and they mentioned that they use a high end 4/3 year round and they are fine.
Any suggestions would be a huge help!
Thanks
You can get away with using a 4/3 but i would at least layer under it with a good polypro rash guard and shorts or invest in one with a killer liner. Either way, your (dead of) winter suit should have the most tec features and i would strongly advise one with taped seams and rubber external taping as well. It will last longer and keep you warm much longer than one without. Add to that a good insulating /quick dry liner and you are golden.
 As far as 4/3 v 5/4 if you will only ever be surfing in the winter for an hour each time then 4/3 is fine... i knew a guy who surfed in a 3/2 with a hooded rash guard but wouldn't be in the water long. If you have the time to be in the water longer than an hour in the winter then 5/4. But really the flexibility and price difference between the two are negligible so why not just go 5/4?

For reference my wetsuit quiver goes like this:
Summer -2/2 short arm or board shorts/polypro rash guard or just board shorts
Late September to late October.- 3/2
Late October to early December.- 4/3
January to early March- 5/4,( just upgraded to a quicksilver highline 4.5/4 3x bonded and lined head to toe + detachable hood i can use with my 4/3)
March to mid May - back to 4/3
May to mid June.. 3/2
Having a detachable hood and insulating rash guards may negate the need for a 4/3 all together or turn your 4/3 into a 5/4... they just add versatility.
I also have. Few other suits, old ones, back ups etc. One is an O'neill mutant 4/3. It's my favorite suit even though its totally clapped out and i got it in exchange for a bar of wax and good vibes. It still doesnt leak all that much and is super comfy and versatile. If you get a 4/3 i highly recommend it or adding a stand alone hood
Boots and gloves, i got away with 3mm for both all last winter. There where definitely a few sessions i wish i went with my 7mm boots but, again getting a boot with a good liner usually means you can get away with thinner rubber. My 3mm boots are xcell drylock and they are almost as warm as my 7mm.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post by: Mayday on October 11, 2018, 07:19:47 PM
My vissla is the entry level one.  And I would honestly say I use my 4/3 for like a couple sessions but my 5/4 gets a lot of use.

Post by: zbay03 on October 11, 2018, 09:36:46 PM
Awesome guys!
Thanks so much for the tips
Post by: iagainsti on October 15, 2018, 03:02:52 PM
While we're on the subject-

Has anyone ever ordered a custom suit through 7till8 or know anyone who has? I'm tempted because I'm short and broad so wetsuits always fit me a little weird, XLS's are super tight on my shoulders sometimes and XL's have too much length. Really tempted to try the custom 5/4.

https://www.7till8.com (https://www.7till8.com)
Post by: AgentDeets on October 15, 2018, 04:51:22 PM
No idea bout Hyperflex but I got a 4/3 Mutant after moving here from south Florida.  Last winter was my first winter here and I've worn it in low 40's water temp no problem.  It's a great suit. Very warm and flexible.  First time I surfed in it I couldn't believe how dry I was. If you can only have one suit that's what I'd get. 
I also ordered a Xcel Infiniti hooded 4/3 for a steal and it was thicker and not as stretchy compared to the Mutant.  I sold it unworn.

Post by: zbay03 on October 15, 2018, 05:05:53 PM
Do your mutants have linings like fleece or wool? Or no linings?
Post by: AgentDeets on October 15, 2018, 05:15:07 PM
They just have the technobutter firewall.
Post by: navara on October 15, 2018, 08:28:13 PM
Do your mutants have linings like fleece or wool? Or no linings?
O'neill makes a killer thermal rash guard, tops and bottoms. Basically a stand alone thermal liner. I wear them under my mutant for extra warmth (mine is old with no liner). Ill also wear them under board shorts when its a lil chilly and my other suits as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post by: fulltilt720 on October 16, 2018, 10:13:01 AM
Anyone get any of the Needs Essentials suits yet?
Post by: fulltilt720 on October 16, 2018, 10:14:51 AM
Zbay - A good 5/4 is more useful than a 4/3 IMO. Our best swells are often during/immediately after brutal storms. Xcel 5/4 infiniti is a great all around suit that is flexy, warm and not too $$. I like them better than drylocks (seem stretchier/lighter to me).
Agree on the drylock, something about it is so constricting. hate my drylock 3/2.
Post by: Mayday on October 16, 2018, 10:56:08 AM
I have a need essentials 3/2.  It was cheap enough and for a 3/2 I donít need a lot of tech. Iím a large short in most suits and this fits great. Would buy again.

Post by: iagainsti on October 16, 2018, 11:21:47 AM
I have a need essentials 3/2.  It was cheap enough and for a 3/2 I donít need a lot of tech. Iím a large short in most suits and this fits great. Would buy again.

I need a new 3/2, hows the stretch on the need essentials?
Post by: Mayday on October 16, 2018, 11:37:06 AM

I actually think itís a pretty comfortable suit and easy to put on / take off.

Post by: nydubstar on October 18, 2018, 04:20:30 PM

I have 3:

L/S shorty
6/5/4 thermal quick dry
4/3 steamer chest zip

way better than anything xcel makes and price beats anything comparable
Post by: Dave T on October 19, 2018, 09:35:11 AM
any leaks on the 6/5/4? I have a 4/3 and ss full that are good, stretchy suits - but I didn't think the seams held up very well on the 4/3. Pretty bad leaks in legs/crotch.
Post by: nydubstar on October 19, 2018, 11:02:04 PM
no leaks

Post by: fulltilt720 on October 22, 2018, 02:40:52 PM
tried the seamless oneill hyperfreak 3/2 at a demo day in seaside and my god this thing is so comfortable and stretchy, way more free than even the chest zip for paddling. Sounds like they don't hold up as well, but could be worth trying to be ultra vigilant and maintenance and just replace when needed 
Post by: iagainsti on November 05, 2018, 12:10:58 AM

I actually think itís a pretty comfortable suit and easy to put on / take off.

Ordered the 3/2 back zip (I hate chest zips and avoid It til winter) and finally tried It out this morning. Felt really good, was warm and stretchy. Good pick up very psyched. Feels way better than my other suit.