Author Topic: Rock Lifeguard suspended for listening to iPod on duty?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline PSYCHO

• SFSC
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 25
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Just add water
  • Mac OS X 10.4.11 Mac OS X 10.4.11
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
    • View Profile
    • Earthmovers
Re: Rock Lifeguard suspended for listening to iPod on duty?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:30 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • At the Bikini contest, the LG's were saying he was fired.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 10:26:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I know the timing of it resulted in possibly harsher than usual treatment - but call me old school, I have no sympathy. On duty is on duty - 1000 people on the beach or a deserted beach, doesnt matter. The rules for an on duty lifeguard aren't there to be interpreted or enforced based on the situation, the weather or any other outside factor - much to the contrary and for the greater good and safety of all - the rules are there to be followed, period.

At the Bikini contest, the LG's were saying he was fired.

Sad, but I def understand and I guess was deemed necessary for him to walk the plank as an example - to make sure that everyone gets the message.  :-\
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 283
    • Soft hated: 24
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.13 Firefox 3.0.13
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 10:51:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I heard the lifeguards named was Billy Budd .taking ones duty seriously in a position of responsibility is paramount in the Emergency Services , making an example of one person especially through the tabloids is as irresponsible . I feel bad for this kid , did he make a mistake , yes , did he break rules yes , was he responsible for anyone drowning that day NO .

THe post cones after cops , and fireman all the time to sell papers . They are as bad as the National Inquirer .

I am a company level officer in my job and ultimately when one of my guys screw Up I look to take the blame because it is my job to supervise them . That is  why I make more money and get treated with more respect . IN turn I look to step up and take the heat for my MEN . Yhis kid effed up big time and I assume he was told by his superiors to be on his toes the day afer a drowning . Still in my opinion if you are going to fire the entry level guy you better take a bite out of his bosses as well otherwise  no one gets fired .

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Windows XP Windows XP
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.13 Firefox 3.0.13
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Rules are rules so no one better be blogging on the internet at your desk jobs on Company time , because I'm sure you all the desk jockeys love the IT people who sensor there email and internet surfing . While this is not a life or death scenario ...... rules are rules

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.5.2 Firefox 3.5.2
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Rules are rules so no one better be blogging on the internet at your desk jobs on Company time , because I'm sure you all the desk jockeys love the IT people who sensor there email and internet surfing . While this is not a life or death scenario ...... rules are rules

You know how much respect I have for you, Dorado, but I couldnt disagree more - there's a difference. Healthcare workers, emergency services workers, fire, police and anyone charged with the responsibility of public safety, including lifeguards, will always be held to a higher standard - and I dont have any problem with that whatsoever. For instance, a member of my administrative staff that is charged with a crime *might* not lose their job, but a member of my professional staff most certainly will, and they'd lose it immediately. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not - but it is the reality.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 06:58:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Good point ..... As a former Nyc rockaway lifeguard firing is not the usual punishment for this offense especially with no one in the water . The kid was wrong in my day you would get one man towers for a couple of days for something lime this . I agree with younand the higher standard of emergency service workers . But as a union man I think they dropped the ball on this and let the ny post run his job not the administration . He is a kid after all . I just hope they let him resign not actually fire him in case say o e day when he is a little older and more mature wa ts to be a cop or a fireman he might not be able to get a job be ause of the expulsion . My point is I don't think the punishmEnt fit he crime really

Offline donkey punch

• SFSC
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Windows Vista Windows Vista
    • Browser:
    • Internet Explorer 8.0 Internet Explorer 8.0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - arb454
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Suspended Indefinetly....
    Once a Flea, always a Flea...