NYNJSurf.com Forums - Surfing NY NJ! New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Message Board Community Forums

General New Jersey Surf and New York Surf Discussion Forums => Main Room - General New York Surf and New Jersey Surf Discussions => Topic started by: 3rdperson on January 02, 2014, 01:53:22 PM

Title: 6/5/4?
Post by: 3rdperson on January 02, 2014, 01:53:22 PM
Does anyone go all the way to a 6/5/4 throughout the year? I'm wearing a 4/3 pyrotech now and I'm actually still comfortable. I know in the next few weeks it will get colder and I should probably go to something thicker. I was going to go one up and get the pyrotech 5.5/4. Would that get me through till spring? It's my first winter and I'd like to avoid buying 2 more suits....

Also, if anyone similar in size to me (5'10.5/ 195lbs) is using any other brands and have suggestions... all input is welcomed!

Thanks
Title: Re: 6/5/4?
Post by: flexdecker41 on January 02, 2014, 02:03:31 PM
Been using the 6/5/4 for a few years now after having a 4/3 for quite a while. I tried on a lot of suits and did a bunch of research and the one I went with is the Quiksilver cypher, super comfortable and stretchy.. that thing is super warm usually get tired before i get cold, great for keeping the wind from getting at you cause it has a biofleece layer that is awesome.. you can surf blizzards in it, worth it.
Post by: CBTS on January 02, 2014, 02:06:22 PM
Well, first I think you need to ask yourself if you're going to continue surfing in the winter going forward. If yes, you should buy a thicker suit.

I'd go with an Xcel 5/4/3 hooded drylock. I think it's an Infinity series. I've had it since January '09 you think I'd know by now. It's toasty warm despite being a little restrictive, and has been extremely durable with the exception of some slight touch-ups.

I have a spring suit, 3/2, 4/3, and the eskimo suit, and it's my opinion that it's worth the money to have a full wardrobe this way each suit will last you longer. Plus, you're in the Northeast, so you really have to have all of those  :(

Also, make sure you wash your thicker suits with wetsuit shampoo once in a while!! And always rinse them off with fresh water when your session is over. It goes a long way. No one wants to keep shelling out hundreds of dollars for new drysuits.
Post by: nose_manual on January 02, 2014, 02:09:17 PM
xcel drylock 5/4. 
Post by: Looseness on January 02, 2014, 02:22:46 PM
How long do you surf that you are still comfortable in a 4mil suit?
Just how comfortable are you? I'm really curious since I would be shivering in a 4 mil suit within 30 minutes if that.

My answer to your question is an agreement with others on the 5/4 Xcel Drylock. Though I also have a 6/5 Infinity just in case water goes into the 30s which it looks like it might this year. But fit is everything so try suits on.

Post by: SeaCliff on January 02, 2014, 02:24:18 PM
I've got an Xcel Infiniti 6/5/4 but I rarely use it, except on the coldest of cold days....and even at that, a decent 5/4 is good enough these days.
Post by: 3rdperson on January 02, 2014, 02:37:05 PM
How long do you surf that you are still comfortable in a 4mil suit?
Just how comfortable are you? I'm really curious since I would be shivering in a 4 mil suit within 30 minutes if that.

My answer to your question is an agreement with others on the 5/4 Xcel Drylock. Though I also have a 6/5 Infinity just in case water goes into the 30s which it looks like it might this year. But fit is everything so try suits on.

I usually surf just about 2 hours at a clip and I haven't had to leave because of the cold. It's usually because my arms are destroyed..lol. I use oneill 7 mill boots and flashbomb 5 mil gloves with a seperate hood.
Post by: 3rdperson on January 02, 2014, 02:38:20 PM
I've got an Xcel Infiniti 6/5/4 but I rarely use it, except on the coldest of cold days....and even at that, a decent 5/4 is good enough these days.

That's kinda what I thought. Maybe the 5.5/4 pyrotech will do it.
Post by: 3rdperson on January 02, 2014, 02:39:21 PM

That's kinda what I thought. Maybe the 5.5/4 pyrotech will do it.

Although everyone seems to swear by the drylock.
Post by: nose_manual on January 02, 2014, 02:46:35 PM
If it's really cold, consider a really tight-fitting merino wool layer under the drylock and you're good. 
Post by: uncutproducts on January 02, 2014, 04:29:12 PM
i think it's mostly the person. i've got good circulation so can get through the coldest session in a really old and crappy 5/4. only switched from my 3/2 in december. that said, i'd love a new 5/4. mine leaks and lost all its' stretch. highly recco spending more than you can afford and getting the best suit/gloves/boots possible. 
Post by: cesto on January 02, 2014, 04:48:55 PM
If it's really cold, consider a really tight-fitting merino wool layer under the drylock and you're good. 

this sounds interesting.  what thickness do you recommend? i'd like to try this under my drylock.  i was freezing with the wind a during the last big swell
Post by: damian on January 02, 2014, 04:51:24 PM
I think a 6/5/4 sounds good if it's going to be in the low teens with 20mph+ winds.  Hypothetically speaking of course. 
Post by: CJsurf on January 02, 2014, 05:40:34 PM
I use a Rip Curl 5.5 x 4.5 this time of year and am toasty in anything NJ can throw at us.  New 7mm boots and 5mm lobster claws makes a big difference as well.  Nothing will make you colder quicker than worn out boots or leaky gloves......

My 4/3 took me into mid December this year with good boots and gloves.......so long as the sun is out.  By this weekend the water should be below 40.
Post by: nydubstar on January 02, 2014, 09:14:51 PM
"I know in the next few weeks it will get colder"

I don't see how anyone could have been comfortable for any length of time on monday with a 4/3...
Post by: handy on January 02, 2014, 10:14:27 PM
Xce x-zip2 6.5.4. Almost 5 years old, maybe older. Lots of repairs, but still keeps me warm in spite of the leaks. If you plan on heading north to MA, NH, or ME, the extra rubber is worth it's weight.
Post by: nose_manual on January 02, 2014, 10:20:41 PM

this sounds interesting.  what thickness do you recommend? i'd like to try this under my drylock.  i was freezing with the wind a during the last big swell

This:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75182 (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75182)

Buy it a size or two too small.  Smartwool makes a version too that's really nice, but twice the cost.  It's tricky getting it on under your suit but it works well, particularly with a drylock suit.  Merino wool is warm even when wet and it wicks moisture.  Good stuff.  I've seen mixed reviews on its use with wetsuits, and the stuff Patagonia uses has a weave that also traps air, but if you have a drylock suit that's in decent shape, it should work well for extra warmth.  I've also just layered with a 2mm vest under my leaky 5/4, which is bulky but because there aren't sleeves, doesn't really restrict movement too much.  Good for really windy days.

Post by: 3rdperson on January 03, 2014, 10:07:32 AM

I don't see how anyone could have been comfortable for any length of time on monday with a 4/3...

I will most definitely be out saturday with my 4/3 as I haven't bought another suit yet. I think a big part of why it's still comfortable for me so far is my fitness level. I've only been surfing since May. I do go to the gym 4 days a week and I've changed my routine over the last few months to include exercises to strengthen muscle groups used for paddling, but I still can't go for much longer than 2 hours before my arms and shoulders are jelly. So being that it's probably more of a workout for me than it would be for someone who has been surfing for years, maybe I keep a higher body temp?
Post by: cesto on January 03, 2014, 11:54:32 AM

I will most definitely be out saturday with my 4/3 as I haven't bought another suit yet. I think a big part of why it's still comfortable for me so far is my fitness level. I've only been surfing since May. I do go to the gym 4 days a week and I've changed my routine over the last few months to include exercises to strengthen muscle groups used for paddling, but I still can't go for much longer than 2 hours before my arms and shoulders are jelly. So being that it's probably more of a workout for me than it would be for someone who has been surfing for years, maybe I keep a higher body temp?

if fitness level was a factor, i'd be out in my spring suit now.
Post by: Mayday on January 03, 2014, 12:34:44 PM
Anyone out there right now in this frigid ness. Air is so cold but waves look decent in LB.
Post by: jonnyslasher on January 03, 2014, 12:45:12 PM
Anyone out there right now in this frigid ness. Air is so cold but waves look decent in LB.

Counted 9 people on the cam at NS3. Respect ... below 0 windchill is my limit. Waves look pretty fun, though.  :-\
Post by: 3rdperson on January 03, 2014, 01:38:07 PM

if fitness level was a factor, i'd be out in my spring suit now.

hahaha