Author Topic: few longboard questions  (Read 757 times)

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 90
  • Soft hated: 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
    • View Profile
    • Email
few longboard questions
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • going to order a custom johnny rice. i have a 9'0 noserider already & am really stoked on it. heading out to santa cruz in september, so figured i may as well get a new one as mines all stress cracked on the bottom. going to get it with 8oz volan, light blue resin tint, single fin with a tail block.

board is 9'0 singlefin with a 4" square tail and a helluva nose concave. really happy with the way it noserides, but would like it to turn a bit better.

what could i have him change to help turn better, but still keep the noserider characteristics? would a rounded pin work better?

how does a pintail noseride?

thanks

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 322
    • Soft hated: 12
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: few longboard questions
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:29:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • lets clarify, what is a noseride to you?  9' and noserider seems like an oxymoron to me but regardless.
        Try to move your fin to the front of the box that should loosed it up considerably do you have sidebites takem out.  Pintails will not turn as easy but will hold better in bigger surf, as for noseriding nothing beats a giant square that traps a ton of water over the tail. 
    "paddleboarding is bullshlt, where's my wine" anonymous

Offline TropicalCreations

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:33:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • lets clarify, what is a noseride to you?  9' and noserider seems like an oxymoron to me but regardless.
        Try to move your fin to the front of the box that should loosed it up considerably do you have sidebites takem out.  Pintails will not turn as easy but will hold better in bigger surf, as for noseriding nothing beats a giant square that traps a ton of water over the tail. 

;D ;D

I agree about the turning issues, but then again why are you worried about turning on a noserider? Drop in setup the line and walk up!!

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:42:25 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

noseride = walk up, wrap toes, walk back, repeat if necessaryŚnot a walk up and sink. i'm only 150lbs, so the 9'0 works pretty well.

i have the fin dead center right now, i'll try to move it up. no sidebites.

thanks for the info

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:44:10 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • ;D ;D

I agree about the turning issues, but then again why are you worried about turning on a noserider? Drop in setup the line and walk up!!

just trying to get the most bang for the buck. never bought a new board before, so i want to get this one right.

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

noseride = walk up, wrap toes, walk back, repeat if necessary—not a walk up and sink. i'm only 150lbs, so the 9'0 works pretty well.

thanks for the info

hmmm, anyone cooberate this walk up and wrap it comment.  You never bought a new board and I am 145 lbs soaking wet and would not consider my 9' to be a terrific noserider, but het what do I know.  I am a bit suspect but isnt the computer cool for example when I am not posting I part time as Batman.

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 07:36:46 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • corroborate away. always got good deals on craigslist and my longboards were all given to me. i can only wrap 5 - maybe 6 times out of 10, working on 10 (wrapped toes that is)... one day it'll come. maybe i'd get it if i rode a longer board (i've never ridden anything longer than a crappy 9'4). i guess advice comes cloaked as the caped crusader sometimes. again, thanks for the info.

lets clarify, what is a noseride to you?  9' and noserider seems like an oxymoron to me but regardless.

noseride = walk up, wrap toes, walk back, repeat if necessary?not a walk up and sink. i'm only 150lbs, so the 9'0 works pretty well.

thanks for the info

hmmm, anyone cooberate this walk up and wrap it comment.  You never bought a new board and I am 145 lbs soaking wet and would not consider my 9' to be a terrific noserider, but het what do I know.  I am a bit suspect but isnt the computer cool for example when I am not posting I part time as Batman.

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:16:17 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've a 8'10" that has a real wide nose (about 19") with some concave there, 15"+ square tail and is thick through out.. Best noserider I have. I'm 190 on a good day. Go figure...

Get a Big Honkin' Fin!!

Turn or not to Turn... if you have to you will! I say get a 9'6".
    Foamies are the new black

Offline onefinookas

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 09:57:57 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've a 8'10" that has a real wide nose (about 19") with some concave there, 15"+ square tail and is thick through out.. Best noserider I have. I'm 190 on a good day. Go figure...

Get a Big Honkin' Fin!!

15" square tail or 4" inch square tail dramatic difference.  My Con Ugly is 9' I dont think is what is he/she talking about.

Offline UNCLE!!

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 33
    • Soft hated: 2
    • local riff raff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The tail block is about 6" or so, I couldn't say for sure, but 12" up from the tail is the 15" wide I was speaking. Tail block is at least 6". I'll measure when I get home. Cuz now I'm curious..

Yeah, home now.. 6" tail block, 15" one foot up and a 19" nose measured 1' back from tip. Kinda Blunt round nose...
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:44:38 AM by cologero »
    Foamies are the new black

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

Get a Big Honkin' Fin!!

i gotta get my buddy to let me ride his square tail before i order a new board. the big fin really helped a lot per jscotts suggestion... made it feel like a much different board.

Offline Mark E

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 57
    • Soft hated: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 10:13:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If you want to make a turn on a longboard you just have to step back, some you have to step back a little, some you have to step way back. On a good noserider you will prolly have to move around a little to make it turn but the fun is in the foot work.
    "Take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they are gone"

Offline TropicalCreations

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 11:31:52 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • If you want to make a turn on a longboard you just have to step back, some you have to step back a little, some you have to step way back. On a good noserider you will prolly have to move around a little to make it turn but the fun is in the foot work.

It definitly takes time to get used to, all i can say about my new 9'6 NR2 is rigid, theres been a couple times i went to do a big sweeping bottom turn and it just didnt or wouldnt happen, the board has one purpose in its current setup, nose ridding. I have an enormous skeg, at least double the size of the second biggest one i have ever owned. And true to what everyones saying the thing nose rides like a dream. No need to stand back or keep your weight balanced with your back foot on a cheater 5, just hardcore long nose rides in even week and small conditions.