Author Topic: Search suspended for teen lost in surf in Seaside Heights  (Read 820 times)

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 776
  • Soft hated: 35
  • Captain GoodVibes
  • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.5.2 Firefox 3.5.2
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
    • View Profile
    • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
    • Email
Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline NJ Longboarder

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 36
  • Soft hated: 2
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Internet Explorer 7.0 Internet Explorer 7.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Search suspended for teen lost in surf in Seaside Heights
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:21 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Such a shame.  Middle of the day on a guarded beach.

Last Sunday morning, a guy got stuck on a jetty in SL.  They were eventually able to free him and I haven't heard anything else so I assume he is doing ok.  http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990830045

Gotta be careful out there and keep an eye on each other.  The guys continuing to surf next tot he jetty in the above article should be kicked in the d!ck.  I wasn't there, but with the crowds that day I was shocked that only 4 surfers helped the guy.  Good job to them, the rest out there just surfing away suck!

From the comments section of the web page.  More info about the spring lake guy.  Apparently he is doing well. 

"The surfer here is a friend of mine. I just saw him in the hospital and got the whole story so let me clear things up. He had finished surfing and was on his way in. He was in about 4 feet of water when he laid down on his board to ride some whitewater into the shore. The whitewater somehow popped the back of his board up and tossed him forward. He landed on his head in shallow water. After that he was basically paralyzed from the neck down. He drifted down the beach (gasping for air when he had a chance) for about 30 minutes and eventually ended up in front of a rock jetty. A set wave came in and threw him on top of the jetty. A nearby surfer saw him and came to help him. He said, "I'm not going to let you drowned" and helped pull him into the center of the jetty since he could not really move his body at all. This surfer saved his life because he would not have lasted much longer. If you know the surfer that helped him please have him call me"
    « Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:36:07 AM by NJ Longboarder »

Offline surfcitynj

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 6
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Mac OS X 10.4
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Stories like this always hit me pretty hard. I'm not really sure how I'd handle something like this if I were the guard this happened to. We train and do our jobs to the fullest of our ability, but the ocean will always have her way if she wants. Just makes me think a bit when I'm sitting on the stand. Thankfully (knock on wood) I have never had to do any kind of search to recover a submerged victim. Thoughts go out to the family and friends, and the guard on duty who I'm sure isn't having an easy time either.
    Peace,
    Kyle

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.5
    • Browser:
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Stories like this always hit me pretty hard. I'm not really sure how I'd handle something like this if I were the guard this happened to. We train and do our jobs to the fullest of our ability, but the ocean will always have her way if she wants. Just makes me think a bit when I'm sitting on the stand. Thankfully (knock on wood) I have never had to do any kind of search to recover a submerged victim. Thoughts go out to the family and friends, and the guard on duty who I'm sure isn't having an easy time either.
    Peace,
    Kyle

You were actually the first person I thought of when I read this story - I was hoping that you were back at school - immensely tragic of course for the victim and the family, but also has to be devastating for the guards that were there.  :-\ :-\
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]