Poll

As a Surfer, are you Better, Same, or Worse than you were a year ago?

Much improved
6 (17.6%)
Somewhat better, at least in my own mind
13 (38.2%)
Eh, about the same as ever
4 (11.8%)
Slightly worse, perhaps because we had an awful fall surf season
6 (17.6%)
Unfortunately a lot worse
4 (11.8%)
I don't surf, I'm just here for the free cookies.
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 20, 2014, 07:10:24 AM

Author Topic: 2013 Year in Review - How do you rate your surfing: Better, Same or Worse?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline SurfeRoss

• Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 45
  • Soft hated: 3
  • Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 26.0 Firefox 26.0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2013 Year in Review - How do you rate your surfing: Better, Same or Worse?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Pretty solid year for me. It's seemed like a "re-building year" in the past because I'll have an injury to deal with, but this year is injury-free, thanks to a new training program I've developed for myself (more on that later).

I have this cycle where I put on some weight in Jan-Feb, and then I'll lose it in the spring. I'll feel fit by July, when all of the waves disappear. Then Fall is awesome, but way too short, and I do my yearly surf trip in November. But, this year, I've broken that cycle by training more consistently.

As far as actual surfing, I'm bogging less on my top turns and my cutback is whipping around with more speed and connecting me to the sections better.

I wouldn't say that my improvements are obvious from the beach, but I think coming into this spring and next fall, things will continue to add up, and soon I'll have a well-rounded repertoire of maneuvers.

Shaped my first board this year, so I've improved my understanding of hydrodynamics. I've been developing sketches for my next one.

My wave forecasting has improved. I've learned to really wait for the best times and not just head out. If I can't go out during the best times, sometimes, I'll find extra work to do and earn money for surf trips. I realized that sometimes if I stay out of the water, I'll actually get to spend more time in better waves through traveling.

Also, I've been working on my surf photography. I got some new equipment this year, and I've been following more photographers online, and I also picked up 25 back issues of The Surfer's Journal on Ebay. And, just think, if I'm on the beach shooting, that's one less surfer in the water, right?

That's my yearly roundup, maybe next year will be my first landed air? Or a couple barrels in one session? I try not to push too hard on goals though, except to enjoy each session and meet more surfers.

Online Dorado

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 284
    • Soft hated: 24
      • View Profile
    2013 Year in Review - How do you rate your surfing: Better, Same or Worse?
    « Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Not sure how much better I've gotten . I do know that the wetsuits are better and the range of easy to ride yet HP  boards , volume displacement  , fin set ups and bottom contours are so much better .
    The ability to forecast swells , dial in equipment , and be on it also has improved every year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nose_manual

• Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 46
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 26.0 Firefox 26.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • For me, stretching more=surfing better + more confidence.  I'm 43.  Just got a 10-class card for Iyengar yoga and I think this should help, too.  I also got a new to me log that is magic and has improved my surfing... looking forward to 2014!  Happy new year to all.

Offline Kyle

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 205
    • Soft hated: 14
      • View Profile
    2013 Year in Review - How do you rate your surfing: Better, Same or Worse?
    « Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ditto on the Happy New Years! And may I "meet more surfers" going in the opposite direction when heading into/or out of the ocean...

Offline Smith St. Surfer

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 37
    • Soft hated: 0
    • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
    • Browser:
    • Chrome 31.0.1650.63 Chrome 31.0.1650.63
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Highlight of the year was "Discovering" the joy of a midsize eggy single fin around the middle of the year when I was in a personal surf lull.  1st few sessions helped my out of shape ass get in a lot more waves then kept going back to it because I found myself drawing completly different lines than I ever had with a stance far more upright and calm than I'm use to on my shorties.   Also, with less stability of a single compared to thrusty/quad setups, I was forced to pay more attention on drops and turns. Stoked to see some of it translate down to my smaller set ups.  Particularly in the "wait" and slowing down before picking a line.   Bottom line, mixing it up with the gear turned into a great learning tool. 

Offline Mayday

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 124
    • Soft hated: 3
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Wow, I'm like a spring chicken in here at the young age of 34. It's been an ok year definitely made an effort to surf more even when it's not perfect, and with two young kids you have to take what you can get. think I've surfed better because my board choices improved, not only by revamping the quiver from the ground up but choosing the right board for the conditions and knowing each ones limitations. 

Offline Loca

• Wahine
    • Regular (Silver)
    • Liked: 24
    • Soft hated: 13
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 6.0 Safari 6.0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • 500% improvement now paid my dues big time! Earn my space in line up but still selfish rather be alone in a quiet spot. Traveling , pushing my limits on land gym run swim all to get a better ride when I get to the aqua, surf an condition .... Won't stop can't stop Beast Mode 2013.  Got barrel for 1st time
    Jesus is Mexican and Bush is Satan! I make the best tacos...Dasit!

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
    • Mac OS X Mac OS X
    • Browser:
    • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Pretty solid year for me. It's seemed like a "re-building year" in the past because I'll have an injury to deal with, but this year is injury-free, thanks to a new training program I've developed for myself (more on that later).

I have this cycle where I put on some weight in Jan-Feb, and then I'll lose it in the spring. I'll feel fit by July, when all of the waves disappear. Then Fall is awesome, but way too short, and I do my yearly surf trip in November. But, this year, I've broken that cycle by training more consistently.

As far as actual surfing, I'm bogging less on my top turns and my cutback is whipping around with more speed and connecting me to the sections better.

I wouldn't say that my improvements are obvious from the beach, but I think coming into this spring and next fall, things will continue to add up, and soon I'll have a well-rounded repertoire of maneuvers.

Shaped my first board this year, so I've improved my understanding of hydrodynamics. I've been developing sketches for my next one.

My wave forecasting has improved. I've learned to really wait for the best times and not just head out. If I can't go out during the best times, sometimes, I'll find extra work to do and earn money for surf trips. I realized that sometimes if I stay out of the water, I'll actually get to spend more time in better waves through traveling.

Also, I've been working on my surf photography. I got some new equipment this year, and I've been following more photographers online, and I also picked up 25 back issues of The Surfer's Journal on Ebay. And, just think, if I'm on the beach shooting, that's one less surfer in the water, right?

That's my yearly roundup, maybe next year will be my first landed air? Or a couple barrels in one session? I try not to push too hard on goals though, except to enjoy each session and meet more surfers.

Nice roundup, SurfeRoss - let me know if you want to post up some of your shots!
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]