Author Topic: Surfing and Christianity  (Read 1027 times)

Offline NORTH_OF_NORCAL

• Local Access
  • Regular (Silver)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surfing and Christianity
« on: August 11, 2005, 02:33:31 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have a Mario-like musing that was precipitated when I opened a ceiling board rack I ordered from Rocky Racks. Inside I found an "IQ Test" which explained that "godisnowhere" can be read as "god is nowhere," but it can also be read as "god is now here." (yes, I know god should be capitalized -- back off, grammar studs!) It went on about theft and commiting adultery in my heart and murdering someone by hating them, etc. It ended, like most tracts do by urging me to repent, read the bible daily and obey what I read.

I first wondered what my rack had to do with all this, and why would anyone think that I would want or need this along with my order -- It wasn't mentioned on the invoice.

I then began to think more about the christianity-surfing connection. I received a great tract last summer at Huntington with phrases like "god is so rad!" and such. It's probably still floating around the bungalow. Maybe this connection has been explored in other threads and I'm going over a beaten to death topic. But what is up with this, really? Yes, surfing is spiritual to many of us, and I can see the obvious connections. But if the rapture is coming, do christian surfers think they can leave their litter on the beach? Is there a Surfrider christian contingent? Contemporary christian interpretations of the bible regard the earth and everything on it as being placed here by god for mankind's enjoyment, and not to be preserved because of the rapture, etc.
    I see this as being in direct conflict with scientific evidence that the oceans are in trouble, just ans I see evolution as being in conflict with "intelligent" design. (Don't get me started on that. There's a good reason we didn't move to Kansas, besides the fact that they don't have oceans.)

Is there anyone on this board that identifies as a christian surfer that can explain this sub-sect of surfing culture?

Discuss.

Offline donkey punch

• SFSC
      • AOL Instant Messenger - arb454
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Surfing and Christianity
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 08:43:02 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • calling...zeebeedeebee
    Once a Flea, always a Flea...

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 09:45:22 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I'm sorry but, I really would find it hard to believe someone on this site would identify them selves as a Christian Surfer. I am sure there are surfers who are Christians, but I don't think anyone here links the two.
    Trust in the board.

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 10:12:02 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • cant say i know much about christian surfers, so i dont think i'd have much to say about the whole rapture thing.

i think you're  looking in the wrong place, arcatabubbala. check this guy out. aunt judy would approve.

http://www.surfingrabbi.com/pt-article.htm

The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Mims

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 10:15:28 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • pagans surf naked

Offline veggielasagna

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 10:35:39 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I dont know what this has to do with christians but its damm sure funny....gonna make it my new screen saver

I knew I would never be hard core. So I tried to be soft core. Instead, I’m just an apple core.

Mims

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Think they wax?

Offline NORTH_OF_NORCAL

• Local Access
    • Regular (Silver)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

• I'm sorry but, I really would find it hard to believe someone on this site would identify them selves as a Christian Surfer. I am sure there are surfers who are Christians, but I don't think anyone here links the two.

Hooray for you for this image, even though I ended my post by saying discuss, not post inane brown trout.

Veggie, did you pick up the dishes yet? Jackie and I were wondering while we paddled out yesterday...

Offline veggielasagna

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 11:24:43 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have seen christain surfer t-shirts in northern florida. it was in an area that is considered part of the bible belt so it didnt suprise me

Aracata- check your PMS
    I knew I would never be hard core. So I tried to be soft core. Instead, I’m just an apple core.

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 11:31:08 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I did a little of both. Besides I was fealling a little vaklempt so I thought I would give you a topic to discuss amongst your selves.
    Trust in the board.

Offline HydroGlide

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 133
    • Soft hated: 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Better to examine the connection between former addiction and Christianity (see W).   Guys who burn out and realize they have to stop indulging immediately or wind up like the freaky Grizzly Bear guy (another of Long Island's finest) who got eaten by his "family" up in Alaska, often turn to Jesus, coffee and cigarettes as a substitute for 4 day black-out binges.  Not to stereotype surfers but some of this non-biblebelt surf/christianity connection may be nothing more than the only road to take after the pharmaceutical party trail ends.

Offline uptown

• SFSC
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 12:45:48 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

•  "christian" is a pretty big umbrella.  i think most of us secular, left-leaning urbanites tend to think of "chiristians" as fundamentalist wackos.  sure, there are plenty of fundamentalists out there, and unfortunately we have a government right now that represents that camp and seems to have no regard the separation between church and state-- this sucks and is actually downright threatening.  also, i've always been suspicious of any group that feels the need to convert you and seek you out unsolicited, by ringing the doorbell or sending a message when you buy a product.

i would just say that to balance out the wackos, there are many other types of christians out there with diverse interpretations of scripture and diverse political/social ideologies.  i basically do my own thing now, but grew up in an episcopalean family.  the episcopal church in the US is one of the most socially progressive in the world, along with the quakers and the unitarians.  they just ordained an openly gay bishop, for example.  there are now gay and lesbian groups and networks throughout the church.  i know of one that has been very visible and active for years now. 

so that's one end of the spectrum.  at the other end are wackos, and in the middle are millions of normal people like you and me who don't try to convert people and don't hold radical beliefs about things like the rapture, etc.

i would just want everyone to remember that all christians are not fundamentalist wackos, the same way that all muslims are not.

moondoggie-- hope you are having fun out there-- will put you in touch with my cousin who is half jewish/half goy.  the only thing he will try to convert you to is bonzers, so not to worry ;)

Offline little_nasty

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 22
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 01:17:38 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • my take is simply that born-agains are vociferous and obtrusive about their beliefs & religion and thus garner your attention.  They are a squeaky wheel on the religious wagon.

RayG

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 02:40:29 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down

•