Author Topic: holy farking brown trout  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
  • Local Hero (Platinum)
  • Liked: 310
  • Soft hated: 6
  • Gil wouldn't go....
    • View Profile
holy farking brown trout
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline Badfish

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 60
    • Soft hated: 2
    • The Forgotten Sandflea
      • View Profile
      • Email
    Re: holy farking brown trout
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 12:53:17 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • i agree with that....keeping in mind that intelligent design does not mean teaching the creationism story of adam and eve or the 7 days.... the intelligent design theory and the theory of evolution are not opposites either and can be taught hand in hand. The intelligent design theory just states that maybe there is a higher power that created everything, but does not explain how everything was formed. Evolution is a theory that tries to explain how everything was formed yet does not explain how or what created everything. (ie. why couldnt the intelligent designer form the world that we know of through evolution. Also, if we accept the Big Bang theory then we must decide 1. if it is possible for a living thing to form, naturally, from nonliving gases and particles. 2. figure out where the particles and gases and space itself for the matter began from nothing)

I do realize that the intelligent design theory offers no real explanation to these questions either (if the intelligent designer made everything then how was the intelligent designed created?) but it is a theory and there is atleast some reason to atleast accept the possibility of this being true. If it is to be taught in public schools i would just hope that it is taught without strong religious undertones (adam and eve story ect) and that the many flaws of the theory (like how it really doesnt address much other than taking the mystery of creation a degree higher before accepting we have no idea how the universe was created)
    Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. - Bertrand Russell

Psycho

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 07:34:55 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I think this class would be fine as long as it teaches children about ALL religions, all the different types of ethnicities, origins & regions, also the culture of the religion accurately but somehow, I just dont think that in the middle of Kansas & Texas it'll be tought correctly. They still cant get the whole Idea that ethnic groups have the same right to even be in this country as much as any average Joe white person.

“I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought,” Bush said. “You’re asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes.”

Lets see how he feels about that when people actually learn about all the religions (if they tell the truth about things) & all of a sudden start converting to Islam or budism in their southern towns. Then im sure there will be an uproar that the school turned there kids into a terrorist. ::) people may not think thats possable but TRUST ME, there is no end to the Ignorence in this country & how much power they have over the education system here. Shoot where Im from, If it aint Christian or Baptist, you literaly a devil woreshiping, athiest, gay. hippy, childmolester, theif, killer junky. Ya think Im kidding but theese are all the names people called anyone who wasnt present every sunday at the local Tabernacle due to a different lifestyle or religion. I heard the pastors & preachers tell stories about the path & how people who did not except Jesus through the baptist or catholic church, would sway & take the road to satan. Heaven help if you were Jewish, man they would accuse them of everything from the stereotypical to made up stuff like , "Dont ever stand next to a Jew, they will steal your soul with every breathe they take, sorta like cats with babies." Even in school I remember the Principle would say his own prayer in the morning & everyone no matter what religous belief  they were had to stand & bow their heads & he would even preach & single people out saying, "lets hope Mikey Epstain finds the path soon so that his family will not burn for all eternity, let us pray for him and their sins."

Now these people are gonna go teach about creation? there gonna teach about equality? Yeah lemme see this happen. This is why theres no church in school, to protect thje rights of people who believe or dont believe in their own religions.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 07:51:04 AM by Psycho »

Offline Årne Longbörgenssen

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 310
    • Soft hated: 6
    • Gil wouldn't go....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 08:06:09 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • wrong.
    wrong.
    wrong.
    intelligent design "theory" is just covert creationism. whether you belive it or not, evolution is a theory based on scientific priciples, and is the best scientific explanation of how we got here that anyone has come up with so far. creationism and intelligent design are non-scientific belief systems and have no place being taught alongside evolution. if ya wanna teach em in a religion class fine.

this is yet another step in this contry slipping down the toilet.
    The energy contained in one kilogram of thorium
    equals four thousand tons of coal

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
    • Soft hated: 0
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 08:50:33 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I wish I had the time to walk around and ^%$^$ ^%%#$ every time someone #%$%@^&&^#. That being said there is now way I can comment on this with out pissing someone off so have a #@$%*&# nice day.
    Trust in the board.

Bubbala

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 09:03:46 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The fact that this issue is even being debated by serious people is evidence that this country is going down the shitter faster than a high-density turd.

Psycho

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 10:33:28 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Ive been sayin this for a looooong time theyre slowly weeding their personal beliefs into the constitution. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing. there is absolutely no doubt that religion is the best way to get people on yer side becuase it is the popular culture. remove the intelecua voice & add religous & patriotic slogans & you will win in every vote takin. people are afraid not to vote for the person claiming the faith. What better way to start the ball rollin again for the future of the conservative party's. teach em young so by the time theyre old enough to vote, the words God & country & all else will slip under the carpet. Its the beginning of it.

Offline Shacky

• Global Moderator
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 87
    • Soft hated: 3
      • AOL Instant Messenger - mcfloater
      • View Profile
      • CONDO
    « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 11:35:24 AM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • saw this earlier in the week.  as soon as i saw the headline i quit reading.
    You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

http://www.condotheband.com

Offline Badfish

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • The Forgotten Sandflea
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 12:05:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • personally i think it shouldnt be taught in schools due to alot of the reasons psycho gives (ie. people turning intelligent design into a lesson on Adam and Eve, especially in the bible belt)    in an ideal world tho i dont think there would be much reprocussion (backlash, yes, but would anyone truly be harmed?) if a teacher stated that some theorize that there might be an unknown creator that had some part to do in creating creation and then informed of all the theories flaws, in fact doing so would probably help kids to believe more in evolution. Place yourself in the mind of some bible belt kid, you go to school and not only learn about evolution but also learn this intelligent design theory including all of its flaws. This raises questions in little Jimmy's mind, "Mom and Dad always told me it was creationism (or if they are "liberal bible belters" intelligent design) and they always made it sound so convincing, but now I'm not so sure"   You see by teaching it you can put a children in an environment that promotes educated decision making, if it is not taught at schools then you are merely pitting one sound theory (evolution) against another "sounder" theory, Intelligent design, not because it is but because if you think Mr and Mrs Smith will tell Jimmy all or any flaws behind this theory (which is tied so close to their religious beliefs) then I think you might be delusional.
    By the way, I'm personally an agnostic, so I'm not going around preaching that Bishop Ussher is the best scientist in the world (He's the guy who "scientifically proved," from the Bible mind you, that the earth was created on October 23rd 4004 BC(E). 
    Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. - Bertrand Russell

Mims

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • fossils, people. there are farking fossils. we evolved. end of story.
    the creation and intellectual design are basically fables told to explain the beginning. All cultures and faiths have their own version. But it's just a story to explain what couldn't, at the time, be explained. intellectual design is basically a modern version of the creation. It's kind of like that middle ground for people that refuse to admit that maybe the bible is just a book of stories.

Offline skSURF

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 1
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 12:50:03 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • personally i think it shouldnt be taught in schools due to alot of the reasons psycho gives (ie. people turning intelligent design into a lesson on Adam and Eve, especially in the bible belt)    in an ideal world tho i dont think there would be much reprocussion (backlash, yes, but would anyone truly be harmed?) if a teacher stated that some theorize that there might be an unknown creator that had some part to do in creating creation and then informed of all the theories flaws, in fact doing so would probably help kids to believe more in evolution. Place yourself in the mind of some bible belt kid, you go to school and not only learn about evolution but also learn this intelligent design theory including all of its flaws. This raises questions in little Jimmy's mind, "Mom and Dad always told me it was creationism (or if they are "liberal bible belters" intelligent design) and they always made it sound so convincing, but now I'm not so sure"   You see by teaching it you can put a children in an environment that promotes educated decision making, if it is not taught at schools then you are merely pitting one sound theory (evolution) against another "sounder" theory, Intelligent design, not because it is but because if you think Mr and Mrs Smith will tell Jimmy all or any flaws behind this theory (which is tied so close to their religious beliefs) then I think you might be delusional.
    By the way, I'm personally an agnostic, so I'm not going around preaching that Bishop Ussher is the best scientist in the world (He's the guy who "scientifically proved," from the Bible mind you, that the earth was created on October 23rd 4004 BC(E). 
    In short yes it could be harmful to me. If I choose to bring my child up as an atheist I don't want any religion taught to him. Especial from a teacher. Children are very easily influenced and children often have lots of respect for their Teachers (at least most of them) opinion. If this is such an argument Might I suggest not mentioning it in school. I don't even remember more then one class lesson on this entire subject while I was at school. There is plenty of coverage outside of school on this topic. If a student then chooses to peruse biology outside of public school then by all means let them preach what they want. We can teach how things evolve without mentioning people and in modern times. IE the white butterfly in an  English dogwood forest went extinct during the industrial revolution because the trees went black but mutant butterflies that were dark survived. When environmental restrictions were applied the white butterflies returned and the black ones died off.
    Trust in the board.

Offline -luke

• Local Access
    • Semi-Regular (Bronze)
    • Liked: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 05:42:14 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • very depressing . 

Offline Some people call me Maurice

• Local Access
    • Local (Gold)
    • Liked: 0
      • AOL Instant Messenger - LIsurf615
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 06:00:40 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • to me with each post my opinon keeps on changing a little, while  i think that us kids shud be introduced to differenct ideas and theorys, but i also believe that that the bible beliefs and religious theorys of the creation of everything should not be tought in school. im not an expert on intellectual design but the way it sounds to me is if its taught without any refrence to religious beliefs that it mite not be that bad of an idea to teach it. the only things is that is way too closely related to religion (adam and eve, and god as the supreme being) because of this close relation kids mite not understand or notice the difference between intellectual design and a religious theory of creation

Now these people are gonna go teach about creation? there gonna teach about equality? Yeah lemme see this happen.

this is also another reason why this mite not be sucha great idea. ur gonna have the type of teachers and prinicpals that psycho was describing teaching this stuff to kids in sum states. if these types of teachers are gonna be allowed to teach intellectual design theory, it will end up turning into a sunday school. for the most part i dont think it should happen, we cant have peoples personal beliefs being taught to very easily influenced kids in school

Psycho

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 07:41:43 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I hear ya , there is something to be said about the structure something like religion can set up Morally. I dont believe that Religious morals are the only way to teach right & wrong tho. Simple concience & common sesne can be instilled into children with out trying to make them believe their "Souls" will rot in hell for eternity.

Mims said it very well, there are so many dfferent cultures, so many different places & many of which Jesus never traveled & yet almost all religions are based on the same principles. be good, do as god says according to the man made so called Quotes left behind by a mysterious dream a "holy Person" explained after an awkward night of sleep & rumors of the unexplained instances that were always so seeming ly linked with the Holy person. A man.

As long as theres something we dont understand there will be religion or believs based on a religion. Problem is in this stage of our eveolution (in my opinion) we still are not ready for the true meaning of the universe, that & its to conficting & hard to deal with the unkown so its easier for people to say, Fuq all this, I learned one way, Im going back to it. its too hard to be free enough to think clearly about the uncertain stories that science is now showing could be false & conjoured to protect & controll scvociety for tousands of generations.

Not saying there isnt something , just saying I belive Man could never  understand what a God would really want or even understand what a God is let alone carry out his actions or pass judgement based on their own education of this Gods will. Its a Joke. people just wanna play god & condemn others for not being Godly enough.

Shoot its a cinudrum,
    They play God like this,
    "I must force people into religion & show them the way of Gods will."
    They accuse tohers of it like this,
    "You shouldnt use stem cells to play God."

No difference, Hell the 1rst test tube baby turned 25 years old in July & she's normal healthy & Satan has not risen thru her, so what gives with the stem cells? Who cares its just the new media bliss to gain controll of a populas using the same dredged up recycled crap that didnt prove anything with the test Tube baby. no one knows shiz, bottom line, Middle Americans are following the flock like theyve been told since birth & the Government knows how to use it like a passed down trade from father to son, to duaghter to cousin.

Offline Badfish

• SFSC
    • Local (Gold)
    • The Forgotten Sandflea
      • View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 12:58:53 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I pretty much agree with you on that psycho, the role of religion today and for thousands of years seems to be wrong, it should be used as a guide on how to live, not an instruction booklet that must be followed to the tee. I don't really think it matters if Jesus, Muhammed, Siddharta, and Abraham ever really existed at all as long as we can learn something from the message, come to think of it I probably can't say it any better than Yan Martel's Life of Pi. I know it was a best seller and all but I wonder how that book was reviewed in places like the Bible belt.