Author Topic: Fast waves require an aggressive approach.  (Read 568 times)

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.8 Firefox 3.0.8
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Fast waves require an aggressive approach.
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:59:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Nothing like stating the obvious, right?

A nice handful of today's waves gave me a not so subtle reminder - when the waves have some punch and speed to them, I have to remember to change my approach and be faster and more agile on takeoff. In short - get in position and aggressively attack. It was either get up and on it, or it will get up and on me with disastrous results.

Here's the overall problem: We play slow pitch softball around here so often that it's easy to get lulled into taking your time getting up and on a wave..at least for me. The first three waves I went for today all spanked me good and gave me a nice little wakeup call. I shook it off, stepped it up, and had a much better session later. But today was not a day for being slow and taking your time, at least where I was...and that's a good thing...I like when the waves challenge me to try and be better....

Today also was not a kind day to shoulder hoppers - a lot of the waves gathered a nice head of steam from the break point at the peak, anyone trying to pick it up further down the line was either really fast, lucky, or got eaten up pretty good. Def a day to get out and get on the wave early and at the peak, thats for sure.

Now what I want is about a dozen more days like this to close out April. ;D

Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline ankleslapper

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.5.6 Mac OS X 10.5.6
    • Browser:
    • Safari 3.2.1 Safari 3.2.1
      • View Profile
    Re: Fast waves require an aggressive approach.
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i was reminded of that last July surfing Jerz on a decent swell/no-mess beach break.  i've gotten lazy getting to my feet (i'm admittedly worse in winter wrapped in swaddling clothes and on a longboard).  when I switch it up or have to hurry it up, i'm quickly reminded the lackadaisical approach won't cut it.  it's one thing I miss from my earliest beginner days -- i used to pop up explosive/lightning fast like my life depended on it.  good reminder to put that back into practice for when you need to call upon that muscle memory.  your point rings true for me.
    the A is a small price to pay

Offline EastEndWahine

• Wahine
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 16
    • Soft hated: 0
    • go ahead, go shred
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.8 Firefox 3.0.8
      • View Profile
      • the surfing handbook
    Re: Fast waves require an aggressive approach.
    « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah you definitely have to focus on being tight and precise in your motions...it takes a little extra will power and determination, especially if you've been surfing smaller/slower waves for a few sessions prior.  Sometimes I get lulled into being lazy and then get my butt kicked / go over the falls haha.
    "Once you have flown, you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."  da Vinci