• Soft hated: 0
  • Airborne!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tomnqs
    • View Profile
bubba
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:43:39 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • Whats your opinion on a magistrate of the court using personal beliefs to make a ruling? 

Report: Anti-War Judge Rejects Foster Teen's Bid to Join Marines
    A California judge rejected a foster teen's request for early enlistment with the Marine Corps — and a $10,000 signing bonus — reportedly on the grounds that the judge didn't approve of the Iraq war.

Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Marilyn Mackel denied 17-year-old Shawn Sage's request to join the military last October, according to a report in the Los Angeles Daily News.

"The judge said she didn't support the Iraq war for any reason we're over there," Marine recruiter Sgt. Guillermo Medrano of the Simi Valley U.S. Marine Corps recruiting office told the paper.

"She just said all recruiters were the same — that they 'all tap dance and tell me what I want to hear.' She said she didn't want him to fight in it."

Sage, a Simi Valley, Calif., resident, begged the anti-war judge for permission to join, according to the Daily News.

"Foster children shouldn't be denied [an] ability to enlist in the service just because they're foster kids," Sage told the paper. "Foster kids shouldn't have to go to court to gain approval to serve one's country."

Sage plans to join the Marines when he turns 18 in June and his case has prompted a Republican lawmaker to introduce a bill that would allow foster teens to enlist in the military without the express permission of a judge.
    Rock on Sisyphus. See you on the hill.

Offline PSYCHO

• Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 25
    • Just add water
      • View Profile
      • Earthmovers
    Re: bubba
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I would have to read this when I get home but if this is true, its efed up. BUT I know your gonna use this to some how blame all Democrats or antiwar supporters for something bad. There are extreme a-holes on both sides of the fense, I guess this was sorta like the Anti-Draft? I dont know. lol!

Offline Tom!

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 0
    • Airborne!
      • AOL Instant Messenger - tomnqs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • I would have to read this when I get home but if this is true, its efed up. BUT I know your gonna use this to some how blame all Democrats or antiwar supporters for something bad. There are extreme a-holes on both sides of the fense, I guess this was sorta like the Anti-Draft? I dont know. lol!
    I dont blame democrats for this or the bombing in times square.  That's you jumping to conclusions. 
    Im not arguing politics with you guys anymore as its more interesting to watch you all argue amongst yourselves. 
    I think the judge ruling is right to not rule the kid eligible to enlist, but the basis for the ruling seems like an abuse of authority. 
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 05:11:35 PM by Casual Friday »
    Rock on Sisyphus. See you on the hill.

Offline Harry Balzsac

• Local Access
    • Local Hero (Platinum)
    • Liked: 169
    • Soft hated: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »
  • Go Up
  • Go Down
  • The only people quoted in the story are a marine recruiter and the kid who wanted to enlist.  I'd be interested in hearing the whole story before I make any judgment.  Obviously if the judge is making her judgment based on her feelings against the war, then she is not doing her job and should probably be censured.