NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => Main Room - General New York Surf and New Jersey Surf Discussions => Topic started by: nose_manual on April 24, 2012, 12:16:50 PM

Title: Fear and Loathing in the Lineup
Post by: nose_manual on April 24, 2012, 12:16:50 PM
I'm sure many of you have read this but I think it's worth posting:

http://www.surfersjournal.com/journal_entry/fear-and-loathing-lineup (http://www.surfersjournal.com/journal_entry/fear-and-loathing-lineup)

Sorry if this was put up before anywhere.

Title: Re: Fear and Loathing in the Lineup
Post by: snaggletooth on April 24, 2012, 12:21:09 PM
haven't gotten through the whole thing, but this part cracked me up:

"Before that, when respect was still in force, priority went to the surfer with the most sonority, the result of a voluntary act of deference by those in the water"

so the surfer who sounds most like an elephant seal gets priority...?
Title: Fear and Loathing in the Lineup
Post by: Bacon on April 24, 2012, 12:32:23 PM
Someone forgot to run spellcheck.

The rules are simple: stay out of the corner. ;-)
Post by: nose_manual on April 24, 2012, 12:34:10 PM

"Before that, when respect was still in force, priority went to the surfer with the most sonority, the result of a voluntary act of deference by those in the water"

It's worth a try.
Post by: brooklyniwa on April 24, 2012, 02:13:14 PM
chalk one up for using dolphins as a standard for humanity. oh people and their "courious" ways... endearing article though. it would have been more interesting if the writer took a spin on the meaning of haole. but he probably would have spelled it without an "a" and all the readers would have been wondering why holes can't breathe.
Post by: Patches O'houlihan on April 24, 2012, 10:33:50 PM

when i was in florida a few weeks ago some guy was sitting in the line up by himself barking and wimpering like a dog as loud as he could. i guess making elephant sounds wouldnt be too far fetched