Author Topic: what is a cheater five  (Read 1917 times)

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 322
  • Soft hated: 12
    • View Profile
    • Email
what is a cheater five
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:26:32 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • also known as a strautch or stretch five after paul strautch it is a a crouched or tucked hang five, many times done as away to speed through a section for curl or to outrun some bumps.  Some photo examples and better explanations.

Eddie on the nose "Cheater Five"   

cheater five 1962

Cheater five - five toes on the nose - keep your weight back on the board to maintain trim and speed, squat down and extend one foot forward

Paul Strauch Five – aka The Cheater 5

“His signature maneuver,” wrote his friend Fred Hemmings, “was to squat low on his board and stretch his left leg straight out in front of his body.  That maneuver came to be known as the ‘Strauch stretch,’ also called a ‘cheater five.’  Paul did this on 12-foot waves at Sunset.  Think about it – it’s not easy to do on a big wave.” 
    Asked about what became known at the “Paul Strauch Five” or “Cheater 5,”and whether or not he was the first to come up with it, Strauch said, “I guess so; I’m not sure.  It was similar to what I was saying about the bottom turn.  We were riding boards that were about 11 feet long.  They were heavy, at least 40 to 60 pounds, and very bulky and straight, very little tail lift or nose rocker.  If you made the bottom turn on a larger wave, then you had the objective of making the wave.  At Sunset, for instance, or at Laniakea the initial takeoff is important, but you’ve got a line to make too.  To be able to trim a board at maximum speed and make the wave is critical.  So, walking up to the front of the board and crouching kept the board in trim to a point, but you could also slow the board down if you started rushing it.  In the late ‘50s, I had a 9’8” Yater.  It had a wide tailblock and you could make a turn, but if the wave was over 10 feet, it would really slow down and become rally shaky.  So you could make the turn and level it off, and it could become very stable if you got up there.” 

Asked how big of a wave he pulled the Paul Strauch Five on, he replied, “Probably at Sunset, maybe 12 to 15.  Nothing much bigger than that.” 

"paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • Soft hated: 0
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    Re: what is a cheater five
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • sick, great post.

elkisthebastard

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Indeed.  Informative on a few different levels.

Great shot.
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 03:35:13 PM by elkisthebastard, OG »

Offline Crackie Onassis

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 206
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Are you down with the people?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Where's that photo of BB when you need it!
    I'd say that one qualifies.
    So heavy you can't even pick it up.

jscottk

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• Soon to be cheater five (on a hollow, kevlar, 8 foot, small fin, thing a ma jig, thus breaking every rule one could think up about what works)

The toes aint there so it dont count, fun yes, but not quite five..

Same thing, I humbley use myself as an example in these as not cheater fives..

Now its not to say I did not get some that day, and yes some nose rides of sorts but these are examples of "No it dont really count for five"
    By the way I also dont count it if you dont back peddle back into position to turn and trim..

Offline Tupi Cabrera

• Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • good responses to the cheater 5, ive been educated, the strauch stretch aka the cheater 5. Interesante! Just in case, im co producing the 3rd annual longboard festival at Jobos beach , PR. We are dedicating it to Joaco Velilla who dissapeared last january 2007 surfing Pipeline on a rising swell. For info check www.playero.com , its under festival de tabla larga.
                                                                           see ya in da wata
                                                                                             Tupi

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 11:23:16 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Now its not to say I did not get some that day, and yes some nose rides of sorts but these are examples of "No it dont really count for five"
    By the way I also dont count it if you dont back peddle back into position to turn and trim..

that is not a cheater five thats almost a noseride or almost a hang five.  The cheater five is all in the low crouch all your weight on your back foot with your front leg extended toes on the nose.  The cheater part is if your flexible you could do a split and thus all your weight is four feet from the nose but your still hanging five, cheaters.
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

jscottk

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • learn sump'in new every day..

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Damn...I have so much to learn...

;D

Great thread....

(Love this sport.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D )
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Stretching for it...I remember this ride well, toes never quite got off the tip - in retrospect and after reading this post, damn, I shoulda been in a crouch..I would have gotten there!! (And it would have looked SOO much better!!) Of course, at that point I had pumped my way and was riding a surprising bit of reform building into a fairly impressive bit of shorebreak  - which then promptly buried me, so I never walked back and therefore it didnt count anyway.  ;)
    But not a bad ride for a guy on a 6'0" RNF.  (btw- does my that shot make my butt look fat?  ::) ::) ::))

Much thanks to David Quinn for the shot, not that it's impressive surfing or an impressive wave in the pic itself, but it was one helluva fun ride and a really fun day overall - ahhh...memories.  ;D ;D
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 06:11:09 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Considering that your on a 6'0 my bro, not too shabby! ;D I Love a good cheater 5, Since the ole Hangin 10 thing isnt so easy round these parts & often turns more into a hang forehead plant on our mushy lil summertime ew. ;) Tho in Cali I did very well & like I said in another post, Im very impressed with what we all pull off here considering how different the waves are. There cheater 5's seemed easy & 10's werent far behind. Just a different animal for sure. If you get something here, Your better then ya think probabaly, ya just work with what ya got.

R0ck on NY!