Author Topic: Computer Questions  (Read 1115 times)

Offline frroK

• Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 17
  • Soft hated: 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:30:13 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • just a little note, the beauty of linux is that most if not all app can be installed. So if you like Fedoras interface you can still install Debian sci apps with almost no problem.

I have Red Hat 8 install on a Sony Vaio laptop without a top, and it works like a charm. Not that I use it anymore. I love my Mac! this little bugger has been running since 01 with out as much a loud burp.

Dude, I never knew you were such a computer geek(kind of like me) but I must admit I dont know Shyte about linux....

oh and LN tired at 3:40pm?  dude I think your a vampire.... ;)

Offline JerseyJen

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Glassy Lady
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 10:57:03 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • re: mounting windows stuff, concerns for overwriting...
    well, you only have to worry about overwriting windows stuff if you are opening it and editing it, like your spreadsheets.. Just mounting the partition won't hurt anything.

some other things to consider might be installing the win version of openoffice and seeing how it crunches your spreadsheets. This will at least be a good indicator of how full functioned it is. For all I know it may totally rock, but since I've always been either an "engineer" (and I use that term very lightly) or a code monkey I've never had to use office type apps.

if you want to try mounting your drive from linux and aren't sure how, boot the cd and send me the output of "fdisk -l" (that's a lowercase L, not a one) and i'll give you the commands/syntax.  If you don't have network set up, the stuff in the first column (/dev/hd<letter>>) and last column (filesystem type) is enough.
    If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water.--Loren Eisley

Offline The Lone Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 97
    • Soft hated: 8
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 07:22:23 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • most modern linux variants comes with partitionling software and a dual boot loader.

external hd for laptop seems to defeat the purpose of a laptop, no?

Ok, so do you have a pretty standard model laptop--dell, ibm, etc.? do you have the os install/driver disks?
    do you have cd or dvd writable drive or large usb flash drive? are you willing to reinstall all of your software? do you have an email client? which one? dont' want to forget any saved email.

here are the steps that come to mind

1. do a google search on replacing your model laptop hard drive. Does it look easy enough? is it underneath a bunch of brown trout you dont' want to deal with?
    2. use windows file and transfer wizard to move all your settings to file/folder.
    3. burn the file and transfer wizard output file to a cd/dvd.
    4. install new hd
    5. use your os install cds
    6. run all windows updates
    7. run file and settings transfer wizard and chose the folder to burnt to cd.
    8. reinstall all your software
    9. install Linux

there is another way which is better than this.

use imaging software. symatec ghost, etc. Image your entire drive. save it to an external hd (maybe you could borrow one) or dvd if small enough. then install the new hd and write the image back. 

Offline p0wn

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 11:09:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • replacing a laptop hdd is realllly realllly easy. i think their might only be one connector(no molex) on laptops... b/c its so small. Why do you want to install linux? it sucks ass... its basically made for nerdy people to look nerdy. You may be hard pressed to find drivers for the video in your laptop... it's probably integrated, and their may not be drivers for it... i've installed linux a couple times, suse 8 and fedora 64 bit... it always just sucks and i don't use it... their's limited software, and the filesystem is extremely weak.... well that's my opinion. i would just stay where your at, you'll be alot happier and you won't have to go through the hassle of installing it and getting lilo or w/e dual boot you use to work right and not screw your mbr. blah

Offline JerseyJen

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Glassy Lady
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 11:12:36 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • While I disagree with what you say as it applies to my experiences, I will definetely conceed that unix's are not for everybody.

Why do you want to install linux? it sucks ass... its basically made for nerdy people to look nerdy.

i've installed linux a couple times, suse 8 and fedora 64 bit... it always just sucks and i don't use it... their's limited software, and the filesystem is extremely weak.... well that's my opinion.

If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water.--Loren Eisley

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ok.. thanks for the advice.  i've mostly figured it out.  cleaned out my hard drive.  created new partitions.. and a fat32 to place a persistent home and save programs and files.  running knoppix off a dvd for now.  gonna run some tests and make sure this is gonna work out.  figuring out how to get knoppix to configure my wireless correctly to get some internet access up in here.