NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => Main Room - General New York Surf and New Jersey Surf Discussions => Topic started by: mojo884109 on July 15, 2010, 08:04:58 PM

Title: dumpster divers anyone?
Post by: mojo884109 on July 15, 2010, 08:04:58 PM
Was walking by burton after work today and saw in the corner of my eye some surfboards. Went in to check it out, turns out they had a full line of merricks since may, but i never noticed them cuz I don't go down spring st that much. Anyway was looking through em and saw a nice board called the "dumpster diver". Looks like a perfect board for our type waves. Looked at reviews and it says good for the small stuff, but that "small stuff" might be our good waist to chest high perfection days.

Anyone ride one of these bad boys and has some real east coast reviews about it?
Title: Re: dumpster divers anyone?
Post by: SeaCliff on July 15, 2010, 10:06:36 PM
I've been dying try one of these out! I'm with mojo - any reviews??
Post by: EastEndWahine on July 15, 2010, 10:35:13 PM
calling boyeee......
Post by: frroK on July 16, 2010, 12:10:04 AM
Ugh... Kolohe andino.
Post by: SeaCliff on July 16, 2010, 08:01:59 AM
calling boyeee......

Is he riding one these days?

Boyyeeee! Give us the review!!
Post by: tummee on July 16, 2010, 08:27:33 AM
He posted about it in the Shaper's Shack room. Sounds like a fun board!

http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/shapers-shack-surfboard-repair-restoration-and-shaping-tips/55-x-1875-x-21-placebo-rocket-t27649.0.html (http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/shapers-shack-surfboard-repair-restoration-and-shaping-tips/55-x-1875-x-21-placebo-rocket-t27649.0.html)
Post by: Burton8219 on July 16, 2010, 01:24:50 PM
I've tried both a DD and the Sub-Scorcher a few months ago and couldn't decide which to get... Decided on getting a Sub-Scorcher and if sized right I like it better than the DD. Dane sure makes a good argument for the DD though  :P
Post by: 2serene on July 17, 2010, 02:50:46 PM
read up on both, but i think im completely sold on the shark. to me, its perfect in every way & a standard 5 fin setup??! damn.. want one now

http://surfermag.com/buyers-guide/surfboards/2010/shapers/lost/surfboards-1.htm (http://surfermag.com/buyers-guide/surfboards/2010/shapers/lost/surfboards-1.htm)
Post by: boyeee on July 17, 2010, 06:16:28 PM
the dumpster diver is one of my favorite boards ive ever had... what i like about it is that it has the float and speed of my fish but surfs like my regular shortboard so transitioning back and forth between the two is easy.   

ive tried the sub scorcher and its a great board too but i fell into a great deal for the DD and you wont be disappointed - it generates so much speed and i find myself doing turns on this thing that i would never stick on my normal board...

my dimensions: 5'9, 160lbs
my dumpster diver's dims: 5'7 x 19.75 x 2-5/16
my normal shortboard dims: 6'0 x 18.75 x 2.3
I got it used off craigslist for $350 (practically new) otherwise i would have gone even smaller because the board has so much volume. 
you'll be smiling from ear to ear with that board!!

Post by: Kdropin on July 17, 2010, 06:22:09 PM
you guys need to check out the dominator from firewire.. rode it for the first time today. quad setup.. holy shat the thing is freaking awesome.. so much speed and turns on a dime even in the relative weak waves today.. mines a 5'8x20x2 3/8.. paddles so well too caught waves with such ease.. beyond stoked  8)
Post by: Burton8219 on July 17, 2010, 07:00:36 PM
My Dims: 5'10 160
Board: 5'8 x 19.25 x 2.25

Agree with boyeee... Could have probably gone a couple inches shorter, but still very happy with the float. Board turns on a dime too!!
Post by: SeaCliff on July 27, 2010, 10:22:16 AM
I gotta try one. I really do. I have a feeling it's right up my alley.

CI just tweeted this:

C_I_Surfboards  The Dumpster Diver has turned into one of the most popular boards of all time.
Post by: onefinookas on July 27, 2010, 10:39:22 AM
im digging the gravy, thinking of having nature shapes or Faktion make me something similair in a 5'3-5'5

and seacliff dont go by Unsound, the temptation to purchase the DD will overwhelm you, I think Dave said they got 12 new ones in last week.
Post by: Kdropin on July 27, 2010, 11:16:53 AM
just take a peek seacliff  ;)
Post by: newyorkc on July 27, 2010, 11:36:46 AM
how does the DD compare to the Roberts White Diamond? trying to decide between the two...
Post by: seacow on July 27, 2010, 11:40:19 AM
word is Dane had a Roberts WD shaped for him, loved it and had CI replicate it.  I would go for the WD as i prefer to not support Burton/CI but thats just personal opinion. 

Newyorkc if you are thinking of ordering a WD pm me
Post by: Kdropin on July 27, 2010, 11:47:28 AM
the white diamond is a diamond tail. dumster is a squash/square.. you can get a dump truck too which is a wd with a squash.. there's a ton of info on other forums about the two boards also.. seacow all shapers seem to replicate others shapes and ideas and put maybe their little spin on it.. it pretty normal from what i've seen
Post by: Kdropin on July 27, 2010, 11:49:40 AM
manbearpig had a box going don't know if he put the order in if thats the way u want to go.. wd supposedly are taking months to get though. i looked into it b4 i went with my firewire
Post by: newyorkc on July 27, 2010, 11:56:40 AM
i prefer to not support CI as well, though I do hear that WDs are taking forever for a custom. Im pretty sure I found a store in CA that has WDs in stock and will ship them. Just gotta find one in my dims.

Roberts suggested: 5'6 x 19 3/8 x 2 3/8. seems really short, but i hear these boards pack a ton of foam.
Post by: MulletHopper on July 27, 2010, 12:31:42 PM
I bought the DD a few weeks ago and absolutely love it in the small stuff.  I surfed it in a punchy beach break and wished I had my regular board, but in knee to chest+ mush it works really good.
I'm 5'10 165lbs and ride a 5'7x19.?x2 3/8.  The board has plenty of float and paddles well.
Post by: Kdropin on July 27, 2010, 05:51:06 PM
mark at faktion is making a dumster diver board now.  diver down
Post by: SeaCliff on July 27, 2010, 06:09:04 PM

and seacliff dont go by Unsound, the temptation to purchase the DD will overwhelm you, I think Dave said they got 12 new ones in last week.

Really......

Hmmmm.

8)
Post by: boyeee on July 27, 2010, 07:53:49 PM
the most fun you'll have on two feet them there dumpster divers!!  5-0 or nothing bro
Post by: seacow on July 27, 2010, 08:42:15 PM
thats awesome to hear about faktion.  I wanted to try a "dump truck" / DD but would be happy to support local. 
Post by: SeaCliff on July 27, 2010, 09:40:42 PM
Stopped by unsOund - pulled the trigger.  ;D

(http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=8758)

(http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=8757)

(http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=8756)

(http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=8755)

Much thanks to young John for the advice on the board (and recommending the flat tailpad - I'll let you know how it works out for me, John!) and Vic for all the assistance, and of course to Dave Juan, who continues to demonstrate why unsOund is the go-to shop in the area!

There's a nice selection still there, a 5'6 or two, another 5'7, a couple of 5'8's and a few larger....get there and snap yours up!

;D ;D ;D
Post by: JayI on July 27, 2010, 10:12:08 PM
Damn SC! Thats small for you no? That would be perfect for me  ;)

Please give a report after a few sessions
Post by: SeaCliff on July 27, 2010, 10:36:15 PM
Damn SC! Thats small for you no? That would be perfect for me  ;)

Please give a report after a few sessions

I most definitely will!

At 5'7, it's def as small as I've ever gone - but although short, it's def got plenty of volume and not a ton of rocker - so I'm actually expecting it to paddle well and be more than fine for me.

To me, it's more than time to break out of the RNF fish rut I've been in - I've spent nearly every shortboardable session in the past several months on one of the 6'0" round nose fishes in my quiver - and this looks like just the thing to snap me out of it.

Also...I've got my eye on the prize: There's very little chance I could actually win Looseness's Old Guy/Girl Air Challenge, but if I was ever to do it, it would be on this board, and not on a big ol' fat fish.  ;D
Post by: Kdropin on July 28, 2010, 12:27:34 AM
sick board! you'll love it. board packs foam for sure. hope for that early wind switch  8)
Post by: boyeee on July 28, 2010, 02:23:32 AM
good choice!!! i have the same exact one... although it could be the photo but that one looks like the tail is more pulled in than mine but i doubt they are any different... you are stoked!!!

Post by: Northstreet on July 28, 2010, 09:57:17 AM
nice....i want one!
Post by: onefinookas on July 28, 2010, 10:05:05 AM
wow, i didnt see that one coming ;)
Post by: The Lone Surfer on July 28, 2010, 10:45:07 AM
congrats SC. looks like it would ride much more back-footed than an RNF, so should be a good change of pace for you.
Post by: SeaCliff on July 28, 2010, 10:46:39 AM
wow, i didnt see that one coming ;)

LOL...yeah...it's your fault, you bastard.  ;D
Post by: EastEndWahine on July 28, 2010, 12:20:51 PM
Carp...this thread is going to part me from my money.  I'd love to get a Faktion but dunno if he could turn one around for me in a month.

Boyeee - what's your verdict between the Muhl and Dumpster Diver?

Sun Diego has a 5'4 DD that would be perfect for me.  (I know...Sun Diego?  wtf)

It's been over a year...I've got the new board itch...
Post by: snaggletooth on July 28, 2010, 01:44:31 PM
awesome SC!!! i am jealous! sick board
Post by: Wave Dancer on July 28, 2010, 02:35:57 PM
Looks Like It Will Be Allot Of Fun To Ride That Board S.C.
I Bought A Skinny Fish 5'10'' Last Month So Much Fun
Post by: onefinookas on July 28, 2010, 02:54:51 PM

damn you seacliff, see what you started, snaggletooth you better stay away from that damn surf shop.  you hear me, no soup for you, you got enough on your plate!!!
 :o ;) ;) ;) ;)

Post by: Dorado on July 28, 2010, 04:17:41 PM
looks really fun
Post by: SeaCliff on July 28, 2010, 04:40:13 PM

damn you seacliff, see what you started, snaggletooth you better stay away from that damn surf shop.  you hear me, no soup for you, you got enough on your plate!!!
 :o ;) ;) ;) ;)

ME??!!??!!?? YOU!  You're the one who tipped me off that unsOund had 'em in stock! Now Mrs. Cliff read this thread, and she wants to know what she's getting since I just got a new board!  ::)

Seriously - anyone interested, I wouldn't waste any time - get over to unsOund now before they're gone! Or at least call over to Dave and Mike (or Vic or John or Blake or whoever answers the phone LOL), ask what they've got left, and get them to hold one aside for you!
Post by: newyorkc on July 28, 2010, 05:40:28 PM
i kinda want one now. i hate all of you.
Post by: SeaCliff on July 28, 2010, 06:58:52 PM
i kinda want one now. i hate all of you.

There's a fine line between hate and having a new board.  ::)

Your dumpster diver is calling, newyorkc - get over to unsOund!  ;D 
Post by: ya_bloody_wanka on July 28, 2010, 07:10:37 PM
Newyorkc, I def recomend the wd my new one should be coming in a couple days along with a shortboard. Robert knows what's up with sizing, it may seem too shrt but they hide some foam, get what he suGgests because everyone that decides to go longer seem to wish they had gone shorter, you can take a look at mine anytime, I have a 5'5 19 1/8 2 and the new one is same but 2 1/8 both epoxy. Its DEfINAtLY worth the wait, it'll be quicker then getting a board from a lot of shapers, def quicker then a merrick custom. Mine took about 2 months, but the diamnond was added a couple weeks ago with the shortboard because robert is replacing my old one, for free. Easily my favorite board and robert and everyone over there are amazing. All 3 baords I got so far from them robert hooked me up.

The wd will def have a diffrent feel woth the release point farthe back from the diamond tail but with a rail line more like a board 1 1/2 inches shorter then what the length is. So a 5'6 has the same rail length as a 5'4 basically. Don't let that deter you though cause they hide a lot of foam, if you go epoxy too that will add some float. Really fast and loose with a huge sweet spot.
Post by: boyeee on July 28, 2010, 07:34:04 PM
Carp...this thread is going to part me from my money.  I'd love to get a Faktion but dunno if he could turn one around for me in a month.

Boyeee - what's your verdict between the Muhl and Dumpster Diver?

Sun Diego has a 5'4 DD that would be perfect for me.  (I know...Sun Diego?  wtf)

It's been over a year...I've got the new board itch...

i'll be honest, i probably wont be surfing the muhl for a long time because of this board... the 5'4 will be perfect for you!
Post by: SeaCliff on August 06, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
Well, that was fun while it lasted. First wave? Buckled it.  ::)
Post by: Dorado on August 06, 2010, 07:03:15 AM
you are kidding right ?
Post by: SeaCliff on August 06, 2010, 07:30:50 AM
you are kidding right ?

Yeah. Technically, it was the second wave. The first was a short closeout.   ::) ::)

I got out of the water, put the board on the bike rack, and rode straight over to Larry the repair guy here in town - who by chance just happened to walk out of his house as I rode up. It'll be fixed and back in the water in no time, hopefully no worse for the wear. Because as crazy as this sounds, even in the 67 seconds I was in the water with it, I could tell I really liked it.

Sigh.

Oh well. Sucks...but it's better than stitches.  ::)
Post by: EastEndWahine on August 06, 2010, 10:03:06 AM
What!?  Oh NO!  :( Sorry to hear that.  What did you do, a floater or land in the flats or something?
Post by: CESAR on August 06, 2010, 10:04:25 AM
seriously...........I hope your kidding.
Post by: CESAR on August 06, 2010, 10:06:31 AM
That is sooooooo weak.  SC b/w the Black Beauty and this thing.......one can't help but wonder the quality of craftmanship on these CI's......(although that wave u busted the beauty on looked like a BOMB).
Post by: SeaCliff on August 06, 2010, 11:56:53 AM

What!?  Oh NO!  :( Sorry to hear that.  What did you do, a floater or land in the flats or something?

Uhh....yeah. Let's go with that. ::) (The reality? It was much less graceful than that - got pitched on a pretty innocuous, relatively inconsequential  wave, landed awkwardly on the deck. Just one of those dumb things).

That is sooooooo weak.  SC b/w the Black Beauty and this thing.......one can't help but wonder the quality of craftmanship on these CI's......(although that wave u busted the beauty on looked like a BOMB).

I hear ya, Cesar - but I have to be fair: the Black Beauty got taken out by a bomb on easily the heaviest day of the winter, and perhaps the heaviest day that I've been out in in the past 3 years; and the DumpsterDiver got injured purely due to "operator error" - wasnt the fault of the board at all. As a whole, opinions of Merrick business-wise aside, the quality of the boards is, in my estimation, very, very good.

Now that the initial trauma is over and I've had a chance to review the damage, it doesnt appear as bad as my initial assessment - hopefully it's going to be a pretty straightforward (albeit ugly) repai, but the board itself should be just fine going forward, I think.
Post by: UNCLE!! on August 06, 2010, 12:51:07 PM
Sheesh! I did get a bit more done on your BB. Sorry that's taking so long, but it's looking sweet. Hoping to get some more done Maybe Sunday. And as for the Quality, the Black Beauty seemed like a pretty heavy-duty board. No match, however, for our Mr. Seacliff!!
Post by: SeaCliff on August 06, 2010, 02:22:31 PM
Sheesh! I did get a bit more done on your BB. Sorry that's taking so long, but it's looking sweet. Hoping to get some more done Maybe Sunday. And as for the Quality, the Black Beauty seemed like a pretty heavy-duty board. No match, however, for our Mr. Seacliff!!

Hahahhahahhaa...yeah, when I walk into surfshops, boards quiver in my presence, for fear I will buy them and take them to their death!  ::) ::)

No worries on the time, Uncle!, I'm in no rush, I'm just flat out thrilled that she's being repaired! Let me know what kind of beer you like - a case of your favorite is on the way. Still looking forward to stopping by soon to check out how the repair looks....maybe sometime this weekend or next!
Post by: The Lone Surfer on August 06, 2010, 02:46:20 PM
Sorry to hear that. You are amazing. On the positive side, it's only a board. Easily replaced or fixed.
Post by: UNCLE!! on August 06, 2010, 04:02:57 PM
Red Stripe and some limes please. I'll be around the compound all weekend. Come check her out. She's getting there...
Post by: Jack Crank on August 09, 2010, 12:26:47 PM
Damn SC, bummed to hear about the misfortune!

Tried out a 6'0" epoxy DD (I'm 6'0"x175) this weekend at the CI demo day.  Lots of fun even on tiny closeouts.  Now I really wanna try out a Frocket.  I think i'd go a little shorter though.
Post by: boyeee on August 09, 2010, 04:43:53 PM
dont be affraid to go really short on the DD.... mine is 5'7 and i could easily go shorter
Post by: SeaCliff on August 09, 2010, 04:56:01 PM
dont be affraid to go really short on the DD.... mine is 5'7 and i could easily go shorter

Even with my limited time, I can tell this is totally true. At 5'7" It's 5" shorter than what I normally ride, and I wasnt uncomfortable in the least. Grom got a 5'6" this weekend and totally loves it - he normally rides boards anywhere from 5'9 to 5'11.

Can't wait to get mine back, it should be ready by midweek (in time for it to go flat.  ::) )
Post by: EastEndWahine on August 09, 2010, 10:38:39 PM
Ok - 5'4 or 5'6???  I've got two options.  The 5'4 is 19 wide and 2 1/8 thick.  The 5'6" is 19 1/4 and 2 1/4.  The 5'6 seems slightly too big, but I'm worried the 5'4 is slightly too small.  I don't even think they make a 5'5 unless it's custom.  I love my 5'5 quad biscuitish board, but it has a LOT of foam.  I'm like 125 in a wetsuit I guess.  Any suggestions?
Post by: boyeee on August 10, 2010, 01:22:21 AM
5'5! no question
Post by: DukeStorm on August 10, 2010, 07:47:53 AM

Even with my limited time, I can tell this is totally true. At 5'7" It's 5" shorter than what I normally ride, and I wasnt uncomfortable in the least. Grom got a 5'6" this weekend and totally loves it - he normally rides boards anywhere from 5'9 to 5'11.

Can't wait to get mine back, it should be ready by midweek (in time for it to go flat.  ::) )

Anytime you get a buckle or delam or significantly damage a new board it does make you wonder if it cured long enough or properly? You would think that a CI coming from CA would have enough cure time just in shipping alone? I had a cannibal that delamed a couple weeks right after purchasing..that still makes me wonder. Granted, it was my fault as well, but still ...
Post by: EastEndWahine on August 10, 2010, 09:25:54 AM
5'5! no question

Do you mean 5'4 or get a custom 5'5"?  I don't think I have the patience for a custom haha
Post by: boyeee on August 10, 2010, 10:52:08 AM
sorry i meant 5'4