Author Topic: fallout from the sewage spill  (Read 678 times)

Offline JerseyJen

• Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Glassy Lady
    • View Profile
    • Email
fallout from the sewage spill
« on: May 07, 2007, 01:23:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was disapointed not to get a mailing from Surfrider or SEA regarding the sewage spill in the Hudson.
    The EPA doesn't begin testing our water for a few weeks, so I was wondering if anyone had any info on
    the spread of the sewage? With the onshores, I thought it might be getting pushed towards the beach.
    Has anyone been in the water today?  Any signs of it being more polluted than usual?
    If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water.--Loren Eisley

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    Re: fallout from the sewage spill
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i drove by the Hudson today a bit downstream by Columbia and the water looked pretty brown - but i doubt that had anything to do with the spill.  You might want to call Riverkeeper at 800-21-RIVER.  I am sure they will have a decent amount of information.  Not sure that much can be done at this point.  Really, this amount of sewage spill is just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to most major CSO events "More than 27 billion gallons of raw sewage and polluted stormwater discharge out of 460 combined sewage overflows (“CSOs”) into New York Harbor each year." (http://www.nynjsurf.com/forum/index.php?topic=10188.15).  Not to mention that it's in the hudson in which it will be diluted by millions of gallons of fresh water unlike CSO into Jamaica bay which empty directly out through a channel directly adjacent to surfing breaks.

If you would like to run the info down for us and post it or email it to me, i'd be happy to get surfrider to email out an advisory if necessary.  In addition, to Riverkeeper and DEP, you could also address your questions to:

Jim Olander of the Harbor Estuary Pathogens Group at 212-637-3833 or Bob Nyman of the Toxics Work Group at 212-637-3809 who might have some thoughts on the matter.
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:18:13 PM by little_nasty »

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 05:45:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • just to add some numbers, the Upper Hudson empties about 11,400 million gallons per day.  So a couple million gallons isn't really that huge of a concentration.  But I'm really really not trying minimize the issue here, believe me.  Just trying to put it in context.

On the other hand, 27 Billion gallons of annual CSO outfall divided by 121 (average # of rainy days for NYC) = at least 223 Million gallons raw sewage and polluted stormwater discharge 121 times a year on an average rainy day.

But let's maybe fill in a little more of the back of the envelope.  Average precipitation is 46.7 in/yr.  Divided by 121 rainy days/yr = .386 in/rainy day.  Doing a little bit of stat guesswork, i'm guessing that the st.dev. is around .133 in/rainy day.  Give that a 1/4 in. will usually result in a CSO event, that puts us 1 st.d. away from the mean.  So roughly 84% or 100 CSO events per year brings our average outfall per event to a nice round 270 Million freaking gallons per CSO event day!!

Let's keep in mind that those gallons are going to be much more diluted than the concentrations that came out of this recent spill during dry weather.  Either way, the whole thing stinks.  But i'd rather keep our Surfrider eye on the ball which is the pervasive CSO events especially near bathing/surfing beaches and long-term solutions, rather then getting bent outta shape about an accidental spill caused by a one-time structural issue.

Dave_in_NJ

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:26:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Jen, thats too far away to worry about , I mean yes worry about it but not for the reasons you posted

Offline JerseyJen

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Glassy Lady
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • yeah, got it. I figured as much, but the available info was a little underwhelming.
    My husband said he heard advisorys for boaters off Yonkers to avoid going into the water at all.
    Husband is a little excitable about sewage, runoff stuff since he seems to catch everything  that goes around.

LN certainly filled in the info gaps and put things into perspective. Thanks for the superb reply!
    If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water.--Loren Eisley