NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => Main Room - General New York Surf and New Jersey Surf Discussions => Topic started by: nose_manual on March 16, 2013, 09:22:33 AM

Title: The Rockaway Dunes
Post by: nose_manual on March 16, 2013, 09:22:33 AM
Interesting.  Sorry if it's a re-post.  I had to pause a few times because it goes a bit fast, but the ideas here are solid.

The Rockaway Dunes on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/61910800)

Title: Re: The Rockaway Dunes
Post by: ArchySwashbuckle on March 16, 2013, 12:31:53 PM
Must be for the MOMA rebuild project. I really like the idea of dunes, and would love to see Rockaway a more natural place.

Title: The Rockaway Dunes
Post by: Northstreet on March 16, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
Starts out good....loses me a bit when the video says "hubris of concrete"...and then i'm done when it looks like my house will need to be removed from the public parkland...
Post by: Crackie Onassis on March 16, 2013, 03:33:05 PM
"...and then i'm done when it looks like my house will need to be removed from the public parkland...
Re-Wilded.
Post by: braden on March 16, 2013, 05:48:57 PM
"hubris of concrete"? it takes an MFA to come up with that.
Post by: Crackie Onassis on March 16, 2013, 07:07:04 PM

That or playing guitar in a Math Rock band.
Post by: nose_manual on March 16, 2013, 08:00:00 PM

That or playing guitar in a Math Rock band.

It's actually a good name for a math rock band.

Post by: Årne Longbörgenssen on March 17, 2013, 08:29:47 AM
Starts out good....loses me a bit when the video says "hubris of concrete"...and then i'm done when it looks like my house will need to be removed from the public parkland...

hubris of concrete, cousin to the arrogance of homeownership. the further we stray form nature and the natural order, the closer we come to disaster. embrace mother earth and she will embrace you back.
Post by: f_leghorn on March 17, 2013, 09:52:55 AM
screw concrete, the acoe build with crystals and gemstones
Post by: SeaCliff on March 17, 2013, 10:42:29 AM
According to information I found on the interwebs, 44% of the world's population lives in coastal areas. That's a lot of concrete hubris. (And the interwebs never lie, so it must be true.  ;) )

I liked the video. It was a nice piece of work - but it's central theme is flawed. It starts off by saying you can't stop mother nature over time, and proceeds to say that we can stop mother nature, we've just been doing it wrong. See, apparently we were doing it with concrete hubris, but what we really needed was to back up a few (or a bunch) of feet, and build with a more ecologically based sand dune and reinforced boardwalk hubris.

Now that I'm done making fun: A well seeded, functioning dune system makes sense on ANY barrier island, including ours. Hell, even as bad as Sandy was, the dunes by me came thisclose to holding. By all reports, they made it til around 10:30. Another hour or two, and the tide/storm factors would have backed off enough and the damage would have been kept to a far lesser level, at least on the ocean side. As far as building on barrier island, if there is one core lesson to be learned from Sandy, it's that requiring any new building of living spaces to be above the base flood elevation (BFE) is perhaps the most important factor for protecting property and minimizing loss from future flood events.
Post by: braden on March 17, 2013, 03:09:30 PM

hubris of concrete, cousin to the arrogance of homeownership. the further we stray form nature and the natural order, the closer we come to disaster. embrace mother earth and she will embrace you back.

yeah, except the bold part doesn't sound all that crazy to me...