Author Topic: Weird Good Will Hunting prophesy of 2005  (Read 904 times)

Offline Badfish

• SFSC
  • Local (Gold)
  • Liked: 60
  • Soft hated: 2
  • The Forgotten Sandflea
    • View Profile
    • Email
Weird Good Will Hunting prophesy of 2005
« on: August 23, 2005, 08:42:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • an exact quote from Goodwill Hunting (1997):
    Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll give it a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. So I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never had a problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Send in the marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a brown trout. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number was called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some guy from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes home to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile my buddy from Southie realizes the only reason he was over there was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish to scare up oil prices so they could turn a quick buck. A cute little ancillary benefit for them but it ain't helping my buddy at $2.50 a gallon. And naturally they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what do I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. Why not just shoot my buddy, take his job and give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.

Lets see: War in the Middle East, centered around oil-- check
    gas hikes to $2.50 a gallon -- haha you wish it was only $2.50, double check
    bomb a village: well check, but redundant since its a war
    club a baby seal: no oil spill (yet) but given Dubya's environmental policy we can say one thing -- check
    hit the hash pipe: check, along with cocaine and being an alcoholic
    member of the national guard: thats texas AIR national guard mister. -- check
    Could be elected president: not only could he be elected president...he could do it for two terms!

Personally i find it amazing at how in 1997 , making the script even a few years older, matt damon (or ben affleck) wrote pretty much an accurate statement of what life would be like in 10 years (now)
    Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. - Bertrand Russell

Psycho

Re: Weird Good Will Hunting prophesy of 2005
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:48:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  •  ;D Good point. nice observation. dang.

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 29
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 11:48:32 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • man, that's nice!

Offline Spindrift

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 3
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Good catch. Only thing not really suprising is predicting war in the middle east because there has ALWAYS been war in the middle east since the day the world began. But everything else is spot on.

happy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 07:58:44 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • oy vey!

Psycho

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 09:23:19 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • It is a nice little corelation tho ya gotta admit, how'd you see that? were you just watching the movie & say  "hey, thats sounds firmiliar"?

Offline Some people call me Maurice

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
    • Soft hated: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - LIsurf615
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 09:41:31 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • wow

Offline three_fins_out

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 35
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 10:31:04 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • badfish is the new nostradamus
    can you here me now...good

Offline Badfish

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 60
    • Soft hated: 2
    • The Forgotten Sandflea
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:56:44 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i caught the possible correlation a few years ago, with the air national guard, war in the middle east, and environmental policy...then 2.50 a gallon came true and i was even more impressed.....since its my favorite movie ive seen it countless times and can basically recite it line by line so i guess one day it just dawned on me that this was pretty much fact....(also, its fun at bars to tell girls im one of 13 boys and be able to name them all)
    Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. - Bertrand Russell

Mims

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:58:28 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Walken in 2008

Psycho

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 01:17:34 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • "Christopher Walken" in 2008!