Author Topic: Wetsuit Suggestions  (Read 392 times)

Offline EasternSurfRider

• Liked: 1
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wetsuit Suggestions
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Im looking at wetsuits at the moment and was wondering if you guys think I'd be alright in a 3/2 suit from May/June-November?  I dont think I'm going to do much surfing in the winter.

Thanks

Online SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    Re: Wetsuit Suggestions
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Yeah...provided you go higher end - if you're going to try and stretch it as far as you can, invest in a high quality chest zip 3/2...you'll def stay warmer. But even at that, expect that at the fringes of your time range, your water time will be limited a bit.
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline RayG

• Hoon
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 189
    • Soft hated: 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 3/2 should be just about right at a minimum- Later in May into early November will be just at the limits. A 4/3 would be a better overall choice due to the fact that the AIR temps can be a real drag at those times. Booties may come in handy for the fringe times. Another thing to consider is your personal tolerance to colder water and/or weather. Myself personally can usually handle the spring suit until late October as long as the sun is out and try and stick out the thinnest rubber for as long as possible. If you're miserable in cooler water and bulk up to a thick suit early, you probably won't enjoy your sessions once it really DOES cool off. Just becasue folks go out and buy the latest technology doesn't mean they enjoy themselves out there. Too many people out there complaining about how cold they are, when others are pulling back the hoods trying to cool off.
    Sent from Coleco Vision NEC Zilog Z80A CPU

Offline Northstreet

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 72
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 3/2 is my least used suit-a couple weeks for the shoulder season......I'd get a good 4/3 and you'll be set for most of the nice weather.....if you sweat in a 5/4/3 in the spring/fall you'd have an all year suit....

Offline Kdropin

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 93
    • Soft hated: 9
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 3/2 xcel drylock

Offline lemon

• Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 3/2 xcel drylock

Agreed. 4/3 is much more versitile than 3/2. Don't think I bought a 3/2 til year 2 of surfing.

Don't skimp, you will regret it. I know I did. There is a huge difference in comfort, durability, and performance from high to low end. Ripcurl, Excel, and O'Neill are all good. Try them all on and pick the one that fits you best. You can usually pick one up on the the cheap on http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/ once you know your size. Surf shops tend to have there sales in the early spring. 5mm boots and gloves wil round you out and aren't to costly (also show up on WM from time to time).