Author Topic: Mac owners, convince me  (Read 399 times)

Offline Tom!

• Local Access
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 0
  • Soft hated: 0
  • Airborne!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tomnqs
    • View Profile
Mac owners, convince me
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Im looking for a new laptop since the company yanked theirs the other day when I resigned.  Im very well versed with the ins and outs of Windows, doing my diagnostics and fixing registry and other big problems that arise.  I hate Vista which is why Im considering this

To those who made the switch from PC to Mac what was your computer experience level? What is the MAc lacking and what does it do so much better than a windows machine?
    Is it worth the high price tag?
    What kind of life span are you getting out of a Mac vs a PC?  Same, more, less?  Does memory need refurbing/replacing over time?
    Anything I am missing feel free to add.

thanks
    Tom

Offline FMBoros

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 2
      • AOL Instant Messenger - brsmnky777
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: Mac owners, convince me
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:58:47 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • experience level .... beginner intermediate, experienced  but not a programmer.
    what does it do better .... everything. never get one of those "windows did some illegal brown trout and is shutting down" messages.
    price tag .... yes its worth it, models depending. peep macrumors.com to see when new models are expected, this way you don't buy something that will be revamped shortly. if you do, and apple upgrades their line, they take care of you if it happens within 30 days.
    im using one of the last generation IBM chip powerbooks, ive had it for 3 years and nine months, used it for a lot of things ranging from basics to hard core music production and multi track recording. it still works! make sure you get apple care.
    ive never had to replace memory.... at least havent known i needed to replace it.
    i even have a second monitor i hook up to my power book. printers and cameras and scanners are a cinch to work with, no drivers needed really. all plug and play.
    again, make sure you get apple care. macs dont have any minor problems, but you will encounter one or two major problems during the machines life span. however with apple care they are good with fixing it quickly and getting it back to you.. the one time i sent mine in, they paid for shipping, and i got it back in 2 days.
    Just a dream away....

Offline PTSD

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 30
    • http://abtsliving.com/2.0/
      • AOL Instant Messenger - bigpox
      • View Profile
      • ABTS Living
      • Email
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:59:51 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Why wife got me a refurb-Mac AirBook. It was single handedly the the sexiest object I have ever held. It brought me back to my TRS-80 and Com 64 days of OMG, this is the best gift ever. Think of the Lexus commercial but much more nerdy version of it.

It broke after I updated the software. It's back in Apple land now and I'm thinking of getting a sofa instead, I already have two mac lap tops but not an airbook  :'( !

Anyway long story short, Ubuntu baby.
    Actually you can load ubuntu onto a mac lappy in a snappy.

As far as OSX goes, I honestly feel it is the most stable, most flashy OS or the market.

On another market note, I just watch about 40 mins of MSNBC going on and on about Steve Jobs, and Cook and Ivy. Apple is in the middle of a big whoha at the moment but their products are still amazingly great.

Offline frroK

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 17
      • AOL Instant Messenger - frrok
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I <3 MAC.  ::)

Offline tummee

• Forecast Subscriber
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 7
    • Soft hated: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • One pertinent fact that may persuade you: new Intel Macs can run Windows, too.

Will take some familiarity with installing OS's, partitioning your hard drive, etc., but the Intel processor will let you install Windows on a separate partition, which you can run contiguously with the Mac OS. BONUS - the Mac OS is now built on a UNIX framework, so if you have any CS/IT aspirations, you can have the big 3 all on one machine.

I use a PC at work, and a Mac at home. Both have their purposes, but I prefer Macs, having used them for 20 years.

PROS: stability (still virtually virus-free), clean and intuitive interface, versatile, VERY media-friendly (music, video, photos), quality design and aesthetics, aforementioned cross-platfrom
    CONS: initial cost, less available software overall (but you can absolutely get what you need, from Photoshop to MSOffice for Mac)

Seconding FMb... if you are new to Macs, def get the AppleCare. Well worth the investment. Also - spend as much as you can on the machine outright. This mitigates additional investment later. Most computers have a 2-year shelf life, and Apple is true to form here. Only deviation from this is buying a desktop, which - with some experience - is very easy to update. I'm poised to replace a seven-year-old Mac that has been able to keep up with the latest OS updates with minor hardware tweaks.

Good luck with your decision!

Offline jammy

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 51
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • tom, i am a longtime mac user. that being said, i can see why people would stick with PCs, particularly because of the wide array of software, including shareware and freeware. also, every time i send photos and such to my mother, who is on a PC, it becomes a somewhat complex endeavor for her to get the images out of the email and up on the screen. so if you will be sending docs and such for business, would it be prudent to stay with a pc?

it does not seem as easy to get into the operating system on a mac as on a pc. i have zero expertise, but i did manage to poke around my husband's virus-plagued pc in a way i have never poked around my mac.

macs are great for creative applications, they are very user friendly and even fun, and they are not prone to viruses.

the advice to get applecare is absolutely key. when macs go down, they go down big. with applecare, apple will repair and return a computer in no time.

DO NOT get a refurbished mac. my laptop was a refurbished model and it was not worth the minor savings. it went back to mac 4 times under applecare and has had parts like the keyboard and powercord wear out after applecare had expired. my feeling is once a lemon always a lemon. perhaps bb's macbook air experience is another example of this. he would have to chime in on that.
    NLITB

Offline SeaCliff

• Administrator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 776
    • Soft hated: 35
    • Captain GoodVibes
      • AOL Instant Messenger - SurfRxNY
      • Yahoo Instant Messenger - surfrxny
      • View Profile
      • NYNJSurf.com: Surf Information for LI and the Jersey Shore...
      • Email
    « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I hate Vista which is why Im considering this

We use exclusively Window-XP machines - you can still buy them from multiple sources and they will be available for the foreseeable future. (That said, I totally agree - you couldnt pay me to use Vista. For all the bad publicity it's gotten, my personal experience has been that it's even worse.)
    Webmaster, NYNJSurf.com - Follow NYNJSurf on Instagram - click here ---> @NYNJSurf - Site Comments, questions or requests? Email me! [email protected]

Offline waveslider

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 38
    • Soft hated: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I have used pc's for a long long time.  Have had a bunch of dells and never really had major problems except for some viruses from limewire and napster.  Most recently my dell laptop just decided to crap out, dont know how dont know why.  After 6 years it served its purpose.  Well long story short I got a macbook for christmas.  I love it so far.  For what i use my computer for photos, music, interweb browsing and some powerpoint and word stuff(got microsoft office for it) its a ton easier than a pc.  I love it.

Offline PSYCHO

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:37:05 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • iMac & Cheese, It just goes together! Do it! The 1rst time you iChat from a far away place with your gal & buddies, your hooked on Mac forever!