NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => Main Room - General New York Surf and New Jersey Surf Discussions => Topic started by: Patches O'houlihan on August 24, 2018, 05:02:22 PM

Title: Long BEach
Post by: Patches O'houlihan on August 24, 2018, 05:02:22 PM
I haven't gotten down there in about a month thanks to work. But from what I've seen and heard the beach replenishment has so not so good aspects. From the last video I saw it looks like they have almost buried the jetties. We all know what happened to NJ areas where that was done. I remember back in the day a ton of people would get together when the army corps would try to do this type of stuff and show some opposition, often times shutting it down. From my perspective it seems like they just snuck it under the rug; though I've been so busy maybe I missed something? What happened this time? Was there any public discourse? Any other reports as to the beach replenishment effects on the surf or more updates on what they're doing?
Title: Re: Long BEach
Post by: lbmalibu on August 24, 2018, 06:02:58 PM
Excellent question! I didn't keep tabs on the project or attend any meetings due to some serious stress events in my life the last two years, but did take a look at the published plan that showed which jetties would be restored and the sand replenishment would entail extending the beach front toward the ocean while  maintaining the existing slope. They are not doing this! Sand is being filled to over and past the jetties to where the bottom drops quickly. So any swell will just result in shore break. Alot of my friends think it will take maybe 2 or 3 years to come back. I'm not that optimistic. I'm thinking it's done for a decade or more. Anybody got any data on past Army Corp projects?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Post by: sman on August 25, 2018, 05:01:41 AM
the only day we've had any sort of swell in past few weeks was pretty good (as in didn't seem like any change) in the 3 spots I went to all over town - aside from the eyesore of looking at the thing offshore didn't feel any impact (yet)
Post by: Mayday on August 25, 2018, 06:40:16 AM
the only day we've had any sort of swell in past few weeks was pretty good (as in didn't seem like any change) in the 3 spots I went to all over town - aside from the eyesore of looking at the thing offshore didn't feel any impact (yet)
That was after jetty rehab (which I agree didnít hurt any spots, actually may have helped a few) but now they are pumping tons of sand onto the beaches and building them out towards the end of the jetties. I can imagine this will kill lots of spots and make it one big shore break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: lbmalibu on August 25, 2018, 07:32:08 AM
Go back and look at Laurelton and all beaches going west then look at Pacific which they started on yesterday. They ate moving fast.

Post by: SeaCliff on August 26, 2018, 06:11:26 PM
Go back and look at Laurelton and all beaches going west then look at Pacific which they started on yesterday. They ate moving fast.

They are moving from Pacific west very rapidly - I'm guessing Lincoln will be closed and the break buried for Labor Day weekend at the current pace.
Post by: Mayday on August 26, 2018, 06:13:02 PM

They are moving from Pacific west very rapidly - I'm guessing Lincoln will be closed and the break buried for Labor Day weekend at the current pace.
Does anyone know the definitive borders as to where this project will end? Lido / EAB?

Post by: lbmalibu on August 26, 2018, 08:26:56 PM
Heard Lido opted out because they didn't want to give up the private beach status.

Post by: lbmalibu on August 26, 2018, 08:28:03 PM
I haven't confirmed it though.

Post by: SeaCliff on August 26, 2018, 08:52:58 PM

Does anyone know the definitive borders as to where this project will end? Lido / EAB?

I know this much - the west side of the project ends at the Long Beach/East Atlantic beach boarder, right after Ohio.
Post by: Dave T on August 29, 2018, 02:26:13 PM
You can watch them "work" on Lincoln on the Surfline cam. It is incredibly depressing...
Post by: Mayday on August 29, 2018, 02:29:56 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/bb8cd549e929599bdda4b6c0a306b763.png)

Post by: Mayday on August 29, 2018, 02:33:42 PM
Just now.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/d6e66a9a7085d94e209dbbb13a176bbd.png)

Post by: BltByKrmn on August 29, 2018, 02:38:19 PM
Heard Lido opted out because they didn't want to give up the private beach status.

Lido is part of ToH, it's getting the same sand pumped in once LB is done.
Post by: lbmalibu on August 29, 2018, 02:58:51 PM
The sand fill project stops going west at Ohio (according to seacliff) , so TOH East Atlantic Beach isn't included. Plus I understood Lido dunes was negotiating whether to do it or not. Lido Towers for sure has opted out. So that one bay will look like an inlet with LB and Lido west and east filled in.

Post by: BltByKrmn on August 29, 2018, 03:51:05 PM
The sand fill project stops going west at Ohio (according to seacliff) , so TOH East Atlantic Beach isn't included. Plus I understood Lido dunes was negotiating whether to do it or not. Lido Towers for sure has opted out. So that one bay will look like an inlet with LB and Lido west and east filled in.

Lido Dunes definitely owns their beach, so I can't say what they are doing.  Lido Towers sold their beach front to ToH since they could no longer afford to maintain it, same with Lido Park West.  Access to Towers and Park West is private, but the beach itself is public.
Post by: BltByKrmn on August 29, 2018, 03:57:26 PM
Here's more information on Towers, it's not a private beach issue, it's an access issue:  http://www.liherald.com/stories/concerns-over-beach-project-in-lido,105089 (http://www.liherald.com/stories/concerns-over-beach-project-in-lido,105089)

If Towers controls the access, they can keep the ACOE off the beach.
Post by: lbmalibu on August 29, 2018, 04:41:24 PM
After reading through the article I'm still missing something. If the access were speaking of is for the ACOE to run the pipe across the beach, why would any Lido Tower residents oppose it?

Post by: SurfeRoss on August 30, 2018, 12:01:52 PM
This is depressing. Wonder how long the sand will last. Hopefully things get better by the end of the season beginning of winter. Maybe it'll make some spots better? Shake things up? Trying to look on the brightside over here.
Post by: SeaCliff on August 30, 2018, 06:04:18 PM
This is depressing. Wonder how long the sand will last. Hopefully things get better by the end of the season beginning of winter. Maybe it'll make some spots better? Shake things up? Trying to look on the brightside over here.

So far in the west end, a small wave is starting to show on the west side of the jetties. Very, very little in the center of the beach or the east side of the jetties - but we're still obviously waiting on the first big storm to see how it shakes out..
Post by: Patches O'houlihan on August 31, 2018, 07:45:13 AM

Lido Dunes definitely owns their beach, so I can't say what they are doing.  Lido Towers sold their beach front to ToH since they could no longer afford to maintain it, same with Lido Park West.  Access to Towers and Park West is private, but the beach itself is public.
The beach is public everywhere below high tide line. So why should they get to decide what happens in front of their business but the public canít for their beach?
Post by: lbmalibu on September 01, 2018, 11:33:32 AM
Here's an incouraging explanation of how the army Corp Beach replenishment is expected to work. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180901/5f4b774f745c591802c5b3f0556662e8.jpg)

Post by: SeaCliff on September 01, 2018, 02:11:45 PM
Here's an incouraging explanation of how the army Corp Beach replenishment is expected to work. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180901/5f4b774f745c591802c5b3f0556662e8.jpg)

Sigh.  :-\
Post by: Patches O'houlihan on September 01, 2018, 05:56:13 PM

How itís supposed to work, thatís a hoot. Reminds me of the false propaganda PSEG puts out about how their ďtree trimmingĒ is for the health of the trees.
Post by: cod33n on September 02, 2018, 05:12:49 PM
Look Ma They Killed Lincoln Again (https://youtu.be/KXdSHCKBC7k)
Post by: NNW lite on September 03, 2018, 05:18:48 PM
Yet no plans for the bay side which floods every bit as bad as the ocean side? I heard a while back about the sea gate projects for the inlets but that seems really expensive and I haven't heard much about it in a while but then again I heard nothing about this project until it was under way either.
Post by: SeaCliff on September 04, 2018, 02:40:02 PM
Look Ma They Killed Lincoln Again (https://youtu.be/KXdSHCKBC7k)

I hardly ever venture over to Lincoln to surf, preferring to surf a somewhat smaller wave instead of dealing with the crowds....but seeing that break destroyed still broke my heart. Multiple times this year I would check it out as I rode the boardwalk, it was breaking there as well as anywhere on the boardwalk, and perhaps as well as it ever has. And now it's buried. Ugh.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Post by: eckjkee on September 13, 2018, 09:41:23 AM
Heard from a friend that the water is dirty and people are getting sick out there after the replenishment. Anyone else experiencing this?
Post by: lbmalibu on September 13, 2018, 09:51:20 AM
I've been there and Monroe for the past few days with no issue except for a nasty sewer smell on the west side of the Monroe jetty. Both tides.

Post by: BltByKrmn on September 13, 2018, 10:56:56 AM
From what I've seen on the cam, Lincoln has been absolutely firing the last few days
Post by: wolf larsen on September 13, 2018, 11:42:14 AM
Heard from a friend that the water is dirty and people are getting sick out there after the replenishment. Anyone else experiencing this?
yep, it's a turd fest. everyone post your staph infections!
Post by: waterboy on September 13, 2018, 01:44:15 PM
no side effects here , but Stinkin currently smells like a root canal.
Post by: lbmalibu on September 13, 2018, 02:04:45 PM
Actually at low tide there were alot of those what look like Grey rocks that were most likely treated sewage.

Post by: NNW lite on September 13, 2018, 10:24:52 PM
God only knows what else beyond sewage is in that sand. There was a time that the ocean was pretty much used as a garbage dump.
Post by: nydubstar on September 16, 2018, 08:53:01 PM
http://www.stay-curious.com/lumps-of-clay/ (http://www.stay-curious.com/lumps-of-clay/)

Post by: navara on September 17, 2018, 11:03:59 AM
http://www.stay-curious.com/lumps-of-clay/ (http://www.stay-curious.com/lumps-of-clay/)
Yup. Not sewage. If i dig 3 feet down on my property i find the same hard gray "rock". It actually prevents trees and vegetation from semding roots down beyond it and results in every tree in my neighborhood having a very shallow root system.
Aside from that, when sewage is treated 100% of the solids are removed, dried and carted away to be landfilled... likely in PA someplace. What is left is water which is ultimately piped out to sea.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk