Author Topic: Stiff neck solutions?  (Read 419 times)

Offline N.F. Ee

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 5
  • Soft hated: 1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stiff neck solutions?
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I've noticed that after a heavy day of surfing, I tend to get a really sore stiff neck like described here: http://www.necksolutions.com/stiff-neck.html

Yesterday was fun as hell, but right now, the area between neck and right shoulder is burning, and I can barely tilt or turn my head without pain. Anyone know of good treatments or preventions besides not surfing. Massage or acupressure? I already sleep with an orthopedic pillow.

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Stiff neck solutions?
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:32:24 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Neck strain sucks. I focus on glimpse paddling. only fully lift my neck to see I'm going in the right direction or when the next wave is coming. Definitely works for me and seems to help my paddle endurance. I equate it to breathing while freestyle swimming.
    Trust in the board.

jet1a

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I go for a run - even a short 3 miles usually does the trick to loosen up my quickly aging joints. especially my neck piece.

Offline derekdeldeshkin

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 2
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Try heat if it feels really stiff.  If inflamation is you problem (which it prob is) use ice and ibuprofin.  Also, I was talking to a PT at a party this weekend and he suggested chin flexes.  Push your chin all the way back towards your neck and then extend it out.  He said this would open and close the disk that is prob inflamed.  It really helped me out.

Offline N.F. Ee

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:53:25 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Thanks for the tips. I think I'll apply heat and do neck stretches daily as prevention, and apply ice and use painkillers when it flares up. Yesterday was particularly bad and I don't think it'll get any better as I age.

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • listen, don't be a schlub with this surfing - always with the paddle in and out, in and out, in and out through the waves already - no wonder you have the aches and the pains all over - you hurt yourself now and how are you gonna find a nice girl, settle down and make the little grandbabies?  listen to your mother and have some  soup and stay away from that meshugena ocean - enough with the surfing already.

Offline N.F. Ee

• Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • listen, don't be a schlub with this surfing - always with the paddle in and out, in and out, in and out through the waves already - no wonder you have the aches and the pains all over - you hurt yourself now and how are you gonna find a nice girl, settle down and make the little grandbabies?  listen to your mother and have some  soup and stay away from that meshugena ocean - enough with the surfing already.
    Oy vey...