Author Topic: Porpoises  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Jaxson_Dobbs

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
  • Liked: 4
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Porpoises
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So, I've been scanning the ocean for as long I can remember. I stopped down by Jetty 4 in Westhampton after work Tuesday to check the surf. Couple of guys were messing around on a little inside wave a little west of the Jetty proper. As I was scanning the horizon I saw what I believed to be a duck. No big deal. But after watching a few more sets I watched a dorsal fin breach the surface...then another one. They were far enough away from the surfers and heading away so no need to alarm them. I don't even think anybody else saw them. They breached a few more times as they headed on there way east. I've never seen this before and don't believe sharks travel in groups so I figured they were dolphins or some type of small whale. A quick internet search was not helpful but I did find a phone number for the Riverhead Aquarium or something. I spoke to a girl there and now believe what I saw were porpoises. I've never seen them before and no one else reported seeing them. All the internet stuff regarding porpoises around LI only mentioned the Sound. Just wondering if any of you guys have encountered porpoises in the ocean around here.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X 10.11.1 Mac OS X 10.11.1
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0.1 Safari 9.0.1
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Porpoises
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • So, I've been scanning the ocean for as long I can remember. I stopped down by Jetty 4 in Westhampton after work Tuesday to check the surf. Couple of guys were messing around on a little inside wave a little west of the Jetty proper. As I was scanning the horizon I saw what I believed to be a duck. No big deal. But after watching a few more sets I watched a dorsal fin breach the surface...then another one. They were far enough away from the surfers and heading away so no need to alarm them. I don't even think anybody else saw them. They breached a few more times as they headed on there way east. I've never seen this before and don't believe sharks travel in groups so I figured they were dolphins or some type of small whale. A quick internet search was not helpful but I did find a phone number for the Riverhead Aquarium or something. I spoke to a girl there and now believe what I saw were porpoises. I've never seen them before and no one else reported seeing them. All the internet stuff regarding porpoises around LI only mentioned the Sound. Just wondering if any of you guys have encountered porpoises in the ocean around here.

I've seen more pods of dolphin in the last 5 or so years off of Long Beach than the last 20 years before that combined. They're out there, Jax - pretty cool to see them.

;D ;D
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline adk

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 48
    • Soft hated: 2
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was surfing with a few other guys in NJ on Tuesday AM and got buzzed by about a dozen dolphins. It was a mixed species pod and I was unsure if there were a couple of porpoises or if they were just calves.

Sea life here is on the rise. Plenty of seals around these days too. Just a matter of time before someone sees the landlord.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I was surfing with a few other guys in NJ on Tuesday AM and got buzzed by about a dozen dolphins. It was a mixed species pod and I was unsure if there were a couple of porpoises or if they were just calves.

Sea life here is on the rise. Plenty of seals around these days too. Just a matter of time before someone sees the landlord.

All true!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline Patches O'houlihan

• Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 77
    • Soft hated: 7
    • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 50.0.2661.102 Chrome 50.0.2661.102
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:09:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seen plenty of dolphins and porpoises in our waters, saw some humpbacks recently breaching outside the line up. Jumping out of the water and brown trout.

Offline 75Jbass

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 12
    • Soft hated: 1
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:12:59 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Got real close to a pod last summer on the SUP. Also seeing lots of Rays, they swim up to check out the board. On a flat day at a certain inlet, the largest ray I ever saw was sitting on the bottom right about where the lineup would be. The tail was so long I thought it was a cable at first.

Offline uncutproducts

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 90
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - uncutproductsny
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Sharks bro. It's summer. There's millions of sharks out there. Better play it safe and tell everyone there's tons of sharks.

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Browser:
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Here's a couple from this morning in Rockaway:

Photocredit: Our great friend, the one and only Lou Romas.

Offline navara

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 21
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Seen plenty of dolphins and porpoises in our waters, saw some humpbacks recently breaching outside the line up. Jumping out of the water and brown trout.
    I want to swim with a humpback

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk